Scanner for Airband

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, just wondering what the best scanner for me is for planespotting. I use a Uniden EZI33XLT and I'd like to by an antenna that i can use at the airport and at my home (approx. 20 miles).

Thank you in advance,
Matt ✈️

questnz

For scanner try Uniden BC125AT, good value for the money
Handheld antenna try Watson W-901
Outdoor antenna try DPD Productions Omni-X

Good luck

nanZor

The best handheld antenna for a broadband scanner dedicated solely to vhf airband is an Icom FA-B02AR.

Why? The Icom duck is *narrow* band, not just resonant yet still wideband like most others. The FA-B02AR is what comes with Icom's airband transceivers, so you find them at pilot shops online, and possibly over the counter at your local FBO office.

Most helpful for scanners with a broad front-end. Even for scanners that don't suffer from desense and overload, the noise floor can be lower which is another improvement.

Resonance doesn't mean squat if the antenna is still wideband. The Icom FA-B02AR is very narrow, and as such is only useful for VHF airband. If that is your primary interest at the time, this duck is highly recommended for any scanner over most other broadband types - no matter if they are resonant or not.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Sounds good, but...what actual difference could one expect to hear with the Icom antenna, vs something like the Diamond RH77-CA which IMO does very good on airband?

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
TheSouthWalesSpotter - I recommend the ICOM IC-R6 Communications Receiver, its one of the most sensitive Scanner/Receivers on the market for AIR Band, it pulls in Signals that get overloaded or faint Signals BETTER than any scanner can and cost is pretty low for what you get. It can even TUNE Military AIR band as well. and Because its a CR not a cheap scanner it SCANS / SEARCHES faster. as for the Antenna, keep the Included Antenna for a spare but get a Radio Shack telescoping Center Loaded HAM antenna or a Diamond RH-77CA.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
When searching for a portable air band scanner recently, I kept hearing about the virtues of the BC125AT so I bought one (99$ new from reputable eBayer) and I am very pleased with it. Using either a Watson W-889 telescoping angled antenna and it came alive. Several groups for local air, several for milair, and lots of room left for various other vhf/uhf freqs (including a group for rail, and a group for hams). This scanner performs as advertised. Great little radio!

Takes the analog load off of my TRX-1 and SDS100 when I am out and about monitoring the airwaves :)

JD
kf4anc

scannermike11

Banned
you might look for used bcd396t on the used market it also a great air band radio i used mine every day and it works great on air band

nanZor

Sounds good, but...what actual difference could one expect to hear with the Icom antenna, vs something like the Diamond RH77-CA which IMO does very good on airband?

Heh, it's what you CAN'T hear. The Icom FA-B02AR airband transceiver antenna is very narrow. That means it is terrible at receiving the FM broadcast band. Likewise reception of amateur 2 meters, and vhf-hi pretty much sucks. UHF is also a wash.

On some of the older dual-conversion scanners (and even some new models with 1980's style dual-conversion), I used to get hammered by Amateur 2m packet transmitters desensing my airband monitoring. Even with the Uniden and GRE oem antennas. Even worse with the Diamond RH77. Put on the narrow Icom, and it's a whole world of difference. No attenuator!

That means the typical weak front end of a scanner is less susceptible to overload and desense from neighboring services surrounding vhf airband.

The Diamond RH77-CA is VERY GOOD at receiving neighboring services, being wideband in nature, and this may not be the best fit for your over-sensitive scanner.

Even on my treasured older Unidens, I noticed a lower noise floor overall, and usually a quicker-to-open squelch in congested rf areas. Kind of bulky on my Icom R6 with adapters, but I feel it is worth it there too.

It sounds like marketing, but because of that lower noise floor, the overall performance of the shorter narrowband Icom antenna, is equal or surpasses that of the Diamond *in this airband application.*

Last edited by a moderator:

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Excellent, thanks for the detailed explanation. I may have to experiment with one, especially on my trusted R6.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Are the air band freqs the same over there in Wales as they are in the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.