Scanner NOT scanning system

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpRiver

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Jackson, Mississippi
I downloaded from RR's DB all conventional and trunked systems in Hinds, Madison and Rankin counties.

I then sent Jackson's trunk system (ONLY) to my scanner. My scanner scans the four Jackson police precincts, etc. successfully and I can hear the transmissions just fine.

I then sent Rankin county's trunk system to my scanner but I hear nothing.

:confused:
 

hankv

Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
371
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
UpRiver said:
I downloaded from RR's DB all conventional and trunked systems in Hinds, Madison and Rankin counties.

I then sent Jackson's trunk system (ONLY) to my scanner. My scanner scans the four Jackson police precincts, etc. successfully and I can hear the transmissions just fine.

I then sent Rankin county's trunk system to my scanner but I hear nothing.

:confused:

Did you add The second county frequencies to the SAME system as the first county's frequencies? That might cause problems. Set it up as a second Type 2 system to see if that helps.

Are you using Control Channel Only? If you program the frequency into a conventional system (as a test) can you hear the Control Channel? Some locations rotate Control Channels to alternate frequencies within their assigned group.
 

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
12,935
Reaction score
11
Location
Katy, TX
As pointed out above, if you put them in the same bank/system they will not work, Jackson is an EDACS system and Rankin Co. is a Motorola system. Even though you can put two Motorola systems in one bank/system, you will run afoul of TG mix ups so in reality it is best if you put each TRS in it's own bank/system.
 

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
13,295
Reaction score
1,132
Location
Arlington, TX
There is a noted from July of 2002 on that Jackson system:
***********************************JPD Digital Plans******************************************

The original plan to upgrade to a Provoice Digital system by M/A-Com has been scrapped after issues were raised by the Hinds County E-911 Commission regaurding legal issues. Plans have now been made to switch Jackson over to the Hinds County Motorola ASTRO System ASAP. This will enable true interoperability between Jackson, and the surrounding area.
 

UpRiver

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Jackson, Mississippi
hankv said:
Did you add The second county frequencies to the SAME system as the first county's frequencies?
No sir; I uploaded Rankin Counties trunk system as an independent system.

Are you using Control Channel Only?
The CONTROL CHANNEL ONLY box was checked when I downloaded the systems; I noticed control channel flashing on my scanner when I went directly to one of the Rankin county frequencies.

If you program the frequency into a conventional system (as a test) can you hear the Control Channel?
I don't understand this; Rankin County is a trunked system.

Thank you.
 

UpRiver

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Jackson, Mississippi
loumaag said:
As pointed out above, if you put them in the same bank/system they will not work, Jackson is an EDACS system and Rankin Co. is a Motorola system. Even though you can put two Motorola systems in one bank/system, you will run afoul of TG mix ups so in reality it is best if you put each TRS in it's own bank/system.
Jackson is system 1 and Rankin County is system 2 in my scanner.

:confused:
 

UpRiver

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Jackson, Mississippi
UPMan said:
There is a noted from July of 2002 on that Jackson system:
Yep; this has been reported on widely but I can hear Jackson; I can't hear Rankin County; I've got to be doing something really stupid; there is something simple that I'm overlooking; but it's strange that Jackson works just fine.
 

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
12,181
Reaction score
4,562
Location
Dallas, TX
UpRiver, by "bars", you mean when you manually tune to Rankins system you are seeing the signal strength bars?

You programmed control channel only, right? And you are talking this system?
 

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
12,181
Reaction score
4,562
Location
Dallas, TX
UpRiver said:
My scanner flashes repeatedly Finding CtrlChan but no audio on the Rankin County frequencies.
OK, one of two possibilities are the most likely:

1. You are too far from their transmitter site for reception. 800 does not travel as well as Vhf or even Uhf. Twenty to thirty miles is often maximum range on 800mhz sysms, less if there are hills in between. Also, some systems are lower power, or their antenna pattern is adjusted to concentrate coverage on their service area (county, city, whatever area their jurisdiction or member cities or county(ies) cover). If you take a look at the Rankin system in the database, then click on the underlined "primary" by the "Site 001". That will give you a pop-up with the site information. Click on the FCC call letters (they're underlined, to indicate a link), and you'll get a map page showing the approximate transmitter site locations for that system. Those are not always 100% accurate, but better than nothing. At least it might give you some idea how far from the transmitter(s) you are.

2. As listed in the database, this system only shows one control channel, 859.9625 (the one in red that's also starred with an asterix). While that's not unusual, systems often have more than one control channel, and alternate them on a schedule. It's also possible that the primary control channel has changed, and no one has submitted the change.

I'd begin with possibility #2 first. The attached UASD file is all the Rankin system frequencies in a "conventional" system file. If you're using the ARC program (I believe you said you are), import it & load it to the scanner, then manually step through the channels. The text tag is the same as the frequency. If you find the control channel, you'll know it. Some people have described the sound as a 'diesel engine', others a motor boat. Anyway, it will be a constant, throbbing sound if you can hear it. If it's a frequency other than 859.9625, then add it to the frequency section of your trunked system file, and also submit it to the database (hit the submit button on the page for the system, then follow the prompts). If you find, and add, an updated control channel to your system, this should cure your problem.

If you did not hear any control channel, or the only one you hear is the one listed, then the first possibility, low signal strength, is more likely. The scanner is not getting enough signal to track reliably. You may need to think about an outside antenna (if you don't have one), or improving your current antenna and/or coax, if you already use an external antenna.
 
Last edited:

UpRiver

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Jackson, Mississippi
hiegtx said:
OK, one of two possibilities are the most likely:

1. You are too far from their transmitter site for reception. 800 does not travel as well as Vhf or even Uhf. Twenty to thirty miles is often maximum range on 800mhz sysms, less if there are hills in between. Also, some systems are lower power, or their antenna pattern is adjusted to concentrate coverage on their service area (county, city, whatever area their jurisdiction or member cities or county(ies) cover). If you take a look at the Rankin system in the database, then click on the underlined "primary" by the "Site 001". That will give you a pop-up with the site information. Click on the FCC call letters (they're underlined, to indicate a link), and you'll get a map page showing the approximate transmitter site locations for that system. Those are not always 100% accurate, but better than nothing. At least it might give you some idea how far from the transmitter(s) you are.
I live in Rankin County and I located the tower and it's within spitting distance of where I live; the power is 35.000 on a lot of the local PDs in Rankin County. I don't know what that means; awesome info; thank you!

2. As listed in the database, this system only shows one control channel, 859.9625 (the one in red that's also starred with an asterix). While that's not unusual, systems often have more than one control channel, and alternate them on a schedule. It's also possible that the primary control channel has changed, and no one has submitted the change.

I'd begin with possibility #2 first. The attached UASD file is all the Rankin system frequencies in a "conventional" system file. If you're using the ARC program (I believe you said you are), import it & load it to the scanner, then manually step through the channels. The text tag is the same as the frequency. If you find the control channel, you'll know it. Some people have described the sound as a 'diesel engine', others a motor boat. Anyway, it will be a constant, throbbing sound if you can hear it. If it's a frequency other than 859.9625, then add it to the frequency section of your trunked system file, and also submit it to the database (hit the submit button on the page for the system, then follow the prompts). If you find, and add, an updated control channel to your system, this should cure your problem.

If you did not hear any control channel, or the only one you hear is the one listed, then the first possibility, low signal strength, is more likely. The scanner is not getting enough signal to track reliably. You may need to think about an outside antenna (if you don't have one), or improving your current antenna and/or coax, if you already use an external antenna.
Awesome; I'm wore out for today; I'll be on this first thing in the morning!

This is fun! Thank you very much hiegtx!
 

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
12,181
Reaction score
4,562
Location
Dallas, TX
If you are in the county, that would seem to rule out a signal strength issue. So, it's more likely that the control channel has changed. Try that test file & see if you can find it. Then, if you do, add it to the frequency currently in your file for control. Good luck. If that doesn't work, post your system file & let us take a look, in case something didn't save correctly.
 

Ricka71

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Yes, UpRiver post the the file(s) as heigtx suggested. Prefered all of it to see if there are any contradictions. I'll load it and see what it does here.
 

UpRiver

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Jackson, Mississippi
hiegtx said:
If you're using the ARC program (I believe you said you are), import it & load it to the scanner, then manually step through the channels. The text tag is the same as the frequency. If you find the control channel, you'll know it. Some people have described the sound as a 'diesel engine', others a motor boat. Anyway, it will be a constant, throbbing sound if you can hear it.
Okay, I have loaded the conventional system into my scanner; there are two channels that sound different; one is a constant sound and the other is throbbing sound; there is constant and there is throbbing and there is constant throbbing; I would describe one channel as simply constant and the other as constant throbbing; sorry to sound like a lawyer; which sound?
 

hankv

Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
371
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
UpRiver said:
I don't understand this; Rankin County is a trunked system.

Thank you.

I was trying to find out if the frequency that is supposed to be the Control Channel actually is the Control channel. The simplest way I can think of is to put the frequency in as conventional and see if you hear the characteristic NOISE of a control channel (sort of a motorboat sound). Once you find out for sure, then just delete the test frequency.

UpRiver said:
And both these constant and constant throbbing channels are different from the current control channel, 859.9625.

853.3125 - constant throbbing sound
853.5875 - constant sound

It appears they have changed Control Channels (CC) - I suggest you load all listed frequencies into your Type 2 Rankin County System to guard against future CC changes. That way the scanner will just jump to the new CC and you won't even know it. You have plenty of memory available.
 
Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
12,181
Reaction score
4,562
Location
Dallas, TX
UpRiver said:
And both these constant and constant throbbing channels are different from the current control channel, 859.9625.

853.3125 - constant throbbing sound
853.5875 - constant sound
UpRiver, try adding 853.3125 as an additional control channel, then see what happens. If no joy, add 853.5875.

There will not be more than one active control channel at any one time. My guess (coffee hasn't kicked in yet) is that 853.5875 may be a data channel, for MDT's.

This site has sound clips that may help you identify what you are hearing (Control channel? data?)

Hang in there. We'll figure this puppy out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top