Scanners On TV

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
This wasn't a scanner being used but in the movie Airport (1970) it would always made me laugh when they showed an FM broadcast radio being used as an aircraft receiving radio picking up both the plane and the ground controllers a thousand miles away.

The airport was supposed to be in Chicago and yet it could hear crystal clear New York center.

INDaviation

Custom title goes here
Premium Subscriber
One of the promos for Fox 59's morning newscast here contains a very brief clip of ProScan controlling an SDS of some sort, not sure if 100 or 200. Too bad they had to put a cheap radio static sound effect over it

INDaviation

Custom title goes here
Premium Subscriber
One of the promos for Fox 59's morning newscast here contains a very brief clip of ProScan controlling an SDS of some sort, not sure if 100 or 200. Too bad they had to put a cheap radio static sound effect over it
Finally snapped a pic of it. It's an SDS200. Not sure why volume is 0 and squelch is 11FCB43A49-9AD3-420F-A11E-DF3BDA030953.jpeg

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Yes they are (were). I teach photojournalism and one of my favorites from yesteryear (way before my time) was "Weegee", a New York photographer in the 1930-40's. Joe Pesci portrayed a character loosely based on Weegee in the film, The Public Eye.

View attachment 124777View attachment 124778
That's called News Stringing which is also portrayed in the 2014 movie NightCrawler. He steals a nice bike and trades it in for a junky old scanner and tape camera. Later after getting more money he has a bunch of BCT15 and BCT15x in a Dodge Challenger SRT. The end chase scene before he lures his partner to death was great with the engine going and scanner traffic.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I was watching Chicago Fire and the sds200 and another uniden scanner

Attachments

• IMG_4369.jpeg
    IMG_4369.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 64

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Yep, caught that while watching the show too. A (broken) Bearcat 210 on the bottom with a hand mic plugged into the left side. Mine didn't have that option back in the day! :ROFLMAO:

The SDS200 (with the word "Uniden" removed from the front panel) displayed an old freq for the Steger Estates Fire Protection District (in Will County) so at least they had area freqs in it. The display and knob positions indicated that volume and squelch were set at zero.

Thought it was cool that they had what I believe was the first programmable base/mobile Bearcat scanner right next to the latest and greatest.

sdu219

Premium Subscriber
The scanner from the SWAT TV show as posted by GlobalNorth is the Realistic Patrolman PRO-7B VHF high only

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

Lol, wife was behind on dvr and saw that episode last night. Think NBC should get @ProScan, I mean there are 4 empty lan ports just sitting and waiting.

Also looks like they have the mic somehow connected to the older scanner on 10.745 mhz.

1686052460432.jpeg

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

There was the time that NCIS picked up the bad guys comms on 27.05Mhz on a Uniden scanner then entered that frequency into a Motorola APX 7000.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
It says "Radio Dispatch"
When did the CFD change frequencies to shortwave?
I guess with everyone else going to trunking and encryption, the CFD is going backwards to older tried and tested technology.

Hey Los Angeles, are you watching this thread? :LOL:

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
It says "Radio Dispatch"
When did the CFD change frequencies to shortwave?
I guess with everyone else going to trunking and encryption, the CFD is going backwards to older tried and tested technology.
I don't see a designator on the display. This is TV and for all we know, it could be 10.745 GHz and CFD is in the forefront of technology! :rolleyes: