scanning FRS from national database

Status
Not open for further replies.

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
I thought i understood how to do this, but apparently not.

I've set my location and a decent range (5 miles). I've turned OFF all nationwide systems except FRS., and picked 'full database' as my scan selection.
Now if i try to scan I get the "nothing to scan" message. If I go back into the 'set service type' menu and turn everything on, it starts scanning everything except FRS, apparently.

So...how do I choose a nationwide system to scan??

Addendum: I know i could set up a favorites w/ Sentinel...but i'd like to know how to do it w/ just the radio for those road trips sans computer.....

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I think the issue you are running into is your setting location and FRS probably doesnt have a location.

RBMTS

Did you turn on the proper service type to listen to that service?

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
Did you turn on the proper service type to listen to that service?
wasn't sure which one applied to FRS, so i turned on all service types...which resulted in the scanner (apparently) going through the full nationwide db at my location, instead of just FRS (which is the only thing selected from the nationwide system list)

ScubaJungle

You could also system hold on the full database and scroll until you find it (it should be in "other"^^, for service selection though), but I highly suggest just making FLs of everything you can imagine that you'd want.
If you do this, you won't have to worry about needing a computer, youll already have a FL for anything you want on the unit, youll just need to enable it. Thats the amazing part of the x36 and SDS series - you can have as many FLs as your SD card can hold, and on top of that, can select which ones you want/dont want to scan.

ScubaJungle

And thanks. Folks on this forum are super helpful!
Just to give you a potential idea - the way that I've found most effective is I create FLs by broad category, for example, industry, hospital, security, local business, etc - these consist of all systems that I can pick up, at all.
Then, I make secondary lists, such as "Industry - Active", and "Local Business- Active", "Hotels - Active" which are more specific and only consist of systems from those lists that I have found to normally have traffic and/or are busy, so that the scanner isn't tied up scanning systems that arent used often.
Doing this streamlines the lists, it lets you pick exactly what you want (maybe today you want to hear hospitals, and tomorrow you want to listen to the local hotels, etc), and also lets you scan what is most important while still being able to add in other interests without bogging down the scanner as the full database often does.
Also, with FLs, you can enable ID search - which for trunked systems, IMO, is essential, as the DB rarely ever has every single TG, and "ID Scan", which the full database does, only shows TGs that are already in the DB, which many are not (especially with non-PS systems, many are absent of TGs entirely)

Status
Not open for further replies.