Scanning Newfoundland

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

primehifi

Interesting.

I think one of the missing sites up near Corner Brook (if I reading your posts correctly) is out near Blow Me Down.

I was in Corner Brook last year for a weekend, but, the HP1 was new to me then as was p25. However, I recall, may still have an iPhone picture of it somewhere, one of the sites I could find out near blow me down (west of CB) but not anywhere else. I seem to recall it being 12, even before reading your previous message. It wasn't strong but I could get it with the magnet mount on the car.

Good chance I'll up up out that way again this fall. Will likely spend most of the time doing some work and scanning.

Great work on the Northern Pen. info. Absolutely fantastic Jay.

Wharfe

You could try enabling "attenuator" on that channel (not sure what scanner you have - some allow attenuation on a per-channel basis, but some only allow it on the whole radio for every channel).

Thanks Jay. I had actually tried the attenuator, seemed like it may have helped for a couple of channels. The SJRFD 3 was the worst, I ended up disabling that one for now. That took care of most issues, though every now and then I get some noises on the MCC Dispatch / Emerg channels.

The RNC sometimes seems to cut out early.

Otherwise, it's great being able to listen to all this. I'm happy!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Folks, I've submitted all my changes to the NPR P25 system into the database. Waiting on the admins to work it - there's a ton of data, so be patient for them to get through it. I recommended changing all the data in the tower site info of the DB, to ensure everything is 'up to date' shall we say.

Prime - I took a look at my data and think that Blow Me Down PP would be more like site 9 instead of site 12, because of which neighbors each site has. Site 9 is a neighbor only to site 10 (Corner Brook), and site 12 is a neighbor only to site 13 (Bonne Bay).

Jay911

Feed Provider
Thanks much :) Looks a lot better on the map now that all the sites are listed.

I have more conventional stuff I'll be posting as I analyze it (in the middle of my work week right now so I don't have the time quite yet - but that makes it easier for you 'cause I'm not bombarding you with data constantly :))

RStyles

NS-NF Ferries

Good day all,
Just acquired my new PSR-800. Works wonderfully. I am looking to get help acquiring the new setup for the M. Atlantic Ferries that run between NS and Nfld. Any help and suggestions would be a definite help. I'm a novice so please be gentle!
Thanks in advance.

VO1GXG

As i work in the two way industry here in St. John's ive been updating the database here in RR when i find something new and interesting so far there is not much out there that is not currently posted...well a couple things are not on the database such as Targa's freqs but regardless i think the database for Newfoundland is in pretty good standing at the moment!

tyleryoung85

Stephenville

Hey all, I"m scanning in Stephenville with a BC95XLT, and i'm trying to get police, fire and EMS (if i can) i've got these
159.300 Stephenville Fire
159.450 Stephenville Fire Wkg
155.970 Stephenville RCMP
from a buddy of mine, but i'm still unsure as to program them in my scanner. and it that still work, now i've read a few times on here that S'ville RCMP has changed or something. do any one know if that is true or not, and if it is, whats the new one???

Thanks,
Tyler Young

ICR2

Central NL

Good day all,
Just acquired my new PSR-800. Works wonderfully. I am looking to get help acquiring the new setup for the M. Atlantic Ferries that run between NS and Nfld. Any help and suggestions would be a definite help. I'm a novice so please be gentle!
Thanks in advance.

I'm in central, so unfortunately can't help you with the ferry system... just wondering how you're making out with your PSR-800 ... I'm in the market and looking closely at this one. I assume you're doing okay with the P25 police frequencies. Are there other systems you can monitor which a conventional scanner cannot?

Much appreciated!

RStyles

The P25 frequencies were a snap and worked within a few minutes, conventional frequencies worked as well. But, Im still learning how to configure the PSR-800 for something else. *scratches head* Part of the fun I guess, learning how to get this thing to work. :)

ICR2

NL Power, Dept of Transport, NL Hydro

Can anyone tell me if Dept of Transport, NL Power, NL Hydro be monitored by a scanner in NL?

ICR2

PSR800 ... sticks on P25 Talkgroup

I just got my new PSR-800 ... so far so good...pleased, however I have an issue ... wondering if anyone else encountered this?

When scanning conventional channels, it stops on active channels and resumes automatically when the channel is free. After stopping on an active P25 trunking channel, I have to press the arrow key for it to resume once the conversation ends, otherwise it sits on that channel.

Is there a way to program it to automatically resume when there's no longer any activity like it does for conventional channels?

Jay911

Feed Provider
To clarify the above: I suggested to ICR2 that he post here, because I can't help him from afar.

He's monitoring the NPR P25 system in trunking mode, and it's hanging on the talkgroup when a transmission is over. I never had that problem with my HomePatrol, and didn't try with my PSR800.

There are a number of sites where the "voice frequency" has a constant "idle"/dead air P25 CAI signal on it. It will sound similar to the control channel if you listen to it on a non-digital radio, but it will make no noise at all if you tune it conventionally with a digital scanner. You might see the NAC or P25 indicators flashing.

I'm suspecting that the PSR800 is waiting for the audio to drop before returning to the control channel, and my HP1 doesn't do such a thing. If the PSR800 is indeed waiting for the audio to drop, it won't automatically resume when you hit one of these frequencies with the "dead air" going on.

If any of you have a PSR800, can you test it and let ICR2 know if you're seeing the same behavior?

ICR2: Something I just thought of - there may be a feature known as "End Code" or "Motorola End Code". I would think it wouldn't matter for a P25 system, but if you see that option, try turning it on.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It's not an end code thing. That's only an available option on standard 3600 baud trunked systems as far as I know.

It doesn't sound like ICR2 has it programmed in as a trunked system, or if he does it doesn't sound like the parameters are correct.

ICR2: Are you programming that trunked freq in conventionally instead of as a trunked system?

Mike

Jay911

Feed Provider
We went through that bit, he imported it from the RRDB, where it's stored as a trunked system.

I guess we'll have to hope someone else in NL has a PSR800 and can try it out on a site with the "dead air" channels.

ICR2

Thanks Jay/Mike ... I really appreciate your help!!
I openned a ticket with greamerica as well....waiting for feedback from them!
Jay .... just in case there was any connection with the issue, I tried disabling the wildcard and the recording option but made no difference! It's not a big deal when listening live but a pain if you wanna record several channels when not around ... thanks again guys!!

RStyles

Icr2

I indeed have the same issue with my PSR-800. After the voice finishes on my trunked channels imported from the RRDB they seem to hang on the channel. However the scanner will start to scan again but long after all conversation has finished. So, any input on a work around for this would be great.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I indeed have the same issue with my PSR-800. After the voice finishes on my trunked channels imported from the RRDB they seem to hang on the channel. However the scanner will start to scan again but long after all conversation has finished. So, any input on a work around for this would be great.

This, unfortunately, is both good news and bad news.

I suspect that what I've said before is happening: the PSR800 does not recognize that the voice transmission has quit, and is still waiting for more traffic. When it eventually stops is possibly when the control channel and voice channel switch places (as the system does from time to time).

The good news is, if either or both of you have put in a ticket with GRECOM, and I think ICR2 said he had, it's possible GRE will eventually address it.

If you have opportunity to add information to that ticket, I would suggest you put this wording into it:

The voice frequencies on this P25 system routinely carry constant P25 Common Air Interface data streams of "dead air" or silent audio when there is no actual voice traffic to be broadcast. The scanner may not be recognizing the end of a transmission, getting stuck on the voice channel and never returning to the control channel. Please investigate the possibility of detecting end-of-transmission and/or "idle" P25 CAI and instructing the radio to return to the control channel at that time.

ICR2

Jay .... I copied and pasted the information to my ticket for greamerica ... I'll post their response when I received it.
Thanks RStyles for acknowledging that you're having the same issue ... at least I know it's not something I'm doing or omitting to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.