Scott's Radio Room for 2023

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Ditto on what the others have said. I'll add that I like to see those Moto GM300's and Radius radios in use - I have some GM300's and they have great audio!

APEXNext

Premium Subscriber
Where did you get the face plates for the different scanners??

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Where did you get the face plates for the different scanners??
Hi, all but the bottom row of GM-300's and the one for the IC-7300 (NovexComm) came from Alberta Radio Supply.

Edit: I was remiss in not mentioning Alberta Radio Supply apparently! Yikes...those panels obviously play a major part in this setup. The 4U IC-R8600 panel was custom made for me by them. It'll probably morph into a 3U custom made one...via the magic of my wallet. Ack. Oh well it's only money. Reason? If I go back to the rack mounted 1U mixer such as the oft-mentioned 1602, it'll sit right in above a 3U mounted 8600.

Last edited:

APEXNext

Premium Subscriber
Hi, all but the bottom row of GM-300's and the one for the IC-7300 (NovexComm) came from Alberta Radio Supply.

Edit: I was remiss in not mentioning Alberta Radio Supply apparently! Yikes...those panels obviously play a major part in this setup. The 4U IC-R8600 panel was custom made for me by them. It'll probably morph into a 3U custom made one...via the magic of my wallet. Ack. Oh well it's only money. Reason? If I go back to the rack mounted 1U mixer such as the oft-mentioned 1602, it'll sit right in above a 3U mounted 8600.
OK cool thanks for getting back to me.. Great set up by the way!!!

TRITIUM3

That is very impressive. I do commercial AV/broadcast systems and I can see the amount of time and effort that went into that!

Patty01

Feed Provider
I live in Cotuit and I wanna say knowing someone who's not too far from me and has a bunch of scanners is pretty cool.

GargoylesRus

Still awake? I'm struggling but I'm hell bent on finishing this, so...

View attachment 139172
Here is the analog side of the console. I use the BCT15 in the lower right exclusively for pre-programmed military air frequencies for my area. The remaining scanners provide auxiliary search functions of various different natures.

View attachment 139174
Move over Stanley Kubrick...I have a Monolith too, and it's back. At the top are Motorola Maxtrac and Radius mobile radios programmed for receive only. They monitor my local PD and local FD/EMS, maritime activity, Cape Cod Canal vessel traffic control, various VHF-HI stuff, and the VHF-HI frequency used by the MA Emergency Management Agency. All are fed with an Electroline multicoupler which is connected to an Antennacraft Scantenna (no it is not for sale). As has been in several prior incarnations of this mess, the patch panel allows pretty much any radio to be connected to any antenna. Below that is a 5U vented plate that I drilled holes in and attached a monitor mount to. It came out nice, minimal swearing involved, and it looks good. Most importantly it works.

View attachment 139175
If you can't see that clock...well, when I take my contacts out things get ugly, so just in case. Also an Ambient Weather Station too. They are mounted in ways that I won't show you but they haven't fallen down yet so I'm confident we're good. The IC-7300 and MFJ 993B tuner are connected to a 40-10m doublet with 600 ohm ladderline from trueladderline.com . Outstanding antennas and strongly recommended. FT-8 is a current favorite mode for me.

View attachment 139176
The rack mounted monitor connects to another Intel Nuc, this one also an i7 with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. It primarily runs SDR# using an Airspy Mini for some auxiliary spectrum analysis. For some reason I prefer the Airspy Mini's over the Airspy R2, in my case I seem to see a lot less artifacts on the display. Also there are two HP Elite mini PC's. One feeds a Broadcastify Calls feed and the other eventually will as well. Behind the mesh rack insert is an Astron RS20A linear power supply that is used exclusively for the IC-7300 transceiver. Below that but out of sight in this picture is a rack mounted Astron RM35A, which powers the rest of the radios in the shack.

Antenna setup will follow in part 3, and then I will mercifully be done with this rigmarole...
Hooooley Cow.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I gotta ask, would you share with us here the how-to on building the top half? I would LOVE to have something like that. I already have my radios racked but in 2 separate rack cases. It would be great to have them all together like that.

Manny

KC1UA

Database Admin
Thanks to all for the continuing kind comments.

I gotta ask, would you share with us here the how-to on building the top half? I would LOVE to have something like that. I already have my radios racked but in 2 separate rack cases. It would be great to have them all together like that.

Manny

I wish I had the skill to build that. Assuming you're referring to the 8 Unidens and 1 IC-R8600 on top of the desk, that came from www.audiorax.com . They do have the skill, and it's a very nicely done piece of furniture.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber

I wish I had the skill to build that. Assuming you're referring to the 8 Unidens and 1 IC-R8600 on top of the desk, that came from www.audiorax.com . They do have the skill, and it's a very nicely done piece of furni

I wish I had the skill to build that. Assuming you're referring to the 8 Unidens and 1 IC-R8600 on top of the desk, that came from www.audiorax.com . They do have the skill, and it's a very nicely done piece of furniture.

Thanks for the link. I had no idea this place existed. Besides my racked radios, I also have a small home recording studio. Talk about needing good racks. OMG. It says it takes about 4 weeks to get them. I can wait. LOL

Thanks again!

Manny

N9JIG

Sheriff
I also get my racks from AudioRax. I have an order in now for a late June delivery and have purchased several other racks from them. They are made to order and the larger ones come pre-assembled. They are worth the wait and money for sure!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I also get my racks from AudioRax. I have an order in now for a late June delivery and have purchased several other racks from them. They are made to order and the larger ones come pre-assembled. They are worth the wait and money for sure!
Thanks Rich. I've been drooling on their site already!LOL

thinbluebbq

Feed Provider
Amazing setup! Inspiring to see. I have been contemplating a weather station to add to my own setup. Which one do you use and how has it held up so far? Liking it? Thanks!

KC1UA

Database Admin
Amazing setup! Inspiring to see. I have been contemplating a weather station to add to my own setup. Which one do you use and how has it held up so far? Liking it? Thanks!
Thanks for the kind remarks. I was using a Peet Brothers Ultimeter 800 but something went amok with it. I like it because it is wired and as such provides almost constant wind speed updates. I need to send it back to them for repair at some point. I also use an Ambient Weather WS2902 with a few different wireless displays around the house. It's a decent station but being wireless it shows less frequent data updates.