Scratchy volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman1991

Premium Subscriber
What can I use to clean the volume squelch switch on my 197 I say it the switch because it's scratchy when I turn the volume up or down

DickH

What can I use to clean the volume squelch switch on my 197 I say it the switch because it's scratchy when I turn the volume up or down

The switch turns the scanner ON & OFF.
The volume control has probably been left in one position a long time or has gotten dirty.
As a quick fix rotate it from one end to the other MANY times. That may clean it.
For a better fix ,spray contact cleaner into it if you can get to it, then rotate it many times.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Scratchy control

Radio Shack sells a contact cleaner that I have used on many devices over the years. Similar cleaners are available at radio supply stores.

n5ims

Common problem with the 197. As others have said, just quickly turn the control up and down several times and the problem should be fixed for a while. Contact cleaner should fix it for a bit longer (but be careful you don't clean it so much that you wash away what makes the control work!).

sandman1991

Premium Subscriber
Fixed for now

Thanks guys it's fixed for now !im payed up for another week ,after I get back on my feet I will get some cleaner. How ever I used some cleaner on another older scanner awhile ago and it must have had oil in it it killed the scanner so thought I would ask. I'm laced up do to a large blister on my foot that popped . I got it after walking 14 miles in two days. Dumb ha?oh we'll so until a week from this sat. I have to watch tv and listen to my scanners. Thanks again guys

JamesO

SCPD

QRT
scratchy on & off kob

I have been reading all the post about how to fix the scratchy knob on scanners. My question is how do you get the lubricant in side of the knob device once you get the scanner apart ? isn't the knob control sealed ?

DickH

I have been reading all the post about how to fix the scratchy knob on scanners. My question is how do you get the lubricant in side of the knob device once you get the scanner apart ? isn't the knob control sealed ?

If it is truly sealed, position the scanner so the shaft (with knob removed) is vertical, then put a drop or two on the shaft and rotate it many times. Some of the cleaner might get down to the wiper and clean the control.
Knobs are not scratchy, the wiper, inside, is what makes the noise. And the "knob device" is called a volume control.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

Yes it is a sealed pot control.

You may get lucky and some may follow the shaft into the control but I've never had much luck trying that method.
I once pried the controls plates apart ever so slightly with a sharp razor knife blade and that did allow the cleaner to get inside. I don't recommend this however as it is very easy to pop the rivet(s) that hold the controls sections together.

If you break it, you may be SOL with these things now unsupported.

I've never tried to see of Spectrol sells a common control that can be used to replace the OEM controls. I suspect Spectrol made the control for GRE but it may have been OEM only.

If anyone ever finds a suitable control, I hope they post the manufacturer and part number.

I'm fairly certain the Pro-197/106 and GRE PSR500/600 all used the same control so one should fit all.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
If you value your scanner, spend a little more and get the stuff the pros use at the very same Radio Shack store - Deoxit.

https://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=13384949&kw=deoxit&origkw=deoxit&sr=1

Yes, it hurts the wallet, but if you've done enough cleaning over the years, this stuff is MILES ahead of the generic tv-tuner type cleaners.

I second that! This stuff is spray it and forget it. Any scanner which uses trim pots for on/off/volume/squelch can benefit from this.

Manny

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I second that! This stuff is spray it and forget it. Any scanner which uses trim pots for on/off/volume/squelch can benefit from this.

Manny

Same here!
DeOxit is much better than the old "tuner cleaner/lubricant" that radioshack sells.
Radioshack's stuff is messy and will cover everything with oil even if you try and place tissues around just the part you need to clean.

RadioShack's cleaner may be okay if they had used a lower pressure propellant.

One word of caution regardless of which cleaner is used, cover everything very well before spraying. Especially the display window and other nearby radios or other items. Cleaner by nature, can and will spot or melt some plastics, especially the clear plastic display windows.

I always try and build a splash guard or dam around the part I'm about to spray so overspray does not get on anything else.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I've never tried to see of Spectrol sells a common control that can be used to replace the OEM controls. I suspect Spectrol made the control for GRE but it may have been OEM only.

If anyone ever finds a suitable control, I hope they post the manufacturer and part number.

Have you taken measurements of the component case, pin-out and Ohmage? If so, digging through Digi-Key, Newark, Mouser and Jameco catalogs could be useful.

Sent via Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
After get some advice & reading about the scratchy volume , I tried something on my 106 & it seemed to work. Took some of the De Oxit & sprayed some on a spoon, then took a # 1.0ml syringe & sucked up some of the lubricant in the syringe , then took the volume knob's off & shot the lubricant down the volume shaft, worked it around some & let it sit a few minute's & it was pretty much subsided.

ChetsJug

rheostat - Google Search

Mind if I play through?

I'm hearing a quest for a visual on this spiny turny thingy that controls volume. So I googled it. I like to. See images of.things I'm searching for. In this case it sheds light on the question "Where do you spray the cleaner stuff?"

Try on the side of the center post where it would run down into the housing. Try to turn while spraying. Or spray, turn, spray, turn. Spray. Rest

Note: the crud that comes off the windings stays inside. It's not much.

For those on a budget, if.you have 70% rubbing alcohol, that pretty much what the cleaner is. You can put the tip of an ice pick on the shaft and pour the alcohol into the pot. The lube part is more commonly known as silicone. Spray a splert of that in there. I used some spray lock lube once. Scanner is still working fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.