SDR++ is showing signals but SDTrunk is not.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Ok i got a problem here and i can't find any answers about it. When i am on SDR++ i can go to the 800 mhz and see all kinds of signals and when i search for those signals on RR it shows that they are signals but when i put them in on SDRTrunk i don't see anything. Now if i put in 152.6825 it shows up on both just fine but not the 800s. The freqs range from 854mhz to 861mhz i will attach pictures showing what i mean. right here is a search i done LINK and they are legit signals. My settings and everything is correct in SDRTrunk i know this because on the 150 and 160 mhz i can pick up fine on any software. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• freq.png
    freq.png
    444.5 KB · Views: 13
  • freq1.png
    freq1.png
    449.2 KB · Views: 10
  • freq2.png
    freq2.png
    432.6 KB · Views: 17
  • freq3.png
    freq3.png
    417.2 KB · Views: 22
  • freq4.png
    freq4.png
    415.9 KB · Views: 20
  • freq5.png
    freq5.png
    406.5 KB · Views: 17

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Your gain (200) in one screenshot is pretty low. Might need to jack gain up significantly, even up into the 400s. Did you try that?

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Your gain (200) in one screenshot is pretty low. Might need to jack gain up significantly, even up into the 400s. Did you try that?
you was right it was the gain. damn how could i miss that lol...any way out of all of those signals i could only find 1 that i was able to lock onto these other signals idk i tried dmr and all the other formats that is in sdrtrunk what do they look like to you?

Attachments

• freq10.png
    freq10.png
    363 KB · Views: 10
  • freq11.png
    freq11.png
    408.1 KB · Views: 12

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Hover your mouse over all teh signals you see and get the approx center frequency. Then they can be looked up on RR.

At least some of them are probably AEP P25 Phase II with TDMA (Phase II) control channels. Should run DSDPlus on them since it's a helluva lot easier to use DSDPlus to slueth than it is to use SDRTrunk. Use SDRTrunk once you know about a system and its characteristics. If you don't have Windows, then you SOL. Of course you could use OP25 (not easy to use for sleuthing) or DSD-FME if you are on Linux.

And if some of those sigs are AEP P25 , then there are probably a few very wide signals that are the data-only channels available at some sites. There is a name for those data channels, but for the life of me I can't remember what Harris calls them -- maybe @GTR8000 or somebody like that can refresh my memory. At any rate, the data channels won't be monitorable.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Hover your mouse over all teh signals you see and get the approx center frequency. Then they can be looked up on RR.

At least some of them are probably AEP P25 Phase II with TDMA (Phase II) control channels. Should run DSDPlus on them since it's a helluva lot easier to use DSDPlus to slueth than it is to use SDRTrunk. Use SDRTrunk once you know about a system and its characteristics. If you don't have Windows, then you SOL. Of course you could use OP25 (not easy to use for sleuthing) or DSD-FME if you are on Linux.

And if some of those sigs are AEP P25 , then there are probably a few very wide signals that are the data-only channels available at some sites. There is a name for those data channels, but for the life of me I can't remember what Harris calls them -- maybe @GTR8000 or somebody like that can refresh my memory. At any rate, the data channels won't be monitorable.
Ok i looked them up and they are mostly The american electric power company. I'm not hearing anything on them i'm locked onto two control channels. i will try dsdplus and see what i hear on there. Thanks alot for the help tho.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Ok i looked them up and they are mostly The american electric power company. I'm not hearing anything on them i'm locked onto two control channels. i will try dsdplus and see what i hear on there. Thanks alot for the help tho.

When the AEP VA sites were turned up, they had FDMA (what we all are used to) control channels with Phase II voice. But they may have converted them all to TDMA CC's. And I can't remember if SDRTrunk can handle P25 TDMA CCs. I know DSDPlus can. Did you specify P25 P2 in SDRTrunk when you set the site up in the playlist?

Mike

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
When the AEP VA sites were turned up, they had FDMA (what we all are used to) control channels with Phase II voice. But they may have converted them all to TDMA CC's. And I can't remember if SDRTrunk can handle P25 TDMA CCs. I know DSDPlus can. Did you specify P25 P2 in SDRTrunk when you set the site up in the playlist?

Mike
yes i did. even tho it still says phase 1 when you select select phase 2 idk why. there is two options under phase 2 "Trunked system" and "Individual Channel"

RMason

Premium Subscriber
you was right it was the gain. damn how could i miss that lol...any way out of all of those signals i could only find 1 that i was able to lock onto these other signals idk i tried dmr and all the other formats that is in sdrtrunk what do they look like to you?

You may want to try 858.4125Mhz (instead of 858.41303). This might the the Crum (Wayne WV) site on AEP.
1F735 (23)035 (23)CrumWayne, WV855.6375c857.3375c857.3875c858.4125c860.3875c

The one you seem to be locking onto is: (Note the frequency is 857.2875 instead of 857.28746)
1F744 (2C)044 (2C)GrundyBuchanan, VA854.8625c855.8625c857.2875c

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
You may want to try 858.4125Mhz (instead of 858.41303). This might the the Crum (Wayne WV) site on AEP.
1F735 (23)035 (23)CrumWayne, WV855.6375c857.3375c857.3875c858.4125c860.3875c

The one you seem to be locking onto is: (Note the frequency is 857.2875 instead of 857.28746)
1F744 (2C)044 (2C)GrundyBuchanan, VA854.8625c855.8625c857.2875c
yea i let it run all day and i didn't hear anything at all on it i don't know if it's just not in use or not

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
yea i let it run all day and i didn't hear anything at all on it i don't know if it's just not in use or not

If you sat on it in DSDPlus wihtout being in combined CC/VC mode, or if you sat on it in DSDPlus with trunking enabled and didn't see any group calls, that may be why you didn't hear anything.

If you programmed it into SDRTrunk as a simple conventional channel, you are not going to hear anything since it's a control channel.

Many of these sites are inactive during any given day if there is no inclement weather.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
If you sat on it in DSDPlus wihtout being in combined CC/VC mode, or if you sat on it in DSDPlus with trunking enabled and didn't see any group calls, that may be why you didn't hear anything.

If you programmed it into SDRTrunk as a simple conventional channel, you are not going to hear anything since it's a control channel.

Many of these sites are inactive during any given day if there is no inclement weather.
Any idea what causes this, my signal will stay good and every minute or so i will see the spectrum show just a cluttered mess.

Attachments

• causesthis.png
    causesthis.png
    410.9 KB · Views: 14

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
YOu had to turn up your gain to receive weaker signals, and then some very strong local signal on the same band becomes active and essentially saturates your receiver's "front end". You can avoid that to some extent by not turning the gain up so high, but then you won't pull in weak signals. It'll be a toss-up.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
YOu had to turn up your gain to receive weaker signals, and then some very strong local signal on the same band becomes active and essentially saturates your receiver's "front end". You can avoid that to some extent by not turning the gain up so high, but then you won't pull in weak signals. It'll be a toss-up.
i tried turning the gain way down and it's still doing it the gain is on 196 now

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
i may have asked this already but i can't remember but will dsdplus fastlane decode NXDN48 and NXDN48E

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
i may have asked this already but i can't remember but will dsdplus fastlane decode NXDN48 and NXDN48E
As far as voice: NXDN48, yes. 48E, no. Anything with an uppercase "E" mode is fully encrypted. You'll see the TGID come up as ENC but won't hear any voice

RMason

Premium Subscriber
DSDPlus Fastlane will decode NXDN48. You will need to make sure NXDN4800 is enabled in the decoder menu
NXDN48E is encrypted -> that is a no go.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Any idea what causes this, my signal will stay good and every minute or so i will see the spectrum show just a cluttered mess.
What sample rate are you running the dongle at, the default (I think 2.4 msps) ? There is definitely an extremely strong signal there, right above the 4th column (Alias). And duplicated on the right. Despite whatever you have your gain set at, if you have a strong local signal that is only a mile or two away from you it may be impossible to not have interference from it once in a whlie, especially if it is in the same band.