SDRTrunk Not hearing talkgroups

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
yes each site carries the same traffic.i do not have a scanner.
i tried the analog freqs but none of them are active i don't hear anything on them at least.
I'd consider picking up an NXDN capable scanner so you can do some detective work to see where your agencies currently operate. If no joy with the listed analog conventional frequencies, first thing I would do is remove the analog PL tones from the listed frequencies to see if they went NXDN. I skimmed through the fire licenses and they do indeed include NXDN emissions so perhaps they went there?

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
I'd consider picking up an NXDN capable scanner so you can do some detective work to see where your agencies currently operate. If no joy with the listed analog conventional frequencies, first thing I would do is remove the analog PL tones from the listed frequencies to see if they went NXDN. I skimmed through the fire licenses and they do indeed include NXDN emissions so perhaps they went there?
i tried those freqs with dsdplus doesn't it decode NXDN? i didn't get anything with it either

Whiskey3JMC

Premium Subscriber
So again, as asked by a few others on this thread: Are you in Buchanan, Botetourt County or Buchanan County, VA?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Look thru everything in the county. Click each license listed and look for an additional FB freqs listed on the license and try them

db listing
154.3775 WRKP746RM2 RANOakwood FDOakwood Fire DepartmentNXDN48EFire-Talk

additional to try
Oakwood Volunteer Fire Department, Inc.WRKP746159.4350000010FB2PWHonakerBUCHANANVA

db listing
151.520 KVW543RM114.8 PLBuch F/E EnFire/EMS Dispatch (Enochs Branch)

additional freqs to try
1151.685000004K00F1EFB61150.00037.32806-82.06389GRUNDYBUCHANANVA
1151.775000004K00F1EFB61150.00037.32806-82.06389GRUNDYBUCHANANVA

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Look thru everything in the county. Click each license listed and look for an additional FB freqs listed on the license and try them

db listing
154.3775WRKP746RM2 RANOakwood FDOakwood Fire DepartmentNXDN48EFire-Talk

additional to try
Oakwood Volunteer Fire Department, Inc.WRKP746159.4350000010FB2PWHonakerBUCHANANVA

db listing
151.520KVW543RM114.8 PLBuch F/E EnFire/EMS Dispatch (Enochs Branch)

additional freqs to try
ok can i use sdr++ to listen to the FB freqs?

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Ok i am scanning around on sdr++ and this only happened once i landed on 154.100 and i heard someone talking something about a truck then after he was done talking the spike in the spectrum didn't come back up but spikes are coming up on other parts of the spectrum i try tuning to them while they are active but i mostley just get a humming sound it seems like after i hear someone and they key off and key back on they ain't on the same freqs as before. it's weird idk the pic i attached shows what i'm seeing i'm hearing traffic on 146.835 as well talking about a antennas this seems to be a ham operator tho

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-07-18 12-54-44.png
    Screenshot from 2024-07-18 12-54-44.png
    296.5 KB · Views: 5

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Screenshot shows one of the frequencies from the Honaker site on STARS

This is a 2 meter amateur radio frequency
yeah i am noticing from listening to them that they are from the same area . but i have gotten ham op before i'm still not hearing any fire or ems or anything like that.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

db listing
154.3775WRKP746RM2 RANOakwood FDOakwood Fire DepartmentNXDN48EFire-Talk

additional to try

db listing
151.520KVW543RM114.8 PLBuch F/E EnFire/EMS Dispatch (Enochs Branch)

additional freqs to try
I tried all of these and didn't get anything. i just heard some ham op and thats it.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
ok can i use sdr++ to listen to the FB freqs?

For analog, yes.
If any are digital you need sdr++ set to output audio via vb or vac cable to feed DSDPlus in passive mode with the correct vb or vac cable selected as the input to DSDPlus. If your seeing stars freqs, that’s digital so you won’t hear anything without DSDPlus.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
For analog, yes.
If any are digital you need sdr++ set to output audio via vb or vac cable to feed DSDPlus in passive mode with the correct vb or vac cable selected as the input to DSDPlus. If your seeing stars freqs, that’s digital so you won’t hear anything without DSDPlus.
i tried dsdplus fastlane using fmp24.CC and i tried all those freqs u sent but still didn't hear nothing. apparently the local police and every other emergency agency in my area is using stars i know my local police is encrypted but i'v never heard a fire department or a ambulance or any other thing besides the state police depart of corrections and a ham op. i don't understand it

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

Premium Subscriber
I'v never heard a fire department or a ambulance or any other thing besides the state police depart of corrections and a ham op. i don't understand it
This posting seems to suggest several fire & EMS frequencies in Buchanan County are NXDN encrypted. Might be worth touching base with that user to see whether or not you're out of luck monitoring. Database will need some TLC if this is the case as only one fire agency is listed as the "big E"

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
This posting seems to suggest several fire & EMS frequencies in Buchanan County are NXDN encrypted. Might be worth touching base with that user to see whether or not you're out of luck monitoring. Database will need some TLC if this is the case as only one fire agency is listed as the "big E"
alright thanks alot i sent the user a message.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
alright thanks alot i sent the user a message.
ok i was on sdr++ just messing around and in the 154mhz range i caught what sounds like a police officer saying he was just coming on duty then dispatch responds after that the spike goes down and i wait but i don't hear anything else so i move just beside that spot to another spike that comes up and i hear them talking again. i have run into this before i catch someone talking but after they are done they an't on that freqs nomore they moved. i don't get why that happens. anyone know? someone is talking on those freqs tho so i know i must be doing something wrong.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
ok i was on sdr++ just messing around and in the 154mhz range i caught what sounds like a police officer saying he was just coming on duty then dispatch responds after that the spike goes down and i wait but i don't hear anything else so i move just beside that spot to another spike that comes up and i hear them talking again. i have run into this before i catch someone talking but after they are done they an't on that freqs nomore they moved. i don't get why that happens. anyone know? someone is talking on those freqs tho so i know i must be doing something wrong.
That describes the behavior of voice channels in a trunked system. Each transmission will be assigned to a voice channel by the controller. The transmissions will appear to hop between channels.

Can you identify the exact frequency for one or more of these? Do you see any constant carriers nearby? You may be able to find a control channel for these frequencies.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
That describes the behavior of voice channels in a trunked system. Each transmission will be assigned to a voice channel by the controller. The transmissions will appear to hop between channels.

Can you identify the exact frequency for one or more of these? Do you see any constant carriers nearby? You may be able to find a control channel for these frequencies.
i can't remember what the freqs were i can't find them anymore. maybe it is from another state like @dave3825 said. but if it's a trunking system i shouldn't be able to hear it with plain sdr++ should i?. i wish their was a way to figure out what everything really is i can't get much listening right now anyway's due to encryption so every little thing counts.