SDR# SDR# Plug-in: Frequency Scanner updated

thewraith2008

This is update v1.3.0.0 to the great Frequency Scanner plug-in for SDR#.

This plug-in version adds/changes and fixes some items:
Code:
Summary of changes

1.3.0.0 - Release

Added: PDF Documentation
- Please read it

Added: 8.33 Khz channel selector

Added: Channel analyser range colours

Added: Disable channel analyser refreshing (after 300 seconds)

Change/Added: Noise protection delay
- Now adjustable for ON(new) and OFF
  This should minimise/stop the mute chopping in and out that was more noticable when using SDR# 1717+.

Changed: 8.33 KHz start frequency rounding

Changed: Zoom (Scrollwheel and quick)
- Two types of zoom focus have been created.
-- 1. Will zoom in on (last) active frequency. (New)
-- 2. Will zoom in on position of mouse cursor.

Fix: Crash when click 'lockout'/ 'remove lockout' buttons when active frequency is not in view (zoomed in)
- Will now hear beep when this condition exists. No lockout state will be changed. (Frequency must be in view)

Changed: Allow SDR# mute to be manually changed while scanner is in paused condition.
- This will mean that SDR# mute will not automatically function in the paused state.

Added: Ability to scan with correct 8.33 Khz step size for Airband.

see 'chanelog.txt' for full details

NOTE: The core of the scanning logic has not been changed.

Documentation has been created to help with it's installation and usage, please read it.
NOTE: Support is not guaranteed. Especially if the answers are contained in the documentation or on this forum.

I have tried to be as thorough as possible with the documentation to explain usage and features.
I believe any questions can be answered by reading this documentation.
This documentation most likely is not complete and may contain errors and is not laid out as good as it could be.

Testing has mainly been done with SDR# 1700.
Limited testing has been done with SDR# 1732.

NOTE: This version is a merger of the '8.33 channel selector' plug-in with improved operation for normal tuning.
If you have the '8.33 channel selector' installed, then remove it and try this implementation.
This implementation can be toggled ON/OFF (in 'Configure' > 'General')
This operates separately from the code that is used for 8.33 Khz scanning.
Please see the documentation about these two features.

Download
NOTE: Use 7zip or WinRAR to extract files from the .7z file and read the .PDF file for installation and usage of files with SDR#.

HASH: 3d2b121cf60f6b6d8868f266447e0443

Magpie

Great job, will try asap, thanks for investiging time in this project.

PE0SAT

Code:
Summary of changes

1.3.0.0 - Release

- Please read it

Added: 8.33 Khz channel selector

Added: Channel analyser range colours

Added: Disable channel analyser refreshing (after 300 seconds)

Change/Added: Noise protection delay
- Now adjustable for ON(new) and OFF
  This should minimise/stop the mute chopping in and out that was more noticable when using SDR# 1717+.

Changed: 8.33 KHz start frequency rounding

Fix: Crash when click 'lockout'/ 'remove lockout' buttons when active frequency is not in view (zoomed in)
- Will now hear beep when this condition exists. No lockout state will be changed. (Frequency must be in view)

Changed: Allow SDR# mute to be manually changed while scanner is in paused condition.
- This will mean that SDR# mute will not automatically function in the paused state.

Added: Ability to scan with correct 8.33 Khz step size for Airband.

see 'chanelog.txt' for full details

Documentation has been created to help with it's installation and usage, please read it.
NOTE: Support is not guaranteed. Especially if the answers are contained in the documentation or on this forum.

I have tried to be as thorough as possible with the documentation to explain usage and features.
This documentation most likely is not complete and may contain errors and is not laid out as good as it could be.

NOTE: This version is a merger of the '8.33 channel selector' plug-in with improved operation for normal tuning.
If you have the '8.33 channel selector' installed, then remove it and try this implementation.
This implementation can be toggled ON/OFF (in 'Configure' > 'General')
This operates separately from the code that is used for 8.33 Khz scanning.
Please see the documentation about these two features.

Download
NOTE: Use 7zip or WinRAR to extract files from the .7z file and read the .PDF file for installation and usage of files with SDR#.

HASH: 3d2b121cf60f6b6d8868f266447e0443

Thanks for the great work.

This 8.33 channel selector plugin was only rounding 8.33 in the civil airband portion does this also apply for your scanner enhancement, or will this be activated for all scanner ranges?

thewraith2008

This is a minor update v1.3.0.1 to the great Frequency Scanner plug-in for SDR#.

Why is it that I notice a bug after I release something. :rolleyes:

Code:
1.3.0.1 - Release (Minor)

Fixed: 'Auto skip' is not muting when it continues scanning
- When 'Audio mute' and 'Auto skip' is used and SDR# squelch is not used.
  When auto skip continues the scan, the SDR# mute is not re-activated making the noise floor heard until next active frequency found.
- Also applies to Next/Previous buttons.

Please also read the important notes for the just released previous version v1.3.0.0

Download

HASH: bba4437e9d5867c855b2d4099ce6b22a

Last edited:

thewraith2008

Thanks for the great work.

This 8.33 channel selector plugin was only rounding 8.33 in the civil airband portion does this also apply for your scanner enhancement, or will this be activated for all scanner ranges?
As far as I'm aware, the 8.33 KHz spacing is only used between 118-137MHz (Airband)
Is this not the case?
The 8.33 channel selector part of the code will only function in this frequency range because it is the only range of frequencies that I know that use that spacing.

When defining ranges for the scanner, you can use the 8.33 spacing on any range you choose.

If you use 8.33 on a band that doesn't use that spacing then time/CPU is wasted scanning frequencies that are never used.
e.g. If you were to scan from 1000000 to 1100000 for 8.33 Khz there are 13 frequencies where 25KHz there are 5 frequencies.
If the band only uses 25KHz, then using 8.33 means a slower scan rate and unnecessary processing.

causeway74

New plugin version working great. Like the 8.33 option that fixes the sdr# 8.33 spacing.

As far as I know the frequencies.xml file I'm using is associated with the Vasili updated FreqMan plugin but haven't run into any issues. Do you know what the specific incompatibility is?

Edit: Just noticed that if I am in scan mode and I hit a continuous signal, pressing lock-out the audio mute isn't enabled again. Example 360.000 is noisy for me and I land on it during scan, I hit lockout which resumes scanning, but now I hear the noise floor until I mute manually again or land on another active channel.

Last edited:

thewraith2008

As far as I know the frequencies.xml file I'm using is associated with the Vasili updated FreqMan plugin but haven't run into any issues. Do you know what the specific incompatibility is?
There may not be any issues with 'FreqMan' and this scanner plug-in.
If it is working then that is good news.

The devolopment of the scanner is based on using the standard SDR# Frequency Manager.
I have not tested with 'FreqMan' as it adds a unnecessary complication into the development.

Any incompatibilities come from mixing the two variations of the scanner plug-in that have been mentioned here.

gizmo436

''Edit: Just noticed that if I am in scan mode and I hit a continuous signal, pressing lock-out the audio mute isn't enabled again. Example 360.000 is noisy for me and I land on it during scan, I hit lockout which resumes scanning, but now I hear the noise floor until I mute manually again or land on another active channel. ''

Same little issue here , just stop and start scan and all works again...

mancow

Database Admin
It's working for me just fine. If I lock out it remains silent. Maybe check your settings again.

gizmo436

It's working for me just fine. If I lock out it remains silent. Maybe check your settings again.
Mancow , can you try to change volume when scanning , when i do that it the mute comes off and i hear continues sound when scanning , when it hits something all is fine again.

mancow

Database Admin
It pops study open briefly but mutes again. I sort of like that. It makes it easier to tell the volume level.

PE0SAT

''Edit: Just noticed that if I am in scan mode and I hit a continuous signal, pressing lock-out the audio mute isn't enabled again. Example 360.000 is noisy for me and I land on it during scan, I hit lockout which resumes scanning, but now I hear the noise floor until I mute manually again or land on another active channel. ''

Same little issue here , just stop and start scan and all works again...

I experience the same problem, mute stops working when for example I change the audio volume (SDR# volume), I need stop start the scanner to get it working again.

Magpie

More updates today (y) Will install the latest plugin tonight and start testing right away. Keep up the good work thewraith2008.

Magpie

I have it running now with 5 different UHF scanranges. Runs smoothly so far. Using the "Detect channel only centre frequency (default all bandwidth)" function gets rid of quite some interference so: good job.

1 minor error: the function "Show debug info" doesn't work here. Selecting the button doesn't switch in on. Am I the only one? Am currently running it on #1716.

Last edited:

Magpie

Code:

I'm sorry but I am having trouble figuring out the zoom change and the Lockout Fix:

- Zoom focus type 1 is perfectly clear to me. Type 2 isn't, can someone please help me on this?
- Does this mean one can only mark a number of frequencies to lockout them out with the view zoomed out?

Any help much appreciated, I'd really like to start using this plugin.

thewraith2008

This is a update v1.3.1.0 to the great Frequency Scanner plug-in for SDR#.

Hopefully this fixes the issues that appeared in v1.3.0.x

Code:

Fixed: 'Configure' lost click events for controls
- When re-arranging the 'Configure' window, click events where lost which caused some of the controls not to
   register any changes.

Fixed: 'Configure' Noise protection delay 'ON'
- The introduction of this option was causing the auto audio mute not to function properly when
   Forward/Reverse/Lockout buttons and auto skip and direct manual lockout where used.
- Reversed some changes in v1.3.0.1 as those change where caused by this issue.

Added: 'Force manual audio mute when paused' option in 'Configure' > 'Scanner'
- This was default action since v1.2.2.6, this is no longer the case.
- As a result of other changes, forcing a manual audio mute is not really needed now as changing the 
   frequency while paused activates that frequency to allow the auto muting to function as expected.
- I added as option to allow those who may still like manual control of mute while paused.

- Please read it

I don't have a lot of time at the moment for testing so if you notice anything else, post the details and I look into it.
Removed v1.3.0.0 and v1.3.0.1 from downloads as they are not good releases.

Download

HASH: 46ed686f66ca1852e90e2522c0eb857a

thewraith2008

I'm sorry but I am having trouble figuring out the zoom change and the Lockout Fix:

- Zoom focus type 1 is perfectly clear to me. Type 2 isn't, can someone please help me on this?
- Does this mean one can only mark a number of frequencies to lockout them out with the view zoomed out?

Any help much appreciated, I'd really like to start using this plugin.

The documentation said:
Zooming in the channel analyser panel can be done with the mouse scroll wheel/click.

The zoom works one of two ways depending on option 'Disable focus zoom on active frequency'
  1. Un-checked: Will zoom in on (last) active frequency.​
  2. Checked: Will zoom in on position of mouse cursor.
For #1, place mouse cursor anywhere in channel analyser panel and use the scroll wheel up/down or scroll wheel click (quick zoom) to zoom in on the (last) active frequency.

For #2, place mouse cursor just above the frequency you wish to zoom in on and then use the scroll wheel up/down or scroll wheel click (quick zoom) to zoom.

NOTE: You must return to no zoom to begin to zooming on new frequency.

I'm not sure how else to explain it.