SDRTrunk how many dongles do i need for P25 Phase 2?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
oh and the dummy channels are set to NBFM but i was reading another post on here and it said to use p25 to set dummy channels i'll add a pic about that.

While back I was missing calls (tuner unavailable) with the Airspy mini because of the span of the freqs (2 sites, different systems) and where the cc's were. My one dummy is NBFM and it seems to work as I not longer get tuner unavailable. I also do not listen to my Sdrtrunk at all. Every talkgroups "Listen" option is set to off. I record many select talkgroups and have Trunking Recorder importing all the calls from both SDRtrunk and Unitrunker. I do selective playback thru TR's web interface.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
well thats alot. if i understand u correctly u don't listen to anything from sdrtrunk? what is the reason for recording everything?. and i am having problems with signal strenghth on the 161.800 site sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. and the thing is that the 161 site is closer to me than the 152 site. so i don't get that. i played with unitrunker some the new version i could only get static maybe i'll give it another try sometime but i'm a linux user mostly .

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
if i understand u correctly u don't listen to anything from sdrtrunk?
I have a few PC's in the house and SDRTrunk runs in the background (24/7) on my downstairs PC. Others use it at times. I have 2 more PC's and a Raspberry Pi3B+ upstairs in my PC room.

what is the reason for recording everything?
I record so that if I am not around the scanner and something of interest is going on, or crime close to home, I can access it from anywhere and know whats going on. Trunking Recorder has a purge option that I set it for 16 days. I also use Unitrunker for recording and logging also and tag tg's of interest to later look up the radio id and identify the user. One upstairs PC runs DSDPlus 24/4 recording selectively and plays back thru Scanner Audio Recorder.

Also have SDS200, 436 and a 330 running and recording with @ProScan

i played with unitrunker some the new version i could only get static maybe i'll give it another try sometime but i'm a linux user mostly .

The Stars system is Phase 2 which Unitrunker will not decode at this time. There is not a large amount of Phase 2 tg's listed on the system but Unitrunker should decode anything listed with a D, which is about 90 percent of the system. I suspect there are more Phase 2 tg's than what's listed in the database.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
well with what i am trying to listen to out of all those freqs i can only lock onto 2 and right now i havn't heard anything come over in probably 3 hours when i do hear stuff it's usually as far away as 70 miles but sometimes closer stuff i hear mainly the state police my local sheriff is all encrypted even tho is says it isn't on RR all i'm getting from them is full encryption so all i can hear is state police and department of corrections. i think it's stupid for such a small sheriff office like ours to be encrypted it's a waist of money. i'm hoping after i get my antenna up i'll pick up alot more stuff but who knows, i'm going with a j pole because i already have it instead of buying another one. i would love to have a sds100 but it's to costly i looked at a radio shack pro 668 for 200 bucks i thought about getting it if it would work with my area. u sound like u really have a setup that would be something i would like to get to one day.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
If this is the site of the system your trying to scan, it spans 9.3175mhz.

2 (2)013 (D)HonakerBuchanan152.6825c152.7125c161.875162.000

Since you have 2 rtl dongles, you should be able to get by, by creating 1 or 2 dummy nbfm channels. One @ 152.6975 and the other @ 161.9375. Assign one (set as preferred tuner) to one of the dongles, and assign (set as preferred tuner) the other to the second dongle. That will keep one dongle in the 150mhz range, for those 2 control channels, and the other in the 160mhz range, for the 2 voice freqs. Then start each, then start the system.
i want to go back here and ask u a question about this i set everything up like u said but the part where u say "That will keep one dongle in the 150mhz range, for those 2 control channels, and the other in the 160mhz range, for the 2 voice freqs" what do u mean by the 150mhz for 2 control channels? my CC are 152.6825 and 161.800 . the part i don't understand is keeping one dongle in the 150 for 2 CC. i only have 1 CC in the 150mhz. sorry it just caught my eye and i realized i don't understand that. i hope u can understand what i'm trying to say.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
That will keep one dongle in the 150mhz range, for those 2 control channels, and the other in the 160mhz range, for the 2 voice freqs"

i only have 1 CC in the 150mhz.

Honaker site has 2 cc in 150 range. (152.6825 & 152.7125). If your also scanning Oakwood, that has 1 cc in 150 range (152.8175) and 1 in 160 (161.800). So technically, there are 3 cc in the 150 range between the 2 sites. A site will only have 1 active cc running at a time.

2 (2)013 (D)HonakerBuchanan152.6825c152.7125c161.875162.000
2 (2)017 (11)OakwoodBuchanan152.8175c161.800c

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
ok it's only letting me lock on to two CC 152.6825 and 161.800 ...if i'm locked onto those what should my specific dummy channels be and how many of them is needed?. i guess i just need u to elaborate more on you other reply. also for some reason when i try to lock onto 152.6825 i will have to look at the waterfall and adjust the freqs to 152.6825 to 152.68141 and 161.800 to 161.79648 to get it to lock on i have automatic ppm turned on. if u was setting this system up how would you arrange everything. btw what does fade mean ?

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The 2 dummy should be set to what’s back in post 57. That tells the dongle to tune to those 2 freqs. Then when you start the 2 sites, their control channels are close to the 2 dummy freqs. You do not need to retune the dongle in the tuners tab. The way sdrtrunk works is it will see and lock onto anything you programmed in as long as it’s within reach. So you get 1.2 mhz (give or take) up and down from the dummy freqs (aka center point) and those cc and voice channels are within reach.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
The 2 dummy should be set to what’s back in post 57. That tells the dongle to tune to those 2 freqs. Then when you start the 2 sites, their control channels are close to the 2 dummy freqs. You do not need to retune the dongle in the tuners tab. The way sdrtrunk works is it will see and lock onto anything you programmed in as long as it’s within reach. So you get 1.2 mhz (give or take) up and down from the dummy freqs (aka center point) and those cc and voice channels are within reach.
does this look right? i have the 152 CC set to tuner 00000202 and the 152 NBFM also set to tuner 00000202 and the same with 161 am i doing that correct?. i keep seeing that fade to and i will see active alot but not hear anything. and my control channels i had to tweak for example instead of 152.6825 like RR shows i'm using 152.6841 i tweaked this judging from the waterfall. oh and sometimes a encrypted channel will show fade and active.

Attachments

• fade.png
    fade.png
    364.6 KB · Views: 10
  • fade1.png
    fade1.png
    396.9 KB · Views: 10

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
does this look right? i have the 152 CC set to tuner 00000202 and the 152 NBFM also set to tuner 00000202 and the same with 161 am i doing that correct?. i keep seeing that fade to and i will see active alot but not hear anything. and my control channels i had to tweak for example instead of 152.6825 like RR shows i'm using 152.6841 i tweaked this judging from the waterfall. oh and sometimes a encrypted channel will show fade and active.
i also want to ask you about this. i bought a splitter and some connecting wires for the j pole i am going to put up i'm still holding out on the LNA i think i want to wait and see how strong the signal is without it before i spend the money. but here is the splitter and connectors i bought what do u think will they work well with what i'm trying to do?

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 9
  • adapter1.jpeg
    adapter1.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 8

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
does this look right? i have the 152 CC set to tuner 00000202 and the 152 NBFM also set to tuner 00000202 and the same with 161 am i doing that correct?.

Set one dummy and assign it to a dongle. Then assign the other dummy to the other dongle. That's all you need to do. One dongle will be parked in the 152 range and the other in the 161 range. Then start each site.

i keep seeing that fade to and i will see active alot but not hear anything.
The definitions can be found here. I believe @maus92 indicated that fade indicates poor signal quality.

and my control channels i had to tweak for example instead of 152.6825 like RR shows i'm using 152.6841

i tweaked this judging from the waterfall.
Where did you tweak the control channel? In the playlist editor? Control channels do not need to be tweaked. If that's how much you had to change it to line up the signal on the waterfall, than your PPM adjustment is not at zero.

1718235789062.png

bought a splitter and some connecting wires for the j pole i am going to put up

Generally tv splitters split the signal, meaning a reduction at each port. I used many tv splitters over the years and I can say that if your signal is strong you will be good. If the signal is weak, it can be worse once split. But right now your using what came with the dongle. A j-pole outside should make a big difference. Was it a diy or a purchase?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have a few PC's in the house and SDRTrunk runs in the background (24/7) on my downstairs PC. Others use it at times. I have 2 more PC's and a Raspberry Pi3B+ upstairs in my PC room.

I record so that if I am not around the scanner and something of interest is going on, or crime close to home, I can access it from anywhere and know whats going on. Trunking Recorder has a purge option that I set it for 16 days. I also use Unitrunker for recording and logging also and tag tg's of interest to later look up the radio id and identify the user. One upstairs PC runs DSDPlus 24/4 recording selectively and plays back thru Scanner Audio Recorder.

Also have SDS200, 436 and a 330 running and recording with @ProScan

The Stars system is Phase 2 which Unitrunker will not decode at this time. There is not a large amount of Phase 2 tg's listed on the system but Unitrunker should decode anything listed with a D, which is about 90 percent of the system. I suspect there are more Phase 2 tg's than what's listed in the database.
STARS is mostly Phase 1, but is rolling out Phase 2 over time. The VSP is also planning to enable encryption at some point.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
well thats alot. if i understand u correctly u don't listen to anything from sdrtrunk? what is the reason for recording everything?. and i am having problems with signal strenghth on the 161.800 site sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. and the thing is that the 161 site is closer to me than the 152 site. so i don't get that. i played with unitrunker some the new version i could only get static maybe i'll give it another try sometime but i'm a linux user mostly .
There is likely terrain blocking your direct line-of-sight to the closer transmit site. They could also be using lower power / directional antennas for coverage reasons, or perhaps to prevent interference that might affect the National Radio Quiet Zone.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
ok i didn't know STARS was mostly phase 1 i know it says phase 2 on RR

I said that in post 63

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Set one dummy and assign it to a dongle. Then assign the other dummy to the other dongle. That's all you need to do. One dongle will be parked in the 152 range and the other in the 161 range. Then start each site.

The definitions can be found here. I believe @maus92 indicated that fade indicates poor signal quality.

Where did you tweak the control channel? In the playlist editor? Control channels do not need to be tweaked. If that's how much you had to change it to line up the signal on the waterfall, than your PPM adjustment is not at zero.

View attachment 163888

Generally tv splitters split the signal, meaning a reduction at each port. I used many tv splitters over the years and I can say that if your signal is strong you will be good. If the signal is weak, it can be worse once split. But right now your using what came with the dongle. A j-pole outside should make a big difference. Was it a diy or a purchase?
it was a purchase.. here is what my ppm is showing.... i adjusted the CC some according to the waterfall and i'm getting traffic just the same as when i use to not tweak it. hmmm

Attachments

• ppm.png
    ppm.png
    464.3 KB · Views: 2
  • ppm2.png
    ppm2.png
    448.7 KB · Views: 2

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
I said that in post 63
i bought this splitter but after i got it i realized that the part where u screw in the dongles it is to big, the parts that connect it ...what adapter would u recommend i get to fix that?

Attachments

• adapter1.jpeg
    adapter1.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
i was responding to @maus92 comment about STARS being mostly phase 1
Maus92 made the comment yesterday and you said yesterday, you did not know it was mostly phase one. I stated that it was mostly phase one in post 63 on Tuesday.

i bought this splitter but after i got it i realized that the part where u screw in the dongles it is to big, the parts that connect it ...what adapter would u recommend i get to fix that?

If you use the cables you bought in post 70, then F Type Male to SMA Female

1718299846231.png

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Maus92 made the comment yesterday and you said yesterday, you did not know it was mostly phase one. I stated that it was mostly phase one in post 63 on Tuesday.

If you use the cables you bought in post 70, then F Type Male to SMA Female

View attachment 163933
ok instead of buyng all those adapters since i already have the sma adapters could i use this RF Coaxial Power Splitter Divider SMA Female Connector 1:3 3-way 380MHz-2500MHz | eBay instead ? would it work with a bias tee? i don't see anywhere that is says it will it just says power splitter.