SDRTrunk how many dongles do i need for P25 Phase 2?

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Short answer. If the fm freqs are within 1.2mhz of the freqs you set each dummy channel to, then yes and you would create a nbfm channel in the play list editor and start it after you start the dummy channel

Long answer well it’s going to be short to cause it’s dinner time. Some of the freqs were labeled nxdn which sdrtrunk does not do. But you could set them up in a scan list in DSDPlus and use the 3 rd dongle. It would scan them like a scanner and DSDPlus does do nxdn.
ok i will give that a try...i am still waiting on my J pole but i got the splitter hooked up and it's hooked to one of those antennas that came with the dongle and it's really affecting my signal i can't lock onto the 152 CC now sometimes it will lock on but mostly it's off i'm hoping the J pole will fix that i want to wait and see first before i purchase a LNA ...

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Generally, the police would not hear the FD unless a. their respective tgs were patched together, or b. a police officer was monitoring the FD's tg for some reason. Wildlife is commonly encrypted to keep poachers from monitoring their comms.
ok so they have to have the tg programmed in to hear ..but i can no put the tg into sdrtrunk and i still hear everything is their radio's just diffferent or something?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
ok so they have to have the tg programmed in to hear ..but i can no put the tg into sdrtrunk and i still hear everything is their radio's just diffferent or something?
You will hear every talk group on the system unless you explicitly define it, then set listen to off.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
In regard to what @maus92 said, did you import the system into Sdrtrunk?

If so, you need to go to the alias tab in that playlist and turn off listen and or record to anything you do not want to hear.

1718543172466.png

Info on how trunking works.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Short answer. If the fm freqs are within 1.2mhz of the freqs you set each dummy channel to, then yes and you would create a nbfm channel in the play list editor and start it after you start the dummy channel

Long answer well it’s going to be short to cause it’s dinner time. Some of the freqs were labeled nxdn which sdrtrunk does not do. But you could set them up in a scan list in DSDPlus and use the 3 rd dongle. It would scan them like a scanner and DSDPlus does do nxdn.
question: does this spitter in the attached picture am i able to hook a bias tee to any output port? and not just a specific port

Attachments

• 81X-3Krjd-L._AC_SX679_.jpg
    81X-3Krjd-L._AC_SX679_.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

oh yeah and if i have only two dongles plugged into a two way splitter will i get better signal than two dongles plugged into a 4 way splitter?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
question: does this spitter in the attached picture am i able to hook a bias tee to any output port? and not just a specific port
Most likely not as nothing about voltage is mentioned.

oh yeah and if i have only two dongles plugged into a two way splitter will i get better signal than two dongles plugged into a 4 way splitter?

No, then the signal will be split 4 times.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Most likely not as nothing about voltage is mentioned.

how come when i'm locked onto the 152.6825 CC i will get a voice channel in the 161.8700? i thought a dongle could only do 2.4mhz and i'm only locked onto that one CC

No, then the signal will be split 4 times.