SDS-200 & Proscan

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0nhx

I have one of the SDS-200 scanners and am currently trying out Proscan for remote control and listening.

This is what I am trying to accomplish: Have the scanner installed at one of my tower sites to monitor a frequency (or frequencies) to determine what entity we are receiving. The site has a Cradlepoint Cellular Router and a Microtik RB-250 switch with open, unblocked Internet. I have opened ports 554 TCP and 50536 UDP and forwarded the ports to my scanner's private IP and confirmed that I am not double NAT'd.

I have given my scanner a static private IP and connected it to a LAN port. When I connect to the router via WiFi with my PC, I can enter the IP address and control the scanner AND listen to audio with no problems.

The problem occurs when I try to connect to the scanner from another Internet connection such as another Cradlepoint router or the hotspot on my iPhone. I am able to connect to the scanner and control it and see the display but I cannot get any audio to pass. It never assigns a Scanner UDP port (it shows "0") when viewing the Audio Control > Source Client tab.

I have tried power cycling the scanner as well as disabling the IP and re-enabling it as outlined in the instructions to no avail.

I'm not wanting to set up a web server or Remote Scanner over IP, just want to be able to remotely control with the Proscan software. At this point I'm not sure if that is even possible.

I reached out to ProScan and he recommended I check here to see if anyone else had done the same thing or seen these problems.

Maybe there's a better piece of software for what I'm wanting to accomplish. Any thoughts along those lines?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
ProScan is the best software. Your network settings are wrong, probably a port not forwarded, or else blocked.

kb0nhx

My first thought was an incorrect network setting, but it still doesn't stream audio when I placed the scanner's IP into the DMZ, which should forward all ports leaving none blocked. Placing the scanner in the DMZ didn't make any difference. Any other thoughts?

What I can't find is a list of ports that need to be forwarded, etc. I grabbed 554 and 50536 from the Proscan software and not from their manual or anywhere else.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
If you're using "another Cradlepoint router" I would double and triple check you are not double NAT'd. Network gurus may know more about that.

kb0nhx

Unless I misunderstand double NATing, it is no the case. Cradlepoint A is in one city with scanner connected via an Ethernet port and Cradlepoint B in another city with a PC connected to it running ProScan. It works 100% of the time for control, but no matter what we have tried we cannot get the audio to work over the Internet.

Anyone with networking experience that might see something I've overlooked, please chime in. Great scanner, great software, just can't determine why audio isn't passing over the Internet when it works when both the scanner and PC are on the same network

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Great scanner, great software, just can't determine why audio isn't passing over the Internet when it works when both the scanner and PC are on the same network
That's pretty solid proof it's a networking issue, not a ProScan issue.

kb0nhx

So I should be able to do what I’m wanting to do with Proscan the way I’m going about it - is that right?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Something is blocking the TCP connection. Audio uses TCP & UDP. Data uses UDP only.

Point A (ProScan) can't reach Point B (scanner). Something wrong between point A & B.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So I should be able to do what I’m wanting to do with Proscan the way I’m going about it - is that right?
Many people use ProScan to remotely control and stream audio through an internet connection. That part is known/proven to work. The hard part is making sure everything between ProScan and the scanner is configured correctly when they aren't on the same network subnet.

kb0nhx

I think that is the issue, Jon. Would really like to use the scanner and Pro Scan together over the Internet. I find it hard to believe if people are doing it that the "technical" aspect of how it's being done isn't readily available on the Internet. Knowing what ports to allow through a firewall, etc would be a great start.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I think that is the issue, Jon. Would really like to use the scanner and Pro Scan together over the Internet. I find it hard to believe if people are doing it that the "technical" aspect of how it's being done isn't readily available on the Internet. Knowing what ports to allow through a firewall, etc would be a great start.

See if this helps.... see if you can get the web server to run as a starting point...

check this guide... it's written for the BCD536HP, but just use the menu in the SDS200 to setup the IP address on your scanner instead of the dongle with the 536. The rest of the setup is the same for both scanners (just substitute SDS200 for BCD536HP in the rest of the instructions). I would definitely use a static IP address for the scanner rather than DHCP.

https://www.proscan.org/Uniden%20BCD536HP%20Wi-fi%20Stream%20and%20Remote%20Access%20Via%20Proscan%20Web%20Server.pdf

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So is there a range of ports that need to be opened in my firewall for TCP & UDP?

No, never had to do that, and never heard of that with any other installations by other folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.