sds 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimtib1

Premium Subscriber
I have a SDS200 scanner.I am trying to plug my micro usb cable into the scanner ad it will not go in.I dont want to press to hard and break the socket.Can i update by taking the card out and use my card in my computer.I only have one hand due to a stroke.I also have a home patrol2 and a 999xt.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Just a thought, In the future you might want to have someone plug in the cable and just leave it attached to the 200. They sell 90 degree angle plugs that would aim down then you can loop the cable under the unit and coil it up in the rear still attached. I leave mine connected all the time and actually place the loose end in a nightstand drawer to keep it out of the way.

RBMTS

I'm going to ask a question of the OP here but I don't want it taken as being condescending to the OP.

The mini USB plug has a subtle isosceles shape that can sometimes be hard to see. It needs to be plugged in properly to match the shape. Are you sure you are not trying to plug it in upside down? I myself have accidentally made attempts to plug in the cable with the wrong side up/down.

The mini USB cables are pretty common and you might have others laying around the house. If you do, try a different one. Maybe the one you have is slightly bent.

Again, not trying to be condescending - rather offering a thought just to be sure.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
The mini USB cables are pretty common and you might have others laying around the house. If you do, try a different one. Maybe the one you have is slightly bent.

Micro, not mini. But you are correct about micro USB cables being common. Lots of devices (including older phones) use them.

OP ... you didn't by chance try to use the cable from another scanner, did you? Other scanners with USB ports, including the SDS100, do use a mini USB. The SDS200 is a micro USB.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Micro, not mini. But you are correct about micro USB cables being common. Lots of devices (including older phones) use them.

OP ... you didn't by chance try to use the cable from another scanner, did you? Other scanners with USB ports, including the SDS100, do use a mini USB. The SDS200 is a micro USB.
Still can't figure out why they couldn't use the same frekin cable for both the SDS models. Lots of us own both base and port. Why not use the same type for both? Don't mean to go off topic but this is a perfect situation where the consumer can get confused.

tvengr

Well Known Member
As said before the SDS200 requires a micro USB cable. Make sure that the wide side of the plug is up. It will insert in one direction only.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Still can't figure out why they couldn't use the same frekin cable for both the SDS models. Lots of us own both base and port. Why not use the same type for both? Don't mean to go off topic but this is a perfect situation where the consumer can get confused.
As long as you brought it up, along the same lines... BNC & SMA antenna connectors... Uniden went to the SMA on their BCDx36HP and SDS models only to revert back to the BNC for the BCD325P2. What’s next... PL259’s?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have a SDS200 scanner.I am trying to plug my micro usb cable into the scanner ad it will not go in.I dont want to press to hard and break the socket.Can i update by taking the card out and use my card in my computer.I only have one hand due to a stroke.I also have a home patrol2 and a 999xt.

Once you identify the proper orientation and look to see if your "UNIDEN OEM" AC adapter has a silver holographic sticker on one side of the plug. Mine has one and when it's plugged in properly it's on the top of the plug. If you don't have that sticker, maybe put a dab of white nail polish or something similar to identify the top. After that it will be easy to be sure.

Also the plug has a pronounced barb on the top side of the metal portion that actually inserts into the socket on the scanner. You should defintly be able to feel it with your finger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.