SDS100/SDS200: SDS Firmware 12/21/23 Digital Reception Improvements

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It's very simple, so let's break it down so we don't go back and forth in two threads answering the same questions:

1) The latest version of Sentinel x36HP/SDS (2.05.03) is FREE and you download it here: https://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BCDx36HPSentinel

2) The latest firmware for the SDS100 and SDS200 (1.23.01) is FREE and you download it with the latest version of Sentinel as noted in #1. This firmware includes "improved digital reception performance"

3) The optional new waterfall/spectrum display for the SDS100 and SDS200 costs $20 to unlock, and requires the latest versions of Sentinel and firmware as noted in #1 and #2. You purchase that key from myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area
Yeah I realized that it's just another update and not an upgrade per se. I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop, right now everything's working so well, sans encryption.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Yes, my area has one site called simulcast with 26 towers which of course can't be locked out or manipulated in the radio.
There's like 10 cells here on our primary site and it's working fine. I honestly can't really tell any difference as yet -- in terms of audio quality.

Is it just me or does the overall scanning speed seem a tad quicker? I'm using the SDS-200 currently. I'll update my SDS-100 later.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
There's like 10 cells here on our primary site and it's working fine. I honestly can't really tell any difference as yet.

Is it just me or does the overall scanning speed seem a tad quicker?

It definitely seems to be running a little faster. Maybe that's just because I haven't watched it scan much but it's going through all the programmed TG's quick.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
It definitely seems to be running a little faster. Maybe that's just because I haven't watched it scan much but it's going through all the programmed TG's quick.
Yeah true. I'm not searching -- just scanning on this system -- so perhaps that is where the speed bump lies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There's like 10 cells here on our primary site
FYI the "cell" is the whole simulcast site itself, so only one of those per unique Site ID. A simulcast cell is comprised of multiple physical transmit/receive locations, known as "subsites", which together act and appear as one single "site". Or in slightly different terms, a simulcast cell is a collection of multiple physical sites within the coverage area, which together make up one "virtual" site. (not picking on you, just explaining some of the terminology so everyone is on the same page)

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Like it said in the release notes, this "improvement" might not be noticed everywhere. From my observations so far, as I noted it has and hasn't. The audio quality has improved from the previous public release, but Phase 2 audio still goes into this garble at times and also have seen it stop scanning, full signal bars, no P25 or LNK indicator. This is across 4 separate SDS200's, 2 different systems, all simulcast since this afternoon's release. Phase 1 has no issues.

I also monitor a Phase 2 single site system and this issue hasn't happened, so this probably has something to do with different control channel data. Like I said, it's almost there, just one more tweak and should be good.

On another note, the P25 OFT (One Frequency Trunk) system has drastically improved. The scanner is stopping on transmissions, unlike before where it skipped a couple cycles and picked up mid conversations.

Cap+ rest channel decoding seems to have slightly improved too. NXDN trunking also seems to have some decoding improvements too.

I'll keep experimenting with different systems, but I'm sure this is why the location disclaimer was added in.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Like it said in the release notes, this "improvement" might not be noticed everywhere. From my observations so far, as I noted it has and hasn't. The audio quality has improved from the previous public release, but Phase 2 audio still goes into this garble at times and also have seen it stop scanning, full signal bars, no P25 or LNK indicator. This is across 4 separate SDS200's, 2 different systems, all simulcast since this afternoon's release. Phase 1 has no issues.

I also monitor a Phase 2 single site system and this issue hasn't happened, so this probably has something to do with different control channel data. Like I said, it's almost there, just one more tweak and should be good.

On another note, the P25 OFT (One Frequency Trunk) system has drastically improved. The scanner is stopping on transmissions, unlike before where it skipped a couple cycles and picked up mid conversations.

Cap+ rest channel decoding seems to have slightly improved too. NXDN trunking also seems to have some decoding improvements too.

I'll keep experimenting with different systems, but I'm sure this is why the location disclaimer was added in.
I've noticed that my issues depend on wether my SDS's are receiving Phase 1 or 2, which switching between the two is common in my use case. Also the audio quality issue is very dependent on where I'm at in relation to the sites I'm receiving.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
FYI the "cell" is the whole simulcast site itself, so only one of those per unique Site ID. A simulcast cell is comprised of multiple physical transmit/receive locations, known as "subsites", which together act and appear as one single "site".
Got it, yeah, I just misspoke there.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
My SDS200 is working great with the new firmware, but i dont see much difference if any

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
What they define as a receiving area could be a porta potty in the middle of the desert. Really vague.

NXDN trunking also seems to have some decoding improvements too.
Do you have any NXDN OFT you can comment on?

I would be happy if it would display all P25 rid's, regardless of where they originate from.

Peerlessk

I have a question in regards to the RF gain . For those of us monitoring a system say 50 miles away having the static along with signal . Would this new upgrade help people like me monitoring an analog system that is hard monitoring ? Would it just be louder static ? I’m confused about how all of a sudden how RF gain would be better with an upgrade or worse from the scanners hardware / software . would the upgrade be worth it?

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Much improved reception on the Oakland County Simulcast here in southeast Michigan. Before the update I wasn't hearing anything, after Loud and Clear!
I’m over in Muskegon. I plan to update my 200s this weekend to try it out. Will be curious to see if the change is limited to sites in your area or MPSCS reception in general.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I have a question in regards to the RF gain . For those of us monitoring a system say 50 miles away having the static along with signal . Would this new upgrade help people like me monitoring an analog system that is hard monitoring ? Would it just be louder static ? I’m confused about how all of a sudden how RF gain would be better with an upgrade or worse from the scanners hardware / software . would the upgrade be worth it?
Doesn't seem to do anything for RF Gain or whatever the improvement was "digital decode"

For analog, the best way to get rid of static is to upgrade your antenna.

The firmware upgrade is FREE.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
What they define as a receiving area could be a porta potty in the middle of the desert. Really vague.

Do you have any NXDN OFT you can comment on?

I would be happy if it would display all P25 rid's, regardless of where they originate from.
No NXDN OFT's in use around me anymore. I'm not sure what you mean by the P25 RID's being displayed regardless of where they originate from?

Ubbe

I have a question in regards to the RF gain .
Isn't RF gain only accessable while in the waterfall function and not at all in other modes like when scanning?

It would had been great if individual gain values could have been set to each programmed system, after evaluating the gain in the spectrum view to get the perfect gain without getting additional interference spikes, that will be dependent of the antenna used and the general local RF interference level.

/Ubbe