SDS100/SDS200: SDS Firmware 12/21/23 Digital Reception Improvements

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
After doing the upgrade the lack of display brightness is really evident. I'm considering opening it up and doing something to ramp up the output.
It might be easier, to back out of the update and the upgrade, just saying.

That's why I publicly said I was going to wait, and I'm glad I did.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber

How might one revert to the previous version of the firmware? I would be interested to see if the decode issues go away when I do so.

mancow

Database Admin

No, sorry, I was unclear. It's nothing to do with the upgrade. I'm just saying that all the extra detail in the waterfall really needs a brighter display to bring it out. I have mine side by side with my IC7300, which they obviously design copied, and the 7300 is probably 3x brighter. It's just difficult to see those little waterfall differences with such a dim display.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
No, sorry, I was unclear. It's nothing to do with the upgrade. I'm just saying that all the extra detail in the waterfall really needs a brighter display to bring it out. I have mine side by side with my IC7300, which they obviously design copied, and the 7300 is probably 3x brighter. It's just difficult to see those little waterfall differences with such a dim display.
Ah, you're right I misunderstood, I'm not particularly interested in waterfall, not something that would be useful to me as I just listened and have a clear display without any reception indicators, what's the point?

I'm just looking for Improvement and I really don't have any systems that require improvement over the excellent reception I get on Phase 2 simulcast.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
So just in this thread alone, there are some happy, and some not happy with the digital performance aspect of the update. Some noticed change and some have not. Pretty much the same on the fakebook groups and some of those folks are reporting that the squelch opens faster.

Sucks for those just wanting to get the waterfall feature, as there could be a risk with reception.

Do you mean patched system from one Trunking system to another? I don't recognize FQSUID's acronym?

1703339879210.png

Unless you use SDRT, you may have never seen or even knew about source strings that look like this on P25 systems linked via ISSI.

1703338508645.png

SDRT can see this info on the control channel, letting the end scanner user know, and after converting to hex, where the source is coming from. Then allowing the user to assign a alpha tag.

The 436 and 200 do not display anything at all. This is what Uniden shows on the same tg above in SDRT.

1703341912824.png

So on the 700 dollar scanner, no way to tag or even know that the radios on 65370 are coming from the East Hampton system. One may write off the missing uid's as maybe poor decodes.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So just in this thread alone, there are some happy, and some not happy with the digital performance aspect of the update. Some noticed change and some have not. Pretty much the same on the fakebook groups and some of those folks are reporting that the squelch opens faster.

Sucks for those just wanting to get the waterfall feature, as there could be a risk with reception.

View attachment 153490

Unless you use SDRT, you may have never seen or even knew about source strings that look like this on P25 systems linked via ISSI.

View attachment 153485

SDRT can see this info on the control channel, letting the end scanner user know, and after converting to hex, where the source is coming from. Then allowing the user to assign a alpha tag.

The 436 and 200 do not display anything at all. This is what Uniden shows on the same tg above in SDRT.

View attachment 153499

So on the 700 dollar scanner, no way to tag or even know that the radios on 65370 are coming from the East Hampton system. One may write off the missing uid's as maybe poor decodes.
Thank you for this, your explanation is great!

garys

Premium Subscriber
No different than any other update for any scanner going back to the x36HP and maybe even before.

View attachment 153490

View attachment 153485

View attachment 153499

freqseeker

Last night my SDS200 was experiencing way more digital errors than I have ever seen on my local P25P2 system. Audio was choppy and garbled 20% of the time for most of the evening. Today it's back to normal.
I did not upgrade the firmware yet (haven't had time to), but if I had I would probably think the new firmware caused it.
I'm not saying the new firmware doesn't have issues, just give it some time while observing carefully.

BrianLoch

Premium Subscriber
Updated my SDS 200 FW ( 1.23.01) with an update to my Sentinel (2.05.03) with no noticeable performance improvements. My G5 continues to capture the same systems key ups faster with no missed communications.
I prefer my g4. Superb radio for the same $. I purchased my sds-100 for my mother and she hated it so she has the g4. I am wholly underwhelmed with the 100. Next time I go to visit mom I may try to get the g4 back lol.

garys

Premium Subscriber
If the word got out there would be the inevitable calls for a class action suit. If successful SDS owners would get a free battery clip (SDS100) or a free set of mounting knobs (SDS200). The lawyers would get enough money to buy new BMWs. ;)

I wonder if people realize Uniden (or any company) could say they improved something and actually did nothing and people would still swear they see an improvement or degradation.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I'm guessing this is the improvement mentioned in July...

Not soon enough, but there is progress. OK, I'll spill the beans. Currently being tested is an improvement for digital decoding of all digital modes (P25, DMR, and NXDN). I know we all want more ASAP, but updates are starting to roll out.

Last edited:

bobhud

Premium Subscriber
Where do you see the firmware ?
Here is my experience with your question:
I haven't had time to even turn on my SDS200 for a couple on months now, because I been doing updates on my ham radios.
Today 12/23/2023, I turn on my scanner just to do my Data Base updates.
I ran the BCDx36HP Sentinel and it informed me that I needed to do a Software update and I proceeded with update.
Ran the new version of Sentinel, clicked "Update" to check "Firmware" and sure enough it said I had a Firmware update, and proceed through that process.
Next, ran the "Update Master Database", which I originally was going to do in the 1st place.
So bottom line for me, I just followed the steps that Sentinel asked me to do and I'm all up to date.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Last night my SDS200 was experiencing way more digital errors than I have ever seen on my local P25P2 system. Audio was choppy and garbled 20% of the time for most of the evening. Today it's back to normal.
I did not upgrade the firmware yet (haven't had time to), but if I had I would probably think the new firmware caused it.
I'm not saying the new firmware doesn't have issues, just give it some time while observing carefully.
Your 200 probably knew about the update and was just giving you a preview.