SDS100/SDS200: SDS Firmware 12/21/23 Digital Reception Improvements

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Isn't RF gain only accessable while in the waterfall function and not at all in other modes like when scanning?

It would had been great if individual gain values could have been set to each programmed system, after evaluating the gain in the spectrum view to get the perfect gain without getting additional interference spikes, that will be dependent of the antenna used and the general local RF interference level.

/Ubbe
Isn't that what AGC is for in the RF section of the circuit? I can't imagine having to set it per site or anything like that. Manual RF gain is almost useless on analog signals, can easily overload the front end and/or raise the noise level (static, intermod, etc).

blackbelter

Updated my SDS 200 FW ( 1.23.01) with an update to my Sentinel (2.05.03) with no noticeable performance improvements. My G5 continues to capture the same systems key ups faster with no missed communications.

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Wondering if the chip manufacturer did some firmware update and uniden is passing this along to us to help improve digital decoding.

kc0cat

Premium Subscriber
Just did the update on my SDS200. Does anyone happen to know if you increase the RF Gain while in waterfall mode and then exit waterfall mode does the new RF Gain setting stay in effect or does it only apply while in waterfall mode? I live in the middle of the desert and am not concerned with front end overload.

cg

Premium Subscriber
not to stray too far off topic but here is the ISSI info

ISSI on Wikipedia
State of CT uses it, works very well but not scanner friendly (UIDs and TGIDs are different than on the native systems and change)

Ubbe

Wondering if the chip manufacturer did some firmware update and uniden is passing this along to us to help improve digital decoding.
The receiver chip have a fixed control program that cannot be upgraded and it outputs a chunk of the frequency to the DSP, I think it is that 2.88MHz chunk mentioned in the waterfall feature discussion, and it's the DSP that then decodes the signal and the different digital formats and that decoding software are done by Uniden. So they have all the control of the decoding functions.

/Ubbe

mancow

Database Admin
After I updated my SDS100 the simulcast is missing a lot and going digital. My 436 is receiving fine from the same location.

How do I revert back to have a functioning radio?
Did you try different filter selections?

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I am noting very degraded digital decoding using my SDS100 on a Motorola Type II system after the firmware upgrade. The system’s analog talkgroups sound fine, and other P25 systems seem to have no difficulties. Has anyone else noticed similar behavior?

I need to compare with another scanner to see if it is related to the firmware upgrade or is some sort of other odd behavior that started around the time I upgraded.

lkas

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed one a few depts using digital the signal meters shows a worse signal than with the older firmware. For instance i have a county that uses P25 phase 1. The control channel used to come in at -97 rssi with 4 out of 5 bars. Since the firmware update the signal jusmpse from -93 rssi to nothing. IT is flashing back and forth rapidly. I have the hold time set for 5 seconds and am only monitoring this county. I have a another county where the signal went from -60 rssi to -100 rssi. It seems so far 5-6 depts digital control channels have gotten worse. I am using a sds-100

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Just compared with a BCD436HP, and the SDS100 continues to miss transmissions on the Motorola system while the BCD436HP performs without a hitch. Transmissions are fine sometimes, but other times they are dropped completely or become very garbled. Occasionally I see "ENCRY" flash briefly, but the transmissions are fully in the clear. This behavior happens in various locations, even when the signal is extremely strong. I have had zero issues monitoring this system in the past.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just did the update on my SDS200. Does anyone happen to know if you increase the RF Gain while in waterfall mode and then exit waterfall mode does the new RF Gain setting stay in effect or does it only apply while in waterfall mode? I live in the middle of the desert and am not concerned with front end overload.
Check the reply above from post number 41.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
After I updated my SDS100 the simulcast is missing a lot and going digital. My 436 is receiving fine from the same location.

How do I revert back to have a functioning radio?

I am noting very degraded digital decoding using my SDS100 on a Motorola Type II system after the firmware upgrade. The system’s analog talkgroups sound fine, and other P25 systems seem to have no difficulties. Has anyone else noticed similar behavior?

I need to compare with another scanner to see if it is related to the firmware upgrade or is some sort of other odd behavior that started around the time I upgraded.
That's why, I gave it a few days and at this point a week or two before I touch my radios. They work so good now. Thanks for the reports guys! I just want to make sure I don't introduce some jackpot I wish I didn't. Thanks again.

mancow

Database Admin
After doing the upgrade the lack of display brightness is really evident. I'm considering opening it up and doing something to ramp up the output.