SDS series feature request

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
The ability to keep custom alerts throughout the entire time the radio is holding on to the channel.
In example, talkgroups that have colored lights / flashing patterns. When receiving these, initially, the lights and or flashing patterns, work, for a brief period of time, then they cease even if there's still audio going on.

Copyright and Patents will prevent that from ever happening unless they pay to use them. Which is highly unlikely.

brettbolt

I would like to have more recording and playback options:
1) Right now it is hard coded at a max of 100 recordings per group. I would like to be able to adjust it to my preference.
2) If I am playing back a long boring transmission, I would like to be able to skip to the next one. Currently, turning the dial will change the transmission number, but the currently playing transmission still continues to the end (bug?).
3) A 'delete all recordings' function (without having to do it from a PC).
4) During recording it would be nice to know how many transmissions have been recorded so far.

sp7foy

Traveling often I am looking for anything.
I'm missing out on RDS decoding. The SDS series is just a software patch.

jjbond

Banned
Banned
I would like to see in Future SDS models,
#1 - A Continious Coverage scanner from 100 khz all the way to 2500 or 3500 Mhz. (Cell Blocked ).
#2 - ALL BAND ALL MODE Operation, AM-FM Broadcast (Ferrite Antenna), All HAM HF, VHF & UHF, SHF Scanning, VHF & UHF Public Safety, VHF Air Band, Marine VHF, Military Air band, and Part 15 Radio Devices.
All Mode Scanning, AM, FM, WFM, SSB, CW, as well as D-Star, Fusion, Alinco, P25 I - II- III, Analog and Digital Trunking and Digital Simplex.
NXDN, DMR, TETRA.
#3 - Unlimited frequency tuning Steps and Search Steps for ALL BANDS.
#4 - Built in GPS with WAAS and D-GPS. Ability to GPS Track any Tower or Transmitter (programed).
#5 - Built in Bluetooth Audio with A2DP Audio Streeming and T-Coil (Deaf).
#6 - Built in SD card Memory Management and Nationwide Database and Software Similar to EZ scan. Ability to SAVE Bandscope DATA and GPS position. Dual Record of Scanner Audio.
#7 - faster Scan and Search rates to Maximum ALLOWED Limits. also Multiple scan and search modes (Voice, Tone, Reverse order, BANK Skip mode).
#8 - High Power waterproof Speaker w/ in Line Amp and Audio Filtering/Noise Canceling.
#9 - High Quality TCXO or OCXO for Frequency stability.
#10 - Multi power system , AC - DC and USB power.

Excuse me, this thread is for civilians only please, you're obviously a fed cus that's the only person who could afford to purchase your dream machine, or the firepower to keep a couple of us from tying you up and stealing it... or at least playing with it for a while.... as much as it would be awesome to own. :)

I'd like to have a different connector for antenna, I know everyone thinks SMA have less loss than BNC etc but the risk of snapping off that SMA far outweight any added sensitivity in my opinion, and please don't change it to some unique type like TNC (like a couple portable companies did in the 80's), TNC's are great for the added performance over BNC and are great for their last common commercial use, AMPS mobile cell transcievers in the 80's but the options are too limited for portable antennas and that would only require manufactures to tool up to produce and most wouldn't do it for one product (the SDS100.

TNC connector - Wikipedia

s-l300.jpg

If you're not going to get away from the SMA, at least switch to the right gender so we can use authentic Motorola antennas on it without introducing even more snappage risk as shown in one of my posts below.

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/sds200-vs-bcd536hp-p25-reception.386573/#post-3127753Oh

And lose the plastic shoulder around the antenna connection that keeps us from using different antennas witout choping them up. We know you say we need it for water proofing, water proof the O ring on the antenna connection, you don't need to waterproof the whole bottom of the antenna any more than a man needs to wear a condom over the entire lower half of his body to serve the purpose... Motorola knows how to make an intrinsically safe radio that keeps out micron dust, let alone water, I'm sure you can figure it out Uniden. :)

OH OH OH OH OH... one more item... and it may have been mentioned...

A DROP IN CHARGER/BATTERY!!! I MEAN, COME ON UNIDEN, YOU HAVE A TWO WAY RADIO DIVISION, DO YOU NOT ALL GO TO THE SAME COMPANY PICNIC OR WHAT!!!!

jjbond

Banned
Banned
trentbob - I bought my AOR 1000 for $999 in 1980's, worth every penny, it was Difficlut to program but could Receive MILAIR and Cellular like a charm.
Ditto on my Regency MX7000 (made by AOR), those were the days..

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PSX_20190504_002248001.jpeg
I always liked the idea of adding more options to the display even though I obviously use very few of them. The adding an indication of what filter is being used on an object was a good idea. Keep new display options coming.

hardsuit, I just saw your reply and that is a good point, you didn't have to pull that radio around in a wagon behind you LOL.

Jen, I never understood why we have this proprietary waterproof SMA connection. I have a gallon Ziploc bag of BNC, SMA and Motorola antennas and I cut up a few of them in trying to find a good alternative for the mediocre antenna that came with the radio. Thank goodness for the ex GRE Tech who converted the 800/uhf antena to the SMA 100 mount rebranded as remtronix.

I wish I still had my MX 7000, those were the days!

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
And lose the plastic shoulder around the antenna connection that keeps us from using different antennas witout choping them up. We know you say we need it for water proofing, water proof the O ring on the antenna connection, you don't need to waterproof the whole bottom of the antenna any more than a man needs to wear a condom over the entire lower half of his body to serve the purpose... Motorola knows how to make an intrinsically safe radio that keeps out micron dust, let alone water, I'm sure you can figure it out Uniden. :)

Maybe they intend on releasing their own line of custom antennas in the future and this is their way of grabbing market share. "Our antennas fit, theirs don't"

OH OH OH OH OH... one more item... and it may have been mentioned...

A DROP IN CHARGER/BATTERY!!! I MEAN, COME ON UNIDEN, YOU HAVE A TWO WAY RADIO DIVISION, DO YOU NOT ALL GO TO THE SAME COMPANY PICNIC OR WHAT!!!!

I think that boat sailed when they had to introduce the larger battery and it would no longer fit in the existing drop in charger for the MHS335BT.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Wide area multi site trunking systems. AKA Statewide systems. Allow the user to choose if the scanner finds a site and stays on that site based on acceptable RSSI level or continue to scan all sites for activity. The scanning time is really bad when the scanner is always scanning all sites when I can only hear one or two of them. Sure, I can manipulate favorites lists and site settings, but that gets old real quick. In this proposed mode, once the system is selected and finds a site with acceptable RSSI, then the scanner stays on that site until the signal drops or gets too low, then the scanner would search for another site. This is above and beyond the GPS feature to turn on and off favorite lists.

SDS 200 - Let the user choose via menu settings what the third wire is for on the 12VDC mobile power cord. One practical feature would be a ignition sense input. The end user can choose if they want backlight control or ignition sense. It's very stressful to just cut power to the scanner when the manual says to always use the power switch or data corruption may occur. Sure, some have done it wil no ill effects, but a true ignition sense wire would solve this issue once and for all.

Remote control head. You can count on one hand how many brand new 2019 model vehicles this scanner will mount into properly. Beyond that, in order to use it in a car, you have to either have to remove parts of the dash/console to make it fit, mount it next to the passenger knee or bolt it to the top of the dash which would be dangerous. Don't get me wrong, the SDS 200 form factor is awesome for desktop use, but a remote mount head would be really good to allow permanent mobile use. Streaming to a tablet for a virtual control head is not what I am talking about. A true front panel that is hardwired into the scanner. It could us its Ethernet port connection, or something. I haven't bought a SDS 200 yet, because I can't mount it in my vehicle :(

SDS 100 - Drop in charger. As mentioned in a earlier post, I also echo this request.

Bluetooth to allow streaming audio to a vehicle audio system or external Bluetooth speaker. Allow the user to turn the Bluetooth feature on or off to save battery if the feature isn't desired.

Don't get me wrong, I think the SDS line is awesome, and Uniden has done a great job with it. These proposed suggestions are reasonable and would further enhance an already great scanner.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Wide area multi site trunking systems. AKA Statewide systems. Allow the user to choose if the scanner finds a site and stays on that site based on acceptable RSSI level or continue to scan all sites for activity. The scanning time is really bad when the scanner is always scanning all sites when I can only hear one or two of them. Sure, I can manipulate favorites lists and site settings, but that gets old real quick. In this proposed mode, once the system is selected and finds a site with acceptable RSSI, then the scanner stays on that site until the signal drops or gets too low, then the scanner would search for another site. This is above and beyond the GPS feature to turn on and off favorite lists.

I'm totally into the wide area scanning of the Province Wide 700 MHz P25 system here in Alberta. I takes a while to scan all 322 sites.
I use my P7200 which works well doing it but I'm limited by the number of talk groups I can scan and there's no ability to search and scan.

Hit_Factor

I'm totally into the wide area scanning of the Province Wide 700 MHz P25 system here in Alberta. I takes a while to scan all 322 sites.
I use my P7200 which works well doing it but I'm limited by the number of talk groups I can scan and there's no ability to search and scan.
Use location based scanning, set range to zero.

If the database has incorrect range settings submit new data to RR.

JimHumphrey

Premium Subscriber
I agree with R8000, ignition sense would be perfect in the vehicle application as well as the remote head. I had to purchase a bracket that is used in marine applications to mount my SDS200 in my 2015 Silverado. I'm not fond of having to turn it off and then on again. I used to have a 996xt in my truck and never had to turn it off and on.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
A fast working AGC are the ticket to handle big audio level differencies on the same TG. The attach and decay time have to be adjustable and also the AGC's degree of impact to the resulting audio. All the latest Uniden scanners since almost 10 years back have AGC but I don' know if the SDS series actually have one as no one seems to have tested for it.

/Ubbe
Well maybe if you bought one you would know vs. exasperating volumes of smoke to users without any actual knowledge

jjbond

Banned
Banned
In an attempt to continue this discussion PAST longwire’s reply which apparently everyone is speechless from, I’ll add “scan speed at least on par with the PRO-2004 I had 20+ years ago... I mean really, this is pathetically slow (even if your not on auto filter setting). Please give us proper 30th century scan speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.