SDS100 Better Antenna for Rural Areas????

CTWaters

Good morning all.

So I am bringing my SDS-100 up to Overgaard, AZ (Navajo County) which is extremely rural.

The upgraded antenna (same size, just don't remember the manufacturer) works great to pick up the local stuff. However, things like Highway Patrol, the next city over, etc., which are approx. 20'ish miles come in with lots of white noise.

If I hook it up to my dual band Ham/GMRS antenna on the roof, man oh man... However, this will be inside and nowhere near an antenna connection for the outdoor antenna.

Anyone have any recommendations that are *tried and trued* for an antenna upgrade that will work better? I don't know if an extendable mast antenna like what's on my SDS-200 would work better or not.

I appreciate the help.

Trucker700

The outside antenna up high will always out perform the antenna that comes with the radio. It is hard to get that kind of performance from a regular handheld scanner antenna.
James

CTWaters

The outside antenna up high will always out perform the antenna that comes with the radio. It is hard to get that kind of performance from a regular handheld scanner antenna.
James
Oh trust me, I know... I wish I had a way I could tap in to it without running coax to the other side of the house, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I just didn't know if anyone had some experience with the Remtronix 842S antenna, versus the 920S that I have I believe is the model # from like 3 years ago when I bought the scanner.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Afternoon time,

I have a Uniden SDS100 that I use to scan the airwaves and the antenna I am using is the DPD Productions Omni-X outdoor antenna on a metal pole about 40ft in the air and so far no issues when listening to Military, Railroad, local PD/Sheriff/Fire/EMS and Federal. The antenna coax I am using is Times Microwave LMR-400 (yes the coax is pricey but worth it). Make sure as well you use weather rated tape to protect the coax connectors on both antenna and coax itself and Dave the owner of DPD sales on his website.

Good luck on your purchase of your outdoor antenna.

- Jamie

image0.jpeg
OmniX Scanner Base Antenna

CTWaters

Afternoon time,

I have a Uniden SDS100 that I use to scan the airwaves and the antenna I am using is the DPD Productions Omni-X outdoor antenna on a metal pole about 40ft in the air and so far no issues when listening to Military, Railroad, local PD/Sheriff/Fire/EMS and Federal. The antenna coax I am using is Times Microwave LMR-400 (yes the coax is pricey but worth it). Make sure as well you use weather rated tape to protect the coax connectors on both antenna and coax itself and Dave the owner of DPD sales on his website.

Good luck on your purchase of your outdoor antenna.

- Jamie

View attachment 171078
OmniX Scanner Base Antenna
I thought I put indoor antenna. My apologies. I already have outdoor antenna infrastructure covered, but can't utilize.

I have all the Ham and GMRS equipment covered. Just looking for indoor antenna options ON the radio.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I thought I put indoor antenna. My apologies. I already have outdoor antenna infrastructure covered, but can't utilize.

I have all the Ham and GMRS equipment covered. Just looking for indoor antenna options ON the radio.

It's no problem no need to apology.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation

Comet SMA-W100RX​

It is tried and tested as you have said, I haven't been to Navajo territory and use it in the mountainous north country extensively and it really pulls it in, even though you're technically supposed to push it in for the 700-900 range I found it picks up better left extended most of the time. If there's any signal to be had out there it'll get it. It's been my goto for weak signal monitoring on the 436HP since 2014.

Comet SMA-W100RX2 Receiver Scanner Antenna 25-1300 MHz SMA Male

dmfalk

Comet SMA-W100RX​

It is tried and tested as you have said, I haven't been to Navajo territory and use it in the mountainous north country extensively and it really pulls it in, even though you're technically supposed to push it in for the 700-900 range I found it picks up better left extended most of the time. If there's any signal to be had out there it'll get it. It's been my goto for weak signal monitoring on the 436HP since 2014.

Comet SMA-W100RX2 Receiver Scanner Antenna 25-1300 MHz SMA Male
It's what I use! And it's double-jointed, so it folds easily on the '100, making it easy to store with the antenna still attached.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
It's what I use! And it's double-jointed, so it folds easily on the '100, making it easy to store with the antenna still attached.
True, I replaced the similar but shorter stock antenna on my IC-R20 with the BNC version of the 100rx because of that.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It might be a costly setup, but I wonder if another scanner that can "reach" the antenna may be a solution. Doing something with ProScan remote broadcasting to a smartphone would complete the configuration.

dmfalk

True, I replaced the similar but shorter stock antenna on my IC-R20 with the BNC version of the 100rx because of that.
That, and its performance at most frequencies makes it one of the better alternatives out there, compared to stock antennas.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
This is kind of outside the box, but you might want to consider a bluetooth transmitter and bluetooth speaker. You won't be able to see the display, but you'll learn to recognize the voices. I have an Amazon bluetooth transmitter and an Anker speaker. They work great!

Another option, although I haven't used this feature yet, is I think that ProScan can do remote monitoring. I don't know how it works, so someone else might have to chime in on that one.

Ubbe

Oh trust me, I know... I wish I had a way I could tap in to it without running coax to the other side of the house, etc. etc. etc. etc.
Maybe you can leave the scanner at the end of the house where you have that coax from the roof, and perhaps even a computer. Then use the free remote software that Proscan have on their webpage and listen and control the scanner from a mobile phone or a tablet. If you don't have WiFi now you can buy a second hand single band 2,4GHz $10 router. If you don't have a computer you can buy a cheap low performing Win7 laptop.

/Ubbe

CTWaters

So I was contemplating upgrading the Remtronix 920S antenna I have on there now with the Remtronix 842S Tri-Band. I do a lot of conversing and jaw japping with the guys at HRO in Phoenix and Bob said without a doubt, no replacement for the 920S. He said they've tried Remtronix, Comets, Lairds, Nguya's, and all of them do better than stock, but the 902S is hands down the one to go with. He said now ultimately, if someone could find the old school, OG Radio Shack 800Mhz after market scanner antenna, there's nothing that beats that one. ;-)