SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 vs Pro-106

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I have programmed, well updated the databases in a few SDS100's for people and they were brand new radios just several weeks ago.
Even though they were newly purchased, the databases in them were from... 2014! Yes before the sds' were available!

How old is your database currently?
Get to the Menu by pressing the lower button on the left side of the radio.
Scroll to Manage Full Database with the knob, press E.
Scroll to Information, press E.

press the left side button a couple times to get back to scanning.
You need to update the database with Sentinel software. This DOES NOT update your favorite lists if you have them.

Last edited:

GregTec86

Premium Subscriber
I have programmed, well updated the databases in a few SD100's for people and they were brand new radios just several weeks ago.
Even though they were newly purchased, the databases in them were from... 2014! Yes before the sds' were available!

You need to update the database with Sentinel software. This DOES NOT update your favorite lists if you have them.
So let me make sure I understood. If you have favorites already and let’s say they made changes to the site. If it’s in your favorites it will not update what’s inside your favorites. Basically meaning you need to update everything and rebuild your favorites?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
All my comments are assuming you havent updated the database in sentinel or the radio and assuming that, most times an area will change quite a bit over several years. I see Troup county in the database hasn't been updated since January 2019 .

Yes more-less on favorites. Some may-may not be the same as when updated.
You can enable to listen to the Full Database option so at least you can see if that will assuming after updating it works.
Be sure while its scanning its not going through the entire states county towers since it will take a long time to get to your area,
set your range low so as to not get so much other areas, but more towards your area of interests. I usually set it zero mile range.

This is a bonus short video.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am going to try your file now but here are the two files you requested.
I see one major difference between the way the 2 scanners are programmed. The SDS100 is scanning all 3 sites in Troup County where the PRO-106 is scanning only the LaGrange site. The SDS100 has no quick keys assigned to the sites. Any site without a quick key will scan anytime the system is active. Although the PRO-106 has the control channel frequencies programmed for all 3 sites, it is scanning only the LaGrange site. With Multi-Site set to Roam, only the site with the best signal will be scanned. Since you are in LaGrange, only the LaGrange site is being scanned. Multi-Site needs to be set to Stationary to scan all 3 sites. On the SDS100, you will miss the beginning of any transmission affiliating with the LaGrange site while you are scanning the Hogansville and West Point sites. My file is set so that you will scan only the LaGrange site unless you enable the quick keys for the Hogansville and West Point sites. I have only department/site quick keys 0 thru 9 enabled in my file. Hogansville and West Point are on quick keys 10 and 11. Since the LaGrange site has no quick key, it will scan all of the time. You will also miss the beginning of a talkgroup on the trunked system while scanning the conventional frequencies and vice-versa. If you turn off system quick key 1 on my file, you will scan only the trunked system.

Last edited:

GregTec86

Premium Subscriber
I see one major difference between the way the 2 scanners are programmed. The SDS100 is scanning all 3 sites in Troup County where the PRO-106 is scanning only the LaGrange site. The SDS100 has no quick keys assigned to the sites. Any site without a quick key will scan anytime the system is active. Although the PRO-106 has the control channel frequencies programmed for all 3 sites, it is scanning only the LaGrange site. With Multi-Site set to Roam, only the site with the best signal will be scanned. Since you are in LaGrange, only the LaGrange site is being scanned. Multi-Site needs to be set to Stationary to scan all 3 sites. On the SDS100, you will miss the beginning of any transmission affiliating with the LaGrange site while you are scanning the Hogansville and West Point sites. My file is set so that you will scan only the LaGrange site unless you enable the quick keys for the Hogansville and West Point sites. I have only department/site quick keys 0 thru 9 enabled in my file. Hogansville and West Point are on quick keys 10 and 11. Since the LaGrange site has no quick key, it will scan all of the time. You will also miss the beginning of a talkgroup on the trunked system while scanning the conventional frequencies and vice-versa. If you turn off system quick key 1 on my file, you will scan only the trunked system.
I’m new to this series of radio. Gonna try your file and report back. Thanks again.

tvengr

Well Known Member
While scanning the favorites list, press the decimal point once and then 1 and then E to turn off the conventional frequency system. That should eliminate most clipping of the beginning of transmissions on the trunked system.

GregTec86

Premium Subscriber
So after all that still missing. Here is proof. Notice the Pro-106 picks up and the SDS100 missed the, “314 go ahead”.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Did some modifications if you'd like to give this one a try.

You can give this a Favorite List number once downloaded into Sentinel. Edit...Edit Favorite List...highlight favorite list in left pane. In right pane, you'll see the FL number drop down option. From there...choose which ever one you'd like. After that's done...File...Save...Write to Scanner (check the box to Erase Favorite Lists in Scanner as you might not be "wiping it clean" before putting these new files in and you're getting multiple Favorite Lists on top of the others with the same name)...unplug, let it load up and see how it goes. You can always made modifications to this programming, but it's a starting point.

Attachments

• Troup.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 5

Ubbe

It looks as when dispatcher or patrol release their PTT it almost immediately drops the signal strength to zero, as it seems to go to other frequencies without any TG delay other than the shortest 1 sec. If you set the TG delay to the default 2sec or probably better 4 or 5 sec, it will stay longer to wait for the response. And as it goes to other frequencies it could be due to the priority being enabled or there are several sites being programmed in scanning that have no signal strength and are out of range.

/Ubbe

tvengr

Well Known Member
So after all that still missing. Here is proof. Notice the Pro-106 picks up and the SDS100 missed the, “314 go ahead”.
Taking a second look at the ARC500 file you attached, none of the trunked systems have any talkgroups. You are scanning only the conventional frequencies in the PRO-106.

Last edited:

GregTec86

Premium Subscriber
It looks as when dispatcher or patrol release their PTT it almost immediately drops the signal strength to zero, as it seems to go to other frequencies without any TG delay other than the shortest 1 sec. If you set the TG delay to the default 2sec or probably better 4 or 5 sec, it will stay longer to wait for the response. And as it goes to other frequencies it could be due to the priority being enabled or there are several sites being programmed in scanning that have no signal strength and are out of range.

/Ubbe
Both scanners were paused/held on same channel.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
My SDS will cycle off of the control channel even on a site hold if it's held on a channel, if you hold the site (Top side button and then SITE on the display) and then let go of the channel hold it should constantly receive the control channel.

Ensnared

Don't give up. It took me a while to learn how to tune up my SDS 100. It runs quicker than my GRE PSR 500 which started stuttering during simulcasts and my 436HP. The SDS 100 is a beast.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
My SDS will cycle off of the control channel even on a site hold if it's held on a channel, if you hold the site (Top side button and then SITE on the display) and then let go of the channel hold it should constantly receive the control channel.
If you're truly only receiving one site, and have good decode, this shouldn't happen. It was referred to as "housekeeping" and was resolved with a few firmwares ago. Connect the scanner, open Sentinel (version 2.03) and Update Firmware.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
I updated my firmware and the DB first thing out of the box and I downloaded sentinel directly. I'm on main 1.21 and sub 1.02.01 and I only got this thing two or three weeks ago. I'll see if I can update again though.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I updated my firmware and the DB first thing out of the box and I downloaded sentinel directly. I'm on main 1.21 and sub 1.02.01 and I only got this thing two or three weeks ago. I'll see if I can update again though.
You should be fine with the firmware...nothing newer than that. If you're truly scanning one site, and it's in range, the signal bars shouldn't be fluctuating. Since you're new to the scanner, might be something like an inadvertent priority turned on, might be scanning more than one site you're not aware of amongst a couple things it could be.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You should be fine with the firmware...nothing newer than that. If you're truly scanning one site, and it's in range, the signal bars shouldn't be fluctuating. Since you're new to the scanner, might be something like an inadvertent priority turned on, might be scanning more than one site you're not aware of amongst a couple things it could be.
It “might” still do housekeeping if holding on a single site. I seem to remember it’s only if a single site is programmed…but I could be wrong.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
My SDS will cycle off of the control channel even on a site hold if it's held on a channel, if you hold the site.

It “might” still do housekeeping if holding on a single site. I seem to remember it’s only if a single site is programmed…but I could be wrong.
I think, or he describes a Site Hold and in that scenario it shouldn't.