SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 vs Pro-106

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Manage favorites, edit system, edit site, set avoid to temp. Confirmed by watching screen not change between them while held on a channel.
I'm looking at the system now. You're within Troup County/ Lagrange Site? What Departments are you trying to listen to? Did you self program or append or use zip code method?

tvengr

Well Known Member
ARC500 for the Pro-106
I will get them and send them later. Thanks so much!
I could also take a video of them side by side if needed so you can see and hear.
I use ARC500 for my PRO-197. Did you just update your profile? I could have sworn that it said Villa Rica GA which is in Carroll and Douglas Counties.

GregTec86

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at the system now. You're within Troup County/ Lagrange Site? What Departments are you trying to listen to? Did you self program or append or use zip code method?
I listen to all channels. I can lock in on Lagrange PD and have issues. I used zip method.

GregTec86

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you are scanning the full database and you are likely missing your local traffic due to scanning such a wide area. It is far better to create a favorites list for just your local area.
Not using full database. Have set up as fav.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Not using full database. Have set up as fav.

Like someone above mentioned - try the site hold.
Then, you know for certain you are camped out on only one (verify that it is the the correct) control channel.

Do you have Sentinel?
Make a favorite list from Sentinal directly.
Make sure to update the database first.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Done that.
Like someone above mentioned - try the site hold.
Then, you know for certain you are camped out on only one (verify that it is the the correct) control channel.

Do you have Sentinel?
Make a favorite list from Sentinal directly.
Make sure to update the database first.

You said: "I used zip method."
Again, try making a favorite via Sentinel.
I'm still thinking you have something wrong somewhere.
Eliminate any variables one by one.....

GregTec86

Premium Subscriber
You said: "I used zip method."
Again, try making a favorite via Sentinel.
I'm still thinking you have something wrong somewhere.
Eliminate any variables one by one.....
I guess what I was trying to get across is that it is set-up as a fav with the database turned off.

Are you suggesting I need to only make my favs from Sentinel itself?

I want to make sure everyone knows everything is held on the SDS100 that way it is apples to apples comparison against the Pro-106.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Are you suggesting I need to only make my favs from Sentinel itself?

Yes....
First, it is a heckof a lot easier to build favorite lists via Sentinel (or ProScan).
You can visually see exactly how things are organized and catch any programming mistakes.
(Like accidently miss/mudge up stuff like GPS lat/long and range settings).

I still contend you have something set wrong somewhere.
I may be wrong, but troubleshooting via eliminating any/all variables is how to know....

tvengr

Well Known Member
Did you purchase the DMR upgrade for the SDS100? There are a number of conventional frequencies for the Board of Education, West Georgia Technical College, and West Georgia Medical Center using DMR. The PRO-106 cannot be upgraded to receive DMR.

GregTec86

Premium Subscriber
Did you purchase the DMR upgrade for the SDS100? There are a number of conventional frequencies for the Board of Education, West Georgia Technical College, and West Georgia Medical Center using DMR. The PRO-106 cannot be upgraded to receive DMR.
No. I really only like listening to Law Enforcement.

Georgia State Patrol is programmed but I never hear them say anything.

Ubbe

I tried that. Made no difference.
Look at the data quality by configuring a display field to show Digital Error Count. Then select different filters to get the lowest amount of errors. Also try setting IFX. You have too look at the voice frequencies being used and then push the Channel button, enter the frequency, push Channel again and then you do Fn+7 to toggle IFX on and off. Then push To Scan to get back to monitoring mode. Do that to all voice frequencies in use to see if it lowers the data errors. When adding IFX you might have to test all the filters one more time as IFX will change how the receiver operates.

Also if you have DND priority enabled it will scan your priority channels and at that time it doesn't monitor the system and the frequency you see on the display and it will be a delay until it is back at the system again. You will think that it reacts slow when it is actually spending time doing priority scanning for you in the background.

/Ubbe

GregTec86

Premium Subscriber
Look at the data quality by configuring a display field to show Digital Error Count. Then select different filters to get the lowest amount of errors. Also try setting IFX. You have too look at the voice frequencies being used and then push the Channel button, enter the frequency, push Channel again and then you do Fn+7 to toggle IFX on and off. Then push To Scan to get back to monitoring mode. Do that to all voice frequencies in use to see if it lowers the data errors. When adding IFX you might have to test all the filters one more time as IFX will change how the receiver operates.

Also if you have DND priority enabled it will scan your priority channels and at that time it doesn't monitor the system and the frequency you see on the display and it will be a delay until it is back at the system again. You will think that it reacts slow when it is actually spending time doing priority scanning for you in the background.

/Ubbe
Thanks for that. The IFX I’m still having a hard time understanding.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I listen to all channels. I can lock in on Lagrange PD and have issues. I used zip method.
As it's been mentioned, it appears you're scanning too many sites on the SDS100 which these scanners scan sites as well as talkgroups etc. Self programming sounds like you'll achieve your goal and the SDS100 will be working the way it should. If you're "holding" a talkgroup which is what you're seeing, the sites will scan behind it unless you also perform a Site Hold. You're just missing something, scanner is ok I'm sure.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Give this hpe favorites list file a try. You will be scanning only the LaGrange site. The Hogansville and West Point sites are available by turning on their quick keys. The favorites list has the Troup County trunked system and also includes a system with the conventional frequencies. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Go to the File tab in Sentinel and click on Import from hpe file (Favorites List). Click on New Favorites List and name it Troup Co GA Click on OK. In the Downloads folder, open the extracted file (Troup Co GA.hpe). It will appear as a favorites list in Sentinel. Quick keys as follows:

*. = No Quick Key
FAVORITES LIST QUICK KEY:
0. Troup Co GA
SYSTEM QUICK KEY:
0. Troup Co Trunked
DEPT/SITE QUICK KEYS:
0. Troup Co Pub Services
0. Hogansvl Pub Services
0. LaGrange Pub Services
1. Troup Co Interop
1. Hogansvl Interop
2. Troup Co Emerg Ops
3. Troup Co Fire/EMS
4. Troup Co EMS/Hospital
5. Troup Co Sheriff
5. Troup Co Marshal
6. Troup Co Work Camp
7. Hogansville Police
8. LaGrange Fire
9. LaGrange Police
*. Blank Dept Trunked
*. LaGrange Site
10. Hogansville Site
11. West Point Site
SYSTEM QUICK KEY:
1. Troup Co Conventional
DEPT QUICK KEYS:
0. Troup Co Education
1. Troup Co Fire/EMS
2. Troup Co Sheriff
2. Troup Co Marshal
3. Troup Co Corrections
4. Hogansville
5. LaGrange
6. West Point
7. GA State Patrol
*. Blank Dept Conventional

Attachments

• Troup Co GA Fav.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 16

Ubbe

Thanks for that. The IFX I’m still having a hard time understanding.
It's easier to amplify and process lower frequencies in the scanner, so if you receive a 800MHz frequency it will be mixed down to a lower frequency, either 265MHz or 380MHz. The IFX setting will toggle between these two lower frequencies and each one have its own filter that will make interferences occur at different receive frequencies, that might or might not be possible to attenuate by using different filter settings.

/Ubbe