SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 vs Pro-106

Ubbe

In the videos it looks to me as if the fix to not do housekeeping have been implemented while ID searching, and probably also in ID scanning, but not when on hold on a TG. There are many modes of scanning and searching and Uniden probably forgot to fix the mode when you have set a hold to both a site and a TG.

/Ubbe

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Your signal is solid, but what you're seeing is the Site NAC search. If you programmed the site, the P25 NAC flashing will disappear.

In the videos it looks to me as if the fix to not do housekeeping have been implemented while ID searching, and probably also in ID scanning, but not when on hold on a TG. There are many modes of scanning and searching and Uniden probably forgot to fix the mode when you have set a hold to both a site and a TG.

/Ubbe
I think it's resolved..

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
It seems like it does do housekeeping or something while in NAC search. I don't understand why it would need to cycle and drop CC if it isn't searching any other sites or frequencies, every packet should include the NAC but entering the NAC seems to have fixed the problem.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
It seems like it does do housekeeping or something while in NAC search. I don't understand why it would need to cycle and drop CC if it isn't searching any other sites or frequencies, every packet should include the NAC but entering the NAC seems to have fixed the problem.
The scanner is searching any/all NAC's and if it finds another NAC being transmitted from the site, it will display the unknown/non-programmed talkgroup.

Ubbe

The difference I see between the two videos are that the signal are steady when it is in ID Search and the NAC are still blinking in its NAC search mode. But when in hold mode of the TG it loose the signal intermittent as it does houskeeping or tries to go to other sites.

/Ubbe

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The difference I see between the two videos are that the signal are steady when it is in ID Search and the NAC are still blinking in its NAC search mode. But when in hold mode of the TG it loose the signal intermittent as it does houskeeping or tries to go to other sites.

/Ubbe
What you're seeing is the scanner in Site Hold, it's briefly jumping off the control channel it detects to search any and all NAC's within range. I've performed this task on a few occasions, and see the same results. It's fixed, no issue with the programming, signal strength etc.

Ubbe

What you're seeing is the scanner in Site Hold, it's briefly jumping off the control channel it detects to search any and all NAC's within range. I've performed this task on a few occasions, and see the same results. It's fixed, no issue with the programming, signal strength etc.
No issue with the programming but a bug in the behavior of site hold? Why would it jump off the CC and what frequencies would it search to find other NAC's? There's only one CC on each site, so it goes to another site in the system when it is on site hold? I can't see any kind of logic to that behavior so still a bug.

/Ubbe

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
No issue with the programming but a bug in the behavior of site hold? Why would it jump off the CC and what frequencies would it search to find other NAC's? There's only one CC on each site, so it goes to another site in the system when it is on site hold? I can't see any kind of logic to that behavior so still a bug.

/Ubbe
It's looking for other NAC's on any control channel it finds, no "bug" but something called "searching for any NAC". This is the reason why you utilize the "Use Site NAC" under the "Site NAC Operation" in the Settings menu, which he found and appears to be working as advertised.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
But among which frequencies does it try to find other control channels, how many control channels can it be in a P25 site?

/Ubbe
2,3,4,5...database will show primary and alternate control channels..at least in the USA database, not sure about Sweden, but only 1 will be in use for what you want to listen to. But...if it finds another control channel, it will flash another NAC and the end user will be confused why he/she can't hear a department they want to hear. This is why it's a good idea to self-program from the information in the database, program in the site(s) within your range, use the NAC code, and all is good in the scanner world and happy customers. No need to NAC Search unless the NAC is unknown, so it's a non-issue.

Ubbe

2,3,4,5...database will show primary and alternate control channels.
I'm still confused by the function. If it has detected a valid control channel, why then go out and check all the alternativ control channel frequencies in the same site? I can't see any valid behavior of leaving the active CC when having a hold on the TG but it works fine without leaving the CC when in ID search mode without a hold on the TG.

/Ubbe

GregTec86

Premium Subscriber
Taking a second look at the ARC500 file you attached, none of the trunked systems have any talkgroups. You are scanning only the conventional frequencies in the PRO-106.
So why would that make a difference?

In a digital system shouldn’t I only be scanning trunked?

Maybe I don’t understand the difference between conventional and trunked like I thought.