SDS200 "filter" settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1kez

Unfortunately, trial and error. Try each setting, the one that works best is the one to use (at that location).

Sure. But could someone explain what it actually filters? Audio? Signal? Analog? Digital?

Agree with many that a technical reference guide on the SDS100/200 would be very helpful.

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
RadioReference database often gangs UHF and VHF frequencies under one department. SDS200 filters are assigned by department. I get better results by breaking these departments apart as VHF and UHF and assigning specific filters depending on the nature of the interference. I've not seen an explanation of what "wide" means, but I wonder whether it is designed to span these wider bands. Or, does the filter apply to a specific frequency within the department?

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but it would be nice if there was an option to display the filter that the scanner has selected while in Auto or Wide Auto mode. Since I'm usually mobile and subject to varying conditions while monitoring, I'm having a difficult time selecting the best filter for EDACS systems - it'd be nice to know what the scanner thinks is best.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It would also be nice if the manual even attempted to explain them and how and when to use them!
That requires a rewrite of the manual when the feature is added after the product is released.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
That requires a rewrite of the manual when the feature is added after the product is released.

Not a total rewrite, just an addendum that could even be viewed on-line or downloaded as a .pdf file would be adiquate. That's if the information is even documented somewhere?

Reactions: RRR

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
A more convenient approach would be someone like Mark's Easier-To-Read-Manuals doing a writeup and posting it online as an update to their existing manual. But, being that the SDS and X36 scanners are so similar in operational fundamentals there really hasn't been a specific SDS writeup that I am aware of, most people inquiring being referred to the X36 manuals when asking for SDS owner's manual. Other than the obvious display customization options, and now the filters, there isn't much difference in setting up the scanners to owner specifications between the two models.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Mark would no doubt do something like that but Uniden has to disclose the details first. To my knowledge that's never been done. I do realize Paul's support hasn't been available since the topic of filters came up but I would hope someone else at Uniden would know and understand the technology and have access to the information.

Ubbe

Upman has stated that the detailed information on how the filters work are Uniden proprietary information that will not be disclosed.

/Ubbe

• Haha

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
A more convenient approach would be someone like Mark's Easier-To-Read-Manuals doing a writeup and posting it online as an update to their existing manual. But, being that the SDS and X36 scanners are so similar in operational fundamentals there really hasn't been a specific SDS writeup that I am aware of, most people inquiring being referred to the X36 manuals when asking for SDS owner's manual. Other than the obvious display customization options, and now the filters, there isn't much difference in setting up the scanners to owner specifications between the two models.
I definitely agree with everybody that an addendum to the manual would be in order. At least we have RR to share our findings and to read the update release explaining the filters briefly.

Speaking of the filters themselves I have really mastered them on both the 100 and 200 since the first set came out and I've discovered something.

Normal filter is global for a reason and I find now I'm only using a filter on a system or single Channel when there is an issue like missed Transmissions or clipped transmissions on a system or crappy reception on an analog frequency other than that I'm just leaving it on normal.

I see it more like a troubleshooting tool rather than something that really needs to be done on everything you listen to.

Just an observation, Paul being out sick for so long there really is a lack of Uniden support in the threads on RR.

His frequent input has been missed. I look forward to his eventual return.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Upman has stated that the detailed information on how the filters work are Uniden proprietary information that will not be disclosed.

/Ubbe

I don't expect Uniden to release any design details but certainly some info on how to use them is in order of a reasonable request.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I've been getting some digital interference on a couple of UHF public safety frequencies. The agencies are analog, but occasionally digital "buzz" breaks through. My guess is that filtering is designed to eliminate this, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which filter mode to use.

Since it's intermittent, I guess that I'll have to try the different modes until I stumble upon the right one.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I've been getting some digital interference on a couple of UHF public safety frequencies. The agencies are analog, but occasionally digital "buzz" breaks through. My guess is that filtering is designed to eliminate this, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which filter mode to use.

Since it's intermittent, I guess that I'll have to try the different modes until I stumble upon the right one.

What I use for UHF/VHF 7-900 Wide Normal. I use Wide Invert on a state system (FL SLERS)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

Yep that's what you have to do and it's difficult sometimes because a frequency may not be that active.

Just to note and some people will disagree with this but I never bother with the auto filters because they sample each filter on each object they are applied to and that slows down scanning even slower than it already is.

You can also use function 7 while sitting on hold on that UHF frequency. This is the intermediate frequency exchange that changes the IF and thereby reduces interference. Most of the time it makes no difference LOL

It helps that you have the filter indicator on your display which I'm sure you do and you just fuss with them on the frequencies you're having a problem with and eventually you come to the conclusion one filter is better than the other or no filter is going to help. Some people turn the filter off completely and get an Improvement.

It's different for everybody due to your RF environment.

There is no Rhyme or Reason.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
The place I live in for over 7 years been having problems with IF no matter where I put the antenna at. I can't put one outside cause I'm in a complex. I have tried different filters from auto to normal or wide. I even try IFX on certain Freq on a 800 analog and still cuts audio and transfer to digital or major IF while in Custom Search. After my area got hit by Cat 5 hurricane last year in Oct thinking the IF would go away after I moved back in the same place the IF still there.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I don't think Uniden knows how the filters work, threw some weird code that some fired employee wrote but never left info on, put them into the scanner and is letting us figure it out "group think" style :)

Paul

• Haha

Ubbe

As someone mentioned, It would help if the display could show what filter the scanner selected after evaluating all of them in auto mode. It would also help if it stored the filter from auto to the department and then only used the stored filter setting and didn't use auto any more for that department, until you go into a menu and "release" it to do auto evaluation again. Much like avoids or IFX that can be reviewed and edited in a table.

The filters where an afterthought and a quick fix that have been expanded on and permament and not really been though thru how to best implement it. The guy on Facebook who made a sprectrum display program that use the data from the undocumented USB connector tried to sweep the whole frequency band while using different filters and they seem to do what their names implies.

To use a filter correctly you'll have to know where the interference comes from that compromise the reception. Something that almost no one have a clue of. So it wouldn't help even if the exact workings of the filters where known. Best approach for now, when you suspect that a frequency are interfered, indicated by a high signal strenght but still bad reception with a high noise level or a weak signal when other scanners have strong signals, are to try each filter setting and also IFX to see if the problem can be solved. Sometimes it is unsolvable as it could take several filters to be used at the same time and also the SDS receiver isn't as robust as conventional scanner receivers and are more easily interfered. Upman once stated that if you have no simulcast issues then their 436/536 scanners are probably doing a better job, but that was suggested before the multi selectable filters where introduced.

/Ubbe

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I wasn't aware that there was a "filter" setting on the display. I have some empty spaces and will add that. I'll play with IFX, although it doesn't look like there is a way to set that permanently per frequency, which will be a PITA.

The filters also seem to be only settable per system, not frequency. Which someone speculated might be a limitation of the hardware.

Playing around with the filters is the apparent, but someone frustrating, answer.

Yep that's what you have to do and it's difficult sometimes because a frequency may not be that active.

Just to note and some people will disagree with this but I never bother with the auto filters because they sample each filter on each object they are applied to and that slows down scanning even slower than it already is.

You can also use function 7 while sitting on hold on that UHF frequency. This is the intermediate frequency exchange that changes the IF and thereby reduces interference. Most of the time it makes no difference LOL

It helps that you have the filter indicator on your display which I'm sure you do and you just fuss with them on the frequencies you're having a problem with and eventually you come to the conclusion one filter is better than the other or no filter is going to help. Some people turn the filter off completely and get an Improvement.

It's different for everybody due to your RF environment.

There is no Rhyme or Reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.