• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Search & Rescue Group Adopts GMRS/FRS Channel 3

Henrytm

Looking at this from an Australians point of view, this FRS/GMRS thing is a mess.
Our CB radio standard is soo much better. A government designated emergency channel that is widely known.
in some cities there are even automated transmissions on said emergency channel to remind people that it is reserved for emergency use only.
There is even a $1,110,000 fine in the event of intentional misuse

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looking at this from an Australians point of view, this FRS/GMRS thing is a mess.
Our CB radio standard is soo much better. A government designated emergency channel that is widely known.
in some cities there are even automated transmissions on said emergency channel to remind people that it is reserved for emergency use only.
There is even a $1,110,000 fine in the event of intentional misuse

Your view from outside is not surprising.
FCC messed this all up when they combined FRS and GMRS. They had some pressure from the outside, but taking two different radio services and making such a mess out of them by trying to combine them was classic FCC screw up.

GMRS on its own was a good thing
FRS on its own was a good thing.

Sharing frequencies between the two was stupid.
"Dual certification" radios, and combining a licensed radio service with a license by rule radio service almost destroyed it.
Trying to "fix" it was a total cluster, but based on the mess they originally made it was kind of their only option.

Australia's UHF CB was well through out and made sense. USA is only now getting caught up on the purpose built GMRS mobile radios that makes the service useable.

Not to continually slam the FCC, their problem is that they take something that's pretty good and let outside commercial interests mess it up for the chance to make a quick buck. FCC doesn't always protect the public resource that is the electromagnetic spectrum for the benefit of the citizens. FCC is -exceedingly- good at letting large corporations do whatever they want to make a quick buck and screwing the public in the process.
Unfortunately the cats are out of the bag and they just attacked the ducks that were all in a row.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
"Unfortunately the cats are out of the bag and they just attacked the ducks that were all in a row." :)

Ok , that is a great mixed metaphor, well done ! ! :)

Thanks
Joel

In my collection of electronic things-historic is a throw back to the early survival radios.

My grandfather, a retired Air Force colonel, once flew in B36's as the "Observer" (bombardier) during the Korean War with his finger on a 20 mega tonne "device."**
Among the survival equipment they carried were these cute little ("worthless"--my grandfather) --transceivers, -- the URC-4's

URC405s.jpg

And I have one ---

My father was a MARS member back in the days of bountiful government surplus. Every week it seemed he was bring home treasures from the MARS warehouses.......... and among them was a huge box full of URC-4's . He and his MARS buddies had a blast recrystal-ling them up for 2 metre's, and canabaliz-ing them in general -until only one lone unmolested radio remained.
I took that one.

And today it is still neat- an AM two frequency transceiver for 121.5 and 243 MHz's. It was power'd by an external battery pack (mine is long gone) -- "B" and "A" batteries--- tho I have powered it with an alternate supply---- and it does work remarkably well.

"If we had to depend on those to be found" my grandfather once said, "we knew we were in real trouble"

--------------------------

Anyway, I throw this out in contrast to the really niffy inReach Garmin system.
A friend has one and I am definitely impressed.

images.jpg

Lauri

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

**SAC would do this- a constant steam of B36's always flying up to Soviet air space, getting pick'r up on Soviet radar-- then, so much as give them a wink --they'd turn around and fly home . All this just to remind Ivan to stay out of Korea---- or else ...... o_O !

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I worked with a guy once that said:

"We don't want to open that can of worms that is around our neck."

Everyone knew what he meant.
In the Air Force the "Tongue and Quill" (the official air force writing guide), says that metaphores belong in writing like feathers on a snake.

:)

Thanks
Joel

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
In my collection of electronic things-historic is a throw back to the early survival radios.

My grandfather, a retired Air Force colonel, once flew in B36's as the "Observer" (bombardier) during the Korean War with his finger on a 20 mega tonne "device."**
Among the survival equipment they carried were these cute little ("worthless"--my grandfather) --transceivers, -- the URC-4's

View attachment 141644

And I have one ---

My father was a MARS member back in the days of bountiful government surplus. Every week it seemed he was bring home treasures from the MARS warehouses.......... and among them was a huge box full of URC-4's . He and his MARS buddies had a blast recrystal-ling them up for 2 metre's, and canabaliz-ing them in general -until only one lone unmolested radio remained.
I took that one.

And today it is still neat- an AM two frequency transceiver for 121.5 and 243 MHz's. It was power'd by an external battery pack (mine is long gone) -- "B" and "A" batteries--- tho I have powered it with an alternate supply---- and it does work remarkably well.

"If we had to depend on those to be found" my grandfather once said, "we knew we were in real trouble"

--------------------------

Anyway, I throw this out in contrast to the really niffy inReach Garmin system.
A friend has one and I am definitely impressed.

View attachment 141652

Lauri

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

**SAC would do this- a constant steam of B36's always flying up to Soviet air space, getting pick'r up on Soviet radar-- then, so much as give them a wink --they'd turn around and fly home . All this just to remind Ivan to stay out of Korea---- or else ...... o_O !
I like those though ...

Thanks
Joel

JeremyG760

Premium Subscriber
Audiovox had that feature in some bubble pack models, roughly 2001. I think the model series was 1500. The early one had 2W PEP and SMA removable antennae, the later ones were lower power and fixed antennae.
I actually have one of those here... GMRS-1535 (Found it in a box that's been in storage for years... the 4 AAAs in it had a best by date of 2010...)
IMG_3722.jpgIMG_3723.jpg