Security company scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

FsmLps

we have 2 mobile units that rove from St. louis city to pike county Missouri trying to find the best scanner for the money on a budget that we can use to monitor activity while in areas and listen for responding officers for backup. any help would be appreciated thanks

wtp

as an ex-security supervisor, don't, just don't.
years ago one of our armed supervisors arrived at one of our accounts where a local PD unit was looking for a mugger and was greeted by the officer pulling his gun on him. our guy was not recognized so the weapon was leveled at him
so just don't.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
as an ex-security supervisor, don't, just don't.
years ago one of our armed supervisors arrived at one of our accounts where a local PD unit was looking for a mugger and was greeted by the officer pulling his gun on him. our guy was not recognized so the weapon was leveled at him
so just don't.
Was he not tactical looking enough with badges, patches, and patrol looking car

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
As buddrousa mentioned:

Do not show up at law enforcement calls/fire calls/EMS calls unless you are specifically requested or your firm is under contract with the property owner or company and an incident has occurred. LE often has no idea who belongs there.

You are free to listen to the calls otherwise.

njt462

Allow me to clarify what my co worker is asking. The scanner is for two things.

1. To avoid tie ups in traffic we know most people can not drive on 70 in the city or north 270 at night. So it's nice to have a heads up of shutdowns or cluster fs.

2. As mobile provider yes we are legally responsible for responding to our clients location when an alarm call comes in. If glass is broke or someone is in there, then yes a security officer has the power to arrest someone on the client's property. Scanner again comes in handy to gage how long till police come to walk building with us and or take the person we arrested on client property to jail.

3. It is not used for responding to their calls or show up we do not run a Jeremy DeWitt operation. Lol

So would a run of the mill p25 phase 2 scanner be able to hear st Louis city county and st Charles county?

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
St Louis and surrounding law enforcement is encrypted so a scanner is useless

Last edited:

njt462

Thank you canunjerry for answering our question. We were afraid that was what they did.

Buddrousa. How mobile alarm security has worked for years in the area is alarm companies call the security company with the contract to go see if it's a real alarm. If it's false like 99 percent of time the SO clears it and moves on. Security companies are much cheaper and less resources used on false alarms than police.

If it is real the SO calls PD and of course via the call they would know we are there.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have been a Tn Licensed Burg Fire CCTV Access Control Installer for 37 Years. A Government Employee for 38 years I know how the law in my state works.
The service you talk about is not offered in our area. It is called Alarm Runners.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have been a Tn Licensed Burg Fire CCTV Access Control Installer for 37 Years. A Government Employee for 38 years I know how the law in my state works.
The service you talk about is not offered in our area. It is called Alarm Runners.
Not used in our city, either. (About 200K population)

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
In our state to be a rent a cop you have to do all the same as a real police officer except the physical agility part and the only people hiring those are armed guards. So the people going through all the requirements go on to get Fulltime LEO jobs. I am not aware of any Alarm Runners the last thing LEO's in our area want are people running around with flashing yellow lights running people off the road.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's only been a couple of days but has anyone noticed that the OP hasn't commented or tried to justify his idea? Of course, that's not to say he hasn't been reading.

njt462

The OP has been working long shifts. Yes each state is different. Missouri has alarm response security in St. Louis due to things all over the news with the Government issue down there.

Massive cop shortage, numerous cops just quiting no notice or not even showing up to work, and a PA who does nothing.

So many clients contract out security companies in that metro area to handle the false alarms or do the best in a real alarm call.

Average response time for active gun battle is 40 to 62 minutes due to their shortages. It's sad but a sign of the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.