Sentinel Software freq database

Status
Not open for further replies.

MourningRain

Premium Subscriber
So.. I've played with my new BCD436HP scanner for about, maybe, a half hour so far.

I'm coming from a Radio Shack pro-34 scanner, so you'll probably see me here asking questions over the next few weeks+ :)

I installed the Sentinel software and plugged in my scanner with the mini-usb cable included in the box with the scanner. I updated the firmware and the usa/canada databases.

Two questions here...

1. I bought the "Uniden USB-1 Scanner Radio PC Interface Cable" for about $30, If a standard mini-usb cable works.. Is this something I can return? Pretty expensive short usb cable

2. By buying the BCD436HP scanner, I essentially have a premium subscription to the RR database? Since, with the sentinel software, it will always download updates to the database from here to my scanner?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Can't answer #1, check with the seller.

#2 - that's the theory. Uniden and RR have a "business relationship" where Uniden accesses the RR database weekly for updates. Users can then access the Uniden database to retrieve these updates. The cost of that Uniden/RR "relationship" is factored in the scanner price.

MourningRain

Premium Subscriber
not really can I, but more like "should I"

Can't answer #1, check with the seller.

#2 - that's the theory. Uniden and RR have a "business relationship" where Uniden accesses the RR database weekly for updates. Users can then access the Uniden database to retrieve these updates. The cost of that Uniden/RR "relationship" is factored in the scanner price.

For #1, I know I 'can' return it (to Amazon in this case), but I am wondering is the cable, which I guess apparently has a chip in it to emulate a com-port? is needed for some app besides sentinel?

Thanks for the reply :)

#2 is a good deal!

MourningRain

Premium Subscriber
Answering my own question

Apparently the special cable is only needed for *XT and some other models.

part# BWZG1666001 is the suggested cable for the bcd436hp, which seems to me to simply be an expensive regular mini usb cable with the addition of a ferrite core on the end.

Guess I'll send it my usb-1 cable back

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There was a period of time, back in the x996 scanner days, the programming cable supplied by Uniden had the RS232/DB9 end. Unfortunately few people still had computers with serial ports to connect that RS232/DB9 plug into their computers.

So some creativity went to work and Uniden devised that USB-1 cable. It has a chipset in it which makes a USB Port act like a serial port.

From Home Patrol 1 on, Uniden used a different programming cable, one that is USB friendly. I'm sure that USB friendly cable came with your scanner. Unless you have a "pre-Home Patrol" scanner, that USB-1 cable won't do much for you.

danzan77

Anyone know if theres something better than sentinel software that works with bcd536 and bcd436. I can't figure out how to remove mi Ontario etc. Basically just ohio until I go somewhere out of state. It wont let me delete or move anything. I like the concept of win500 for whistled scanners.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Are you scanning the full database? If so, try reducing your Range value.

If you are using a Favorites List, just edit the Favorites List, click the cell with the name of the system you want to remove to highlight it, then click the red X to delete.

ARC/Butel has software for the Sentinel and I believe Proscan will also work. However, I can't see them being any easier than Sentinel to remove a System (or parts of a System) from a Favorites List.

Status
Not open for further replies.