BCT15X: Serial port hook up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron_tn

I am new to scanning and and know nothing about programing. I have been looking at the BCT15X I'm on a fixed income and would like to get me a new toy and the price seems right . I've done some reading and joined radio reference. I'd like to try it out but I read where you need a serial port to hook in your PC. I don't have a spare serial port on my PC Is that a problem ?

thanks in advance

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
First, the 15x is not a digital trunking scanner. I would do some homework first, and see what is in your area. Use our database and wiki; go to our Tennessee forum and ask questions about whether that scanner might be good for your area

The database entry for your county is here. Go to the bottom of this page, and you will see that you have a number of trunked systems the 15x won't handle. Of particular concern would be the new Phase 2 Tenn. Advanced Communications Network. You also have a number of NXDN frequencies that, as yet, Unidens can't handle.

Second, the fact that you have no spare serial ports isn't an issue, if you have USB available on your PC. There are many USB-serial converters out there that can do the job. This does depend, to a certain extent, on what scanner you choose.

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.