BCD436HP/BCD536HP: SETUP FOR SENTINEL - Windows installer, Firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTB71

Premium Subscriber
Ok guys, i have a question. Im trying to update my BCD436HP-
Part of the instructions show to click on the start menu while the scanner is attached to the computer, when it pulls up the scanner in the drive menu it says to right click and click setup. When i do this, it attempts to "setup" and then i get an error saying that there is not enough space.
So I bought a new 16GB sim card and tried again and got the same error. Im doing all this so that i can install the windows installer. and upgrade the firmware. I purchased the DL key from uniden to update the firmware on the scanner but i cannot do so because when i go to the scanner settings as shown in the instructions, it tell me to select update firmware and will ask for the key. On my scanner when i go to settings i do not have the option to update the firmware. Im hoping that installing the windows installer as described above will allow me to do this..
Also in Sentinel when i click on the tab to update firmware- it says "checking Uniden website" and then cancels. Same thing happens when i click "update master HPDP i get the same thing "checking uniden website" and then it cancels with an error.
Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong or what i need to do?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Is your computer "on-line" as in are you not having any internet issues? You might try a computer re-boot.

I don't know of any operations in Sentinel that require you to click anything like a start menu or setup button. Sentinel, once downloaded and installed runs like any othe program on your computer.

marksmith

Agree. Know of nothing where Uniden says use the start menu.

You don't say what the error is when you try a firmware or database update, but my guess is that is a timeout error because it can't connect to the Uniden website because of either your firewall or some other Internet connection problem.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

CTB71

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it times out. And no, im not having internet issues. I have checked my firewall and made sure that Both uniden and sentinel were allowed..
What about not having the option to upgrade firmware within my scanner settings. I have the upgrade key from Uniden, but i have no option in my settings menu to enter the key to allow the upgrade thru Sentinel as shown here;

Applying the Upgrade
Download and install the latest version of Sentinel from Sentinel V1.07(05).
Use Sentinel to upgrade the scanner's firmware and database.
On the scanner, press MENU.
Select Settings --> Upgrades, then press E.
Scroll to DMR/MotoTRBO Upgrade, then press E.
Using the scroll knob to select each digit and the 4 and 6 keys to move left and right, enter each digit in the unlock key (including the hyphens between digit groups). Then, press E.

CTB71

Premium Subscriber
I am assuming that upgrading the firmware thru Sentinel will give me this option to upgrade within the scanner settings and allow me to enter the upgrade key. Is this correct?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am assuming that upgrading the firmware thru Sentinel will give me this option to upgrade within the scanner settings and allow me to enter the upgrade key. Is this correct?
CTB71,

Just to be clear, you were able to get Sentinel to install on your pc? What version are you showing? (Click on "Help" than select 'About' from the drop-down menu to see the installed version number.) The current version is 1.07, revision 5.

Have you been able to update the main database for Sentinel? With no errors there? If it is timing out trying to do that, then it is a connectivity issue. Who is your internet provider? There are a few that block requests to access an ftp:/ address. Hughes Net (satellite based provider) is one that does that. I've also seen comments that some of the modems provided by Comcast block access as well.

If you have the correct version of Sentinel installed, and if you are able to update the master database, then 'upgrade firmware' would be an option that should work.

Note that you could manually update the firmware. See this post for a link. However, you still need to address any problems that linger with Sentinel, whether for updating the firmware, or updating the master database.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Upgrades are done through the radio manually not sentinel.
I think the OP is using the term upgrade to mean updating the firmware, so that then the DMR Upgrade key can be applied. Sounds like the firmware is not at the correct version to allow the key to be entered.

mancow

Database Admin
I think the OP is using the term upgrade to mean updating the firmware, so that then the DMR Upgrade key can be applied. Sounds like the firmware is not at the correct version to allow the key to be entered.

I see.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
First thing is to download and install Sentinel for your scanner.

Once you have sentinel installed, run it.

Connect your scanner to the computer, and press E/Yes to select mass storage mode instead of Serial Mode. Your computer should assign the scanner a drive letter.

In the Sentinel menu, select Update Firmware. Select the drive letter for your scanner in the dialog that pops up. This will verify whether your scanner has the most recent firmware, and if not, Sentinel will download it. If you download a new firmware, you'll need to reboot the scanner to install it. Follow on-screen instructions.

Once the scanner firmware is updated, you can go into the scanner menu and enter the upgrade key(s) you've purchased.

CTB71

Premium Subscriber
CTB71,

Just to be clear, you were able to get Sentinel to install on your pc? What version are you showing? (Click on "Help" than select 'About' from the drop-down menu to see the installed version number.) The current version is 1.07, revision 5.

Have you been able to update the main database for Sentinel? With no errors there? If it is timing out trying to do that, then it is a connectivity issue. Who is your internet provider? There are a few that block requests to access an ftp:/ address. Hughes Net (satellite based provider) is one that does that. I've also seen comments that some of the modems provided by Comcast block access as well.

If you have the correct version of Sentinel installed, and if you are able to update the master database, then 'upgrade firmware' would be an option that should work.

Note that you could manually update the firmware. See this post for a link. However, you still need to address any problems that linger with Sentinel, whether for updating the firmware, or updating the master database.
YES, I have hughesnet satellite internet.. maybe this is the problem.. Any suggestions on how to correct it? However I am running the correct version of sentinel. it did let me dl and install that previously.

marksmith

All of those instructions assume that you can connect to Uniden via the Internet, otherwise, you will not be able to update firmware (or database) even though you can connect to the radio.

Mark

marksmith

YES, I have hughesnet satellite internet.. maybe this is the problem.. Any suggestions on how to correct it? However I am running the correct version of sentinel. it did let me dl and install that previously.
You need to find another way to connect to the internet. Go to a friend's house, or library or something.

Until you connect to Uniden, you won't be able to get the firmware in to enter the upgrade key. Better update database while you are there too.

Mark

CTB71

Premium Subscriber
And this Firmware update once installed into my scanner is what gives me the option in my scanners settings, to enter the upgrade key from Uniden? Is this correct?

phask

Premium Subscriber
And this Firmware update once installed into my scanner is what gives me the option in my scanners settings, to enter the upgrade key from Uniden? Is this correct?

Correct - you also will need internet to update the database.

Should at least do it to a new radio and often... or not depending on changes in your area.

Might search RR for Hughes - common issue and there are some solutions that work for some - but don't get your hopes up.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I have heard that turning off "Turbo" on Hughesnet might allow the ftp to go through. I have no idea how to do that, but since you are on Hughesnet, perhaps you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.