Shortwave ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemi

I found a older,i think, shortwave radio at a fleamarket for a buck. It is realistic dx380. I know nothing about shortwave, so is there anything neat out there to listen to?

cellblock776

I don't listen much anymore but one of the guys I works security with sometimes does. He likes to tune to the 75 meter ham band and we pass the night listening to the hams get drunk and cuss at each other. He's been listening in for so long he knows all the groups of hams and where they meet on the dial so he can hear their antics. The more they cuss and cut up the more entertaining it is to him.
Don't forget, there's a section here at RR for HF monitoring. It's at- http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79 .

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And perhaps a better link - particularly since Lindsay has now added a 'Wiki categories' section to the left frame on the main page - is our HF wiki page...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/HF

This will lead you to a great many other articles - take your time and read them completly. HF is totally unlike scanners in almost every respect - the rules, as they say, are different here.

73s Mike

rpowley

hemi said:
I found a older,i think, shortwave radio at a fleamarket for a buck. It is realistic dx380. I know nothing about shortwave, so is there anything neat out there to listen to?
If the Realistic DX 380 is in working condition, you got one heck of a deal. - You should be able to find plenty to listen to.

nexus

Here is a review I found on it. I agree, if its in working condition that's an AWESOME DEAL! I wouldn't expect it to still be there however.

Realistic DX-380 - 2

I've owned a DX-380 for about 9 months now and.... It's a GREAT RADIO! However, I should qualify this. I bought it on sale from Radio Shack for the bargain price of $129.95! It regularly retails for $179.95. At $130.00, this radio is a real steal!
About the size of a large paperback book, the 380 is feature packed!
*DUAL CLOCKS
*ALARM WITH RADIO/BUZZER
*60 MINUTE SLEEP TIMER
*DUAL BANDWIDTHS
*DIRECT FREQ. ENTRY TUNING
*TUNING KNOB
*SLEW TUNING
*TUNES IN 1 OR 5 KHZ STEPS
*CLOCK DISPLAYED SEPARATELY
*BACKSTAND
*STEREO THRU HEADPHONES
*CONTINUOUS SW COVERAGE...NO GAPS!
*AUTO SCAN UP OR DOWN
*ANTENNA ROTATES AND SWIVELS
*CARRYING CASE
The sensitivity of this radio is GREAT! With a reel antenna, it's even better! I read another review that said reception was lousy....I think that individual should check his particular receiver as he might have the rare defective unit. MW reception is also outstanding and with a Slect-A-Tenna is greatly improved! Herein Cleveland, I pick up Chicago, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh during the day WITHOUT the select-a-tenna! With the S-A-T reception gets an added boost! (these are all 50,000 watt stations)
I have found it to be about the perfect travel size. I would like something smaller, like the 606. This size, however is fine. I've carried hardbound books on jets that are larger. The many features makes up for it's slightly larger size over a mini. It does not have SSB, but I really don't miss it.
All in all, A great radio priced at $130.00! I would not have bought it for the price of $179.95. There are other radios in that price range that ive ya more bang for the buck. At $130.00, it's a great deal! If you can get it at that price, snap it up! I am by no means an expert, but I have a DX-380 and can give some of my experiences. First of all, I would pay the extra to get the 390 to get the single side band capability. I miss it. I miss it. Also, the sensitivity for foreign broadcasts (I'm in DC) without an external antenna is poor. You get the BBC and some German broadcast relays from Canada transmitters, some south american stuff, and that's it. BUT with a 50 m Cu wire out my 2nd story window attached to the antenna with an alligator clip, I regularly get Abu Dhabi and Australia at night.

rlb

Another good place is IRC on Starchat...channel #swl those guys are really into shortwave.

Status
Not open for further replies.