Shuttle launch on May 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
Grog said:
I'll be working in Gastonia NC at the time, so I'm 99% sure I won't hear anything but I may park a scanner on it anyway as it can't hurt :cool:

Why not ? iam located in grover next to kings mtn and I pick up the shuttle everytime.last time was hard because of the uhf high power not working.but still heard it.

my scanrec software is locked and loaded!!!!!!!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
tactcom42 said:
Why not ? iam located in grover next to kings mtn and I pick up the shuttle everytime.last time was hard because of the uhf high power not working.but still heard it.

my scanrec software is locked and loaded!!!!!!!

Because I'd be at work with my handheld scanner in the parking lot and I also get electrical interference here at times :D

But, I did hear them :eek: I turned the squelch back all the way and waited in the sun, baking what's left of my brains :lol: But I did hear them, not bad for a HT.

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
rocket booster recovery is on 5711 hf.advise just spotted to 2 nose caps.

JLicklider

I finally got hear NASA TV on 146.9400FM starting about 2 hours before launch. I was still never able to hear anything else on the frequencies from the radioreference database that Win97 programmed into my scanner. I dont know what the problem was. Just a lot of static and low buzzing/humming noise. What does that indicate?
The NASA TV audio came through pretty well but still a lot of background noise.
I know my scanner works well because I get airplanes and towers all the time. And tons of other things.

What do I need to do for better results?

Joey

daneg

swstow said:
try here also

if this is your first launch ENJOY its mind blowing
lived in daytona 20 years and went down for several launches
tv is nothing , being their is incredible

I went last year in August and got into KSC for free, but we missed the shuttle launch by less then a day :-(. I hope to be able to go down there for a launch before the shuttle program ends.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
JLicklider said:
I finally got hear NASA TV on 146.9400FM starting about 2 hours before launch. I was still never able to hear anything else on the frequencies from the radioreference database that Win97 programmed into my scanner. I dont know what the problem was. Just a lot of static and low buzzing/humming noise. What does that indicate?

Move your radio to a spot closer to the transmitter. How far away are you?

nitroboie

JLicklider said:
I'm currently sitting in spaceview park in Titusville and can't pick up anything with my Radio Shack Pro-97. I'm "sitting" on 259.7am and get nothing. I even connected my radio with USB and downloaded the RR database of NASA freqs. What am I doing wrong?

Joey

Same, I programmed all the frequencies from the PDF that people keep posting, and not one of them were operating (except for shuttle comms on 259.7). I was at Kennedy Point Park, probably not far from you.

I was very disappointed, if people aren't going to give the correct frequencies, then they should stop posting the same link to the pdf because those frequencies weren't in use.

After searching for the 4 hours before the launch for the broadcast, I just waited until five minutes before the launch to park on 259.7 (which I knew was correct).

I don't know why they weren't in use, but I saw a few other people with scanners out and they didn't have anything either.

Overall, it was a good viewing experience, but traffic was hell. We didn't get into free flowing traffic until 8pm.

nitroboie

Close call provided nothing for me, all bands. When I searched, I came across a few "open" freqs on amateur bands (420-440), but that's all they were, just open.

so many scanner enthusiasts are getting hooked on computer aided programming and forgetting---if they ever knew to begin with---how to MANUALLY program freqs into the scanners...very sad and very dangerous. what if the computers go down ? what if the program or data is wrong ?

like the old medical joke about the washing machine....when the washing machine breaks down, ya gotta do the wash by hand !

digits....the original digital programming !

good luck all

Barefootdipole

Grog

Banned
barefootdipole said:
so many scanner enthusiasts are getting hooked on computer aided programming

I've not seen anyone say anything about that, you sure you are replying to the correct thread? :lol:

barefootdipole said:
what if the program or data is wrong ?

That seems to be the issue, the frequencies that have been widely published were not having any activity except for 259.7mhz (which I heard all the way in NC)

nitroboie

barefootdipole said:
so many scanner enthusiasts are getting hooked on computer aided programming and forgetting---if they ever knew to begin with---how to MANUALLY program freqs into the scanners...very sad and very dangerous. what if the computers go down ? what if the program or data is wrong ?

like the old medical joke about the washing machine....when the washing machine breaks down, ya gotta do the wash by hand !

digits....the original digital programming !

good luck all

Barefootdipole

As stated by Grog, that's not the issue here. I ALWAYS program my 97 by hand, I don't own the cable nor software for it. (In fact I will have to re-program it again sometime tonight, as it got reset because the power cord was loose last night) The frequencies were not in use, either there was a glitch Saturday or the data was just plain outdated, it was very frustrating. It's not as easy as it sounds to search for frequencies on the spot, especially when comms are very short, it's almost as hard as searching for milAIR.

My rant is that all of the shuttle threads have replies from people who just parrot the link for the PDF without confirming that the frequencies are valid. Hopefully we can all work together on finding the correct updated freqs to add to the database.

JLicklider said:
I was still never able to hear anything else on the frequencies from the radioreference database that Win97 programmed into my scanner. I dont know what the problem was. Just a lot of static and low buzzing/humming noise. What does that indicate?

i know that had to have been really disappointing, sorry for the bad experience....at least you got to SEE it live !! congrats !!!

any chance the buzzing you heard was Digital transmisions ???? the KSC 400 Mhz Trunked freqs are listed here as Digital......and if your scanner isn't Digital capable, you'd just hear the 'buzzing'......

good luck

Barefootdipole

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Good catch barefoot - Pro97 won't work on that system. You must have a digital scanner.

K4KW

Premium Subscriber
I just got back home and boy was it worth the trip. I did the KSC tour and it left me wanting to go back and do the more extensive tours along with the Shuttle Training Experience (STX.)

If I had to guess, there were far more people than normal at the visitors center, due to the launch. This made it difficult to see everything I wanted to see because everyone else had the same desire. Since the payload was largely the Kibo Laboratory, there were thousands of Japanese visitors. I spoke to people from Austria, Germany, Australia, Japan, Belgium and Costa Rica. It was really crowded.

If you plan to get the most out of a visit the space center I would suggest going when there isn't a launch as it might be less crowded. I plan to go back this winter when there is no launch and do the extended tours and the STX.

If you're going for a launch, be prepared to wait in very long lines and not see everything. Traffic is also a nightmare.

As far as the scanning went, it didn't. They don't allow scanners inside any area where you have to pass through a security checkpoint. For some crazy reason it was acceptable for me to take in my VX-5R HT. Go figure. I listened to the 146.940 machine a couple hours prior to launch and got better information than was provided at KSC.

I listened to the scanner in the truck and nothing worked for me either. They must have changed something since everyone had similar problems.

It was a fabulous trip and the launch is breathtaking.

73 de K4KW

...-.-

rdale

Premium Subscriber
K4KW said:
I listened to the scanner in the truck and nothing worked for me either. They must have changed something since everyone had similar problems.

Did you use software to program in the tables or did you do that manually? They can be a pain...

K4KW

Premium Subscriber
I actually used a file that W4NOV provided but verified it against what RR lists as being correct. I double checked everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.