Signal strength bar on SDS scanners?

CHHTX

I searched but couldn't find an explanation of the signal strength bar. When I'm scanning a P25 county, I'll notice that the signal strenth meter (top right of the screen) will flash off/on even without traffic. I only have one frequency site in the Kerr System group that is active (and that's the Boerne site). The other sites I have set to avoid.
1701213667214.png

And when I scan a conventional county, the bar will stay off until it hits traffic.
1701213724094.png

I'm curious if anyone has an explanation, or knows where one is, as to when I should see the signal meter or not. To me, it makes sense that I wouldn't see it at all on a Conventional system until there is a transmission. I also (I think) understand that I wouldn't see it on a P25 but to me, it seems like it wouldn't flash but would stay on continuously. I'll also attach my saved Favorites file from Proscan if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• SDS 111923zipped.zip
    40.5 KB · Views: 1

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
When I'm scanning a P25 county, I'll notice that the signal strenth meter (top right of the screen) will flash off/on even without traffic.
The signal strength bars will flash as long as it has a pick up on a trunked radio system's control channel (DATA). There need not be any voice

CHHTX

The signal strength bars will flash as long as it has a pick up on a control channel (DATA). There need not be any voice

Yes. gotcha. that makes sense. But is it a problem that it's not staying on constantly? I guess I'm wondering/worrying that I might have something improperly programmed and is wasting (scan) time.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You have a GPS connected, so it will update the location information every 2 seconds or so and cause that.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
The signal strength bars will flash as long as it has a pick up on a trunked radio system's control channel (DATA). There need not be any voice
With only one site selected and no CC or priorities the signal bars shouldn't flash.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I've got my 100 & 536HP in front of me right now, no priorities & one site. Bars flash if not a solid 5 bars of signal
Cool. I have my 100 in front of me and the signal bars are solid...solid as a rock.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
From here, the late, great UPMAN states that its ok. sds200 signal bars come and go every couple seconds

edit to add: I just noticed that you're on that thread back in 2019 as well. No worries. I was just making sure my programming/setup was all correct.
Two months after that post they changed the FW so if you are listening to only one site the "housekeeping" won't take place (no signal bars flashing). You are using a GPS so it's performing the housekeeping to do location updates.

1.09.02 Main (04/05/2019)​

This update includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:
  • Modified crackle noise for analog voice
  • Fixed the issue the open squelch backlight does not turn off till hold time expires
  • Changed housekeeping off while scanning one site and detecting its control channel (drop in reception every 2 seconds)

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
No worries. I was just making sure my programming/setup was all correct

You can also add to your display the RSSI value and an RSSI graph. Graph not shown in this pic and I dont have my Proscan with me at the moment.

1701216240561.png