• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Signaling: Group Call Setup Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

pforbes

Am trying to figure out how to setup Group Calling within the RSS for MDC, Astro and Astro 25 (P25). The Help screens aren't helpful and Google has had no luck, either. Am just trying to learn how to do it. I was doing that many years ago with 2 Tone sequential no prob but, MDC and Astro has me mystified.
MDC ID's are in 4 character hex and its groups are 3 characters. Secondary and Variable is over my head. Astro's are decimal. So far so good...

RKG

For an MDC 1200 group call:

Program all members of the group with the same "variable" ID. This will be a three-digit hex number, no digit of which can be "F."

Send an alert or sel call to "Exxx," where xxx is the three digit hex number of the group variable ID.

No acknowledgment will be sent or expected.

pforbes

Currently our SU's are MDC ID'd for our six (6) Conventional channels using the last four decimal digits of the units Trunked ID in the MDC hex ID field. That was for simplicity's sake.

I'm curious if there is any way to create sub-group levels IE: All Call, East (one of four geo areas of the City) and District (a sub unit of East).

Then there's the Astro/P25 analogy to the above that I'd like to learn next.

RKG

. . .
I'm curious if there is any way to create sub-group levels IE: All Call, East (one of four geo areas of the City) and District (a sub unit of East). . . .

The answer is yes, but you have to get a bit clever with the use of wildcards.

In MDC programming, `"F" is not allowed in any digit in an ID because "F" is used as a wildcard.

So let us say you set up your people as follows:

"122" is East;
"222" is West;
"322" is North; and
"422" is South.

You can call any one group by sending to Ex22 for that group (e.g., E122 for all the North people). To do an All Call, send to EF22 and you hit every one.

Another scheme I created once was along these lines:

First Digit: 1 for PD, 2 for FD, and 3 for non-PD or FD resources.
Second digit: 1 for top guy, 2 for duty supervisor, 3 for everyone else.
Third digit: not used (everyone got the same 1).

Now, sending to E1F1 got all PD, E2F1 got all FD, etc.
Sending to EF11 got all chiefs.
Sending to EF21 got all duty supervisors.
Sending to EFF1 got everyone.

The other thing you can do involves console paging programming. Most consoles will permit you to define one page "recipient" with is actually a series of stacked pages (multiple individual pages send in sequence).

The Motorola MDC system has far more capability than most departments employ, but you do have to spend a bit of time learning it and then thinking about how creatively to use it.

pforbes

WOW! In all these years of searching, thank the Lord for the Net. This is from the RSS and was what sent me on the wrong track:

Minimum = 0001 (Hex)
Maximum = DEEE (Hex)
Note: This is a hexadecimal number where F is reserved by the base station system.

The info you provided is exactly what I'm trying to set up. It is the core of our planned Back up Comm System as mandated by NFPA something.
Most appreciated!!

KA5YTH

Can the "E" variable have to be the first digit?

If I have 4-digit MDC codes, would group call "17EE" page all the codes 1700 through 1799, for example?

Status
Not open for further replies.