Signalplus 12dbi Omni-Directional 3.6'ft Antenna 824-960MHZ from Amazon. $89

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

it looks like the antenna isn't quite completely clear over the edge of the roof.
It's probably just a coil and the impedance compensation at the bottom part. But it looks like a metal sheet protection at the end of the roof to protect the wood from rain, and it's in direct contact with it.

/Ubbe

norwichfeeder

Feed Provider
Amazon is flooded with fake reviews. By the way, in that photo in the first post, it looks like the antenna isn't quite completely clear over the edge of the roof. Perhaps you might consider mounting it up at the apex of the roof so the whole antenna is above the surface for better receive. I use an end gable antenna mount on mine with good success.

I have noticed some fake reviews on some products, but on most items I have had nothing but good results with amazon and their reviews.

I can tell when it's real people or not. I have bought tens of thousands of dollars in stuff from amazon without issues. I have also written many reviews myself.

To each his own I guess. That could be a whole another topic..

Yeah, that pic is deceiving.. I got a bunch of different antennas mounted. This one is temporarily mounted off a deck roof. I have a mast pole for it, but haven't mounted it up on it yet. I need get better cable $$$.

Heck, seeing how good it's working now for my situation, I may just leave it right there and buy another one to replace my Tram 1094, which has no business being up there now anyway.

norwichfeeder

Feed Provider
And I wouldn't trust reviews from hobbyists/hams. Nothing against them, but most of them haven't the experience of working with other cables and knowing the difference. Their review are only good if you understand that they may not have any real world experience.
Na, I trust my peer hobbyists, and their opinions. You just can't beat the amazon review system for buying stuff, that's why it's so popular.

norwichfeeder

Feed Provider
It's probably just a coil and the impedance compensation at the bottom part. But it looks like a metal sheet protection at the end of the roof to protect the wood from rain, and it's in direct contact with it.

/Ubbe

You are right that aluminum drip edge is touching it.. I could slip something non-conductive in between I guess.

Doubt there is much loss from a fiberglass antenna touching a small piece of aluminum, but good point! I'm going to fix that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Na, I trust my peer hobbyists, and their opinions. You just can't beat the amazon review system for buying stuff, that's why it's so popular.

It's not the reviews that are the problem. It's the reviewer making a comparison that's the issue. Often times you'll read reviews that have sweeping/generalized statements like "Best xxxx ever!", or "I can now receive radio signals I never could before!". Without having a comparison, the reviews are not that useful. Yes, the cable may work, but when a reviewer doesn't quantify the comparison, it's not as useful as Amazon would like you to think.

Usually when I put a review on Amazon, I back it up with a comparison to a known product/application.

norwichfeeder

Feed Provider
It's not the reviews that are the problem. It's the reviewer making a comparison that's the issue. Often times you'll read reviews that have sweeping/generalized statements like "Best xxxx ever!", or "I can now receive radio signals I never could before!". Without having a comparison, the reviews are not that useful. Yes, the cable may work, but when a reviewer doesn't quantify the comparison, it's not as useful as Amazon would like you to think.

Usually when I put a review on Amazon, I back it up with a comparison to a known product/application.

Yeah for sure.. That is just a giving with anything you buy. Most people don't even leave a review, they just 5star an item.

I personally overly scrutinize all the reviews before I buy something. I read the bad reviews, before the good reviews. I want to know why I shouldn't buy said item.

Sometimes you get reviewers that are just clueless, and sometimes you get an actual good point on why you shouldn't buy that item.

For example, I bought a carpet cleaner a couple weeks ago, and I had to read all the reviews cause I'm not an expert in the subject like Martha Stewart or something lol, but after some reading I feel I got a good purchase.

This is all going off topic now.. Amazon is hands down the best place to buy and research purchases for scanner radios, sdr's, antenna's, cables, and etc for hobbyists.

Status
Not open for further replies.