• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Site Roaming P25 P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVL3000

Premium Subscriber
Ok, this is gonna be an odball question but here we go:

I want to be able to roam between 2 sites on a trunked system (I travel a lot between the 2 coverage areas) EX: listening to TG 1 on Site 1, but I drive out of coverage of Site 1, but into coverage of Site 2, whic simulcasts TG1. How would I go about doing this while also maintaining NAS?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Easy answer. you don't. If the radio had to a)look at the CC and b)also look at adjacent sites you'd miss calls.

Use 2 separate systems and do fingertip roaming.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Set the trunked system for SmartZone. It'll roam on its own. Just make sure you're not setting any site preference in the personalities.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Set the trunked system for SmartZone. It'll roam on its own. Just make sure you're not setting any site preference in the personalities.

Are you sure that works in NAS? I don't think it will check adjacent sites.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Are you sure that works in NAS? I don't think it will check adjacent sites.
Why wouldn't it? The radio is decoding the control channel and all relevant messages when idle. If you leave the coverage area of Site 1, the radio will start looking through the list of control channels programmed in that trunked system, and will eventually find Site 2.

Oh yeah, in addition to setting it to SmartZone, make sure that you program Site 1 and Site 2's control channels into the system's list.

KVL3000

Premium Subscriber
Use 2 separate systems and do fingertip roaming.
I would do that, but the radio does something odd I can't find any info about. whenever you pick that system, it trys to transmit 2 little blips, I have no clue if they are afilliation packets, ut thats also why I always program and test into a dummy load

EDIT: it only does this on some systems, not all, and obviously those dont stay programmed in the radio

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Why wouldn't it? The radio is decoding the control channel and all relevant messages when idle. If you leave the coverage area of Site 1, the radio will start looking through the list of control channels programmed in that trunked system, and will eventually find Site 2.

Oh yeah, in addition to setting it to SmartZone, make sure that you program Site 1 and Site 2's control channels into the system's list.

I'll buy that. Just keep in mind since it's not checking the adjacent channel list it will hold that site until the BER reaches 4%.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I would do that, but the radio does something odd I can't find any info about. whenever you pick that system, it trys to transmit 2 little blips, I have no clue if they are afilliation packets, ut thats also why I always program and test into a dummy load

EDIT: it only does this on some systems, not all, and obviously those dont stay programmed in the radio
Uh yeah, that's no good. If the radio is transmitting, it's trying to register. You really need to figure out exactly what is wrong with your programming and fix is ASAP before you a) cause harmful interference to an operating system and/or b) get your APX turned into a very expensive paperweight.

At no point ever should a properly setup NAS try to register or affiliate.

Last edited:

KVL3000

Premium Subscriber
Uh yeah, that's no good. If the radio is transmitting, it's trying to register. You really need to figure out exactly what is wrong with your programming and fix is ASAP before you a) cause harmful interference to an operating system and/or b) get your APX turned into a very expensive paperweight.

At no point ever should a properly setup NAS try to register or affiliated.
It's strange, I've done NAS dozens of times, and the same way every time. It's just some systems it tries to pull that. All Hail the Dummy Load! Preventer of paperweights and jail

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's strange, I've done NAS dozens of times, and the same way every time. It's just some systems it tries to pull that. All Hail the Dummy Load! Preventer of paperweights and jail
I've seen that happen once with a specific setup, I just don't recall exactly what it was. I believe it had to do with some combination of setting coverage to Disabled (aka SmartNet), and the Site ID being set to something other than what the radio was actually receiving. Even in NAS (sitting on a conventional frequency), the radio attempted to register. I think it was doing so because it was expecting Site 5 but was set to Site 1 in the codeplug. Or vice versa, something like that. I believe setting the coverage back to SmartZone fixed the issue.

KVL3000

Premium Subscriber
I've seen that happen once with a specific setup, I just don't recall exactly what it was. I believe it had to do with some combination of setting coverage to Disabled (aka SmartNet), and the Site ID being set to something other than what the radio was actually receiving. Even in NAS (sitting on a conventional frequency), the radio attempted to register. I think it was doing so because it was expecting Site 5 but was set to Site 1 in the codeplug. Or vice versa, something like that. I believe setting the coverage back to SmartZone fixed the issue.
Will I have a problem if it's not smartzone?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Will I have a problem if it's not smartzone?
Frankly, you already have a problem if your radio "trys to transmit 2 little blips", which is a sure sign of it attempting to register. You need to get that sorted out before you worry about the radio roaming between sites.

KVL3000

Premium Subscriber
Frankly, you already have a problem if your radio "trys to transmit 2 little blips", which is a sure sign of it attempting to register. You need to get that sorted out before you worry about the radio roaming between sites.
I meant will it prevent me from recieving alltogether? The Tx issue is on a system i dont care too much about, so i can live without it

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
Ok, this is gonna be an odball question but here we go:

I want to be able to roam between 2 sites on a trunked system (I travel a lot between the 2 coverage areas) EX: listening to TG 1 on Site 1, but I drive out of coverage of Site 1, but into coverage of Site 2, whic simulcasts TG1. How would I go about doing this while also maintaining NAS?

You need to check WACN-ID roaming and have only ONE trunked system/personality programmed into the radio. This won't work instantly as you will need to drive around to allow the radio to connect to the system.

Again, with WACN-ID roaming that's not necessary. Only program one system/personality and you're good to go.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Again, with WACN-ID roaming that's not necessary. Only program one system/personality and you're good to go.
Setting the coverage to SmartZone requires only a single system to be programmed. The radio will bounce between any sites of the same SysID and WACN as signal strength determines. Nowhere in any of my posts did I suggest or indicate that multiple trunked systems need to be setup in the codeplug; just the opposite, that's the whole point of SmartZone coverage.

Using Inter-WACN roaming only complicates matters, and is intended for roaming between systems of differing WACNs, not a single zone multi-site system.

PS - There is no "WACN-ID" roaming setting in APX CPS, so I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to. I can only assume you're referring to Inter-WACN roaming coverage type.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
Setting the coverage to SmartZone requires only a single system to be programmed. The radio will bounce between any sites of the same SysID and WACN as signal strength determines. Nowhere in any of my posts did I suggest or indicate that multiple trunked systems need to be setup in the codeplug; just the opposite, that's the whole point of SmartZone coverage.
I mis-spoke, I was referring to "Full Spectrum Control Channel Scan" please don't be upset, I wasn't trying to undermine you. We're essentially talking about the same thing, I'm sorry for that.

I'm interested to hear more on this though, my radio has been doing a fantastic job at hearing TG's across different site's (different simulcast footprints) and I only programmed the control channel for the site of where I live.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Full Spectrum Control Channel Scan is horribly inefficient, I do not recommend enabling that option.

Let's clarify that for the purposes of this discussion, we're dealing with a single system of the same SysID and WACN, with a single zone (RFFS), and multiple sites within that same zone. Other configurations like Harris that put adjacent sites into a different RFFS are a whole other topic.

If you set coverage to SmartZone, the radio will be capable of roaming between sites within the same zone (RFFS), either by looking at the list of control channels you've programmed into the system, or by making use of the adjacent site status broadcast messages over the control channel. Since most people know which sites they want to receive, they should make sure those site's control channel frequencies are programmed into the system list. However, even in the absence of those frequencies, as long as the system is broadcasting adjacent site status messages, the radio should be aware of the control channels of adjacent sites.

Note that when in Non-Affiliate Scan mode (NAS), the radio will try to cling to the first control channel it finds in the list that it can decode, and will remain on that site until the bitter end. Only when the signal gets so weak that it can no longer decode that control channel will it move along to another site.

So while perhaps not ideal if you're in an area where you need the radio to jump back and forth between sites fairly often and don't want it dwelling on a weaker site...for the purposes of @KG5PKX's original question, where he completely leaves the coverage of Site 1 and drives into Site 2's coverage area, SmartZone with both site's control channels programmed into the system's list will work for him.

If you want to make sure the radio stays glued to a particular site, then you can muck around with creating multiple SmartNet (coverage = disabled) sites. Or if you want the radio to basically find any control channel that's out there, go ahead and leave Full Spectrum Control Channel Scan enabled, but understand that you're making the radio less efficient in finding sites with that option enabled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.