Status
Not open for further replies.

bryonh

skywarn

Skywarn is storm spotters who have been trained by the national weather service. I assume you have a pro-106. If you look at your local county on the data base it should have a list of skywarn frequencies for your area.You download them to scan list 22 (skywarn) then you can listen to them only by pushing function wx
Hope this helps you. Bryon

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Skywarn is storm spotters who have been trained by the national weather service. I assume you have a pro-106. If you look at your local county on the data base it should have a list of skywarn frequencies for your area.You download them to scan list 22 (skywarn) then you can listen to them only by pushing function wx
Hope this helps you. Bryon

Why would you assume that he has a Pro-106?

Many other RS scanners have a Skywarn button. Read in your manual to find out exactly how it works. Generally you have to program it with your local ham repeater(s). On many scanners it was simply a shortcut to a certain channel.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
The main crux of the question is what is the purpose of Skywarn. I had wondered the same as the only thing I ever hear on their freq is chit-chat.
Thanx bryonh for the explanation.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This is a description from the local Central Carolina Skywarn website but it applies nationwide:

Central Carolina Skywarn

[FONT=&quot]Skywarn[/FONT][FONT=&quot]TM[/FONT][FONT=&quot] is a National Weather Service (NWS) program of trained volunteer severe weather spotters. Skywarn[/FONT][FONT=&quot]TM[/FONT][FONT=&quot] volunteers support their local community and government by providing the NWS with timely and accurate severe weather reports. These reports, when integrated with modern NWS technology, are used to inform communities of the proper actions to take as severe weather threatens. The key focus of the Skywarn[/FONT][FONT=&quot]TM[/FONT][FONT=&quot] program is to save lives and property through the use of the observations and reports of trained volunteers.[/FONT]

Marshall KE4ZNR

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
The main crux of the question is what is the purpose of Skywarn. I had wondered the same as the only thing I ever hear on their freq is chit-chat.
Thanx bryonh for the explanation.

You only heard rag-chew beceause 90% of the time they are open amateur repeaters, and you will only hear weather related traffic during sever weather with skywarn activation. It is not reqired that skywarn spotters are radio hams but most are and the only frequencies assigned for skywarn are in the amateur service.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
You only heard rag-chew beceause 90% of the time they are open amateur repeaters, and you will only hear weather related traffic during sever weather with skywarn activation. It is not reqired that skywarn spotters are radio hams but most are and the only frequencies assigned for skywarn are in the amateur service.
So it sounds like the logical approach is to lock it out until "a weather event" is happening. Thanks for the insight all.

bunkerfan

could someone post a link where i could find skywarn frequencies on the net i am from easter pa maybe they don't have it in my neck of the woods.i can get noaa on my but no skywarn.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
Here is what I found with some primary internet searches:
145.370 - 147.345 + 146.955 - 444.950 +
St. Clair, PA Delano, PA Joliett, PA Delano, PA

SARA, W3SC

Delaware County ,monitors
446.925- 173.8 & 224.220/R
www.delcoskywarn.net

In my area all Skywarn ops. are on two meter, some however are on linked systems that include other bands. Not all NWS offices have an amateur radio based skywarn program, some rely on the unlisted 800' number given to spotters and the online reporting process. The best thing to do is to search the two meter repeater band, approx. 145. to 147.5, and listen to the various repeaters that come up, it will be easy to tell which ones are running Skywarn nets and which ones are just hams ragchewing about the weather.

bunkerfan

Here is what I found with some primary internet searches:
145.370 - 147.345 + 146.955 - 444.950 +
St. Clair, PA Delano, PA Joliett, PA Delano, PA

SARA, W3SC

Delaware County ,monitors
446.925- 173.8 & 224.220/R
www.delcoskywarn.net

In my area all Skywarn ops. are on two meter, some however are on linked systems that include other bands. Not all NWS offices have an amateur radio based skywarn program, some rely on the unlisted 800' number given to spotters and the online reporting process. The best thing to do is to search the two meter repeater band, approx. 145. to 147.5, and listen to the various repeaters that come up, it will be easy to tell which ones are running Skywarn nets and which ones are just hams ragchewing about the weather.

thank you for the help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.