SDS100/SDS200: Slow search speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
What is causing my SDS100 to scan/search so slow? I have looked a prior posts here and elsewhere and tried all suggestions.

Using a Custom Search over the usually quiet 400-420Mhz range, I get about 3 channels a second. Squelch at 4, Antenna on or off. Modulation and Filter settings do not change this.

I have "Reset User Settings". This reboots the radio directly into a search without changing or loading any settings and speed did not improve.
I have swapped the SD card for a new one, also no change.

Thanks in advance for any insights, ideas or cures!

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I Have a SDS100 scanner and have problems from time to time with slow scan speeds, Last couple of day I have been scanning a favorites list of unknown frequencies, there 460 frequencies in the list all sorted from low frequency to high frequency and it was taking between three and four minutes to scan the favorite list. I have the filter shut off and I just went into the scanner and set it to scan the same list today and same setup and now it scans the 460 frequencies in 12 seconds I have all frequencies setup for Digital Code Search, some times the scanner scans fast and other times slow.
Steve

Ubbe

When a SDS100 scans slow it could be due to that internal J401 connector going bad.

Power on the scanner while holding in the Avoid button. Release it when it starts to load you program lists.
In the Menu it should now be a Debug selection. Go there and select to save to SD card.
Let it scan for a couple of minutes then connect a USB cable and fetch the files in the debug folder in the SD Card and zip those and post here. It will show in those files if you have to send your scanner to Uniden to be repaired.

/Ubbe

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I Have a SDS100 scanner and have problems from time to time with slow scan speeds, Last couple of day I have been scanning a favorites list of unknown frequencies, there 460 frequencies in the list all sorted from low frequency to high frequency and it was taking between three and four minutes to scan the favorite list. I have the filter shut off and I just went into the scanner and set it to scan the same list today and same setup and now it scans the 460 frequencies in 12 seconds I have all frequencies setup for Digital Code Search, some times the scanner scans fast and other times slow.
Steve
This is my debug file,

Attachments

• STEVE.zip
    32.9 KB · Views: 54

Ubbe

Nothing wrong with your scanner at this time. It's generally a 43-45ch/s scan rate. Some times it slows down at one frequency but that are the result of receiving some garbage signals like intermod and birdies but happens once of a 100 or 200 channels monitored and are normal.

The log shows the actual scanning rate and it is normal for a SDS100. No evidence of any J401 malfunctions.

Your scanner where working as it should when doing the debug. It is temperature dependent if that J401 are failing so perhaps you need to see when the scanner are actually scanning slow and then engage the debug save. Always power on with that Avoid button so the debug feature will be available if you would need it. It could also be mechanical depend, if you push hard on the scanner between softbuttons and display, or hold one hand around the top part and the other around the bottom half and then twist the whole scanner.

/Ubbe

hightime

If you have 1 frequency DMR Systems programed into the radio, program them as a conventional DMR, and delete the 1 frequency DMRs. The radio should return to normal speeds. Also if the filters are set to Auto, that will also slow things down.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Thanks ubbe for looking at my debug file I also hope this information will be of some help to Mikek Who posted this in the first place.
Steve

Melv7956

If you have 1 frequency DMR Systems programed into the radio, program them as a conventional DMR, and delete the 1 frequency DMRs. The radio should return to normal speeds. Also if the filters are set to Auto, that will also slow things down.
If I do that there is no option in conventional DMR to add talkgroups? This means if I have two users on the same frequency using different talkgroups I have to listen to both users whereas I may only want to monitor one. ie. frequency 456.675 a shopping mall one user on tg 123 is the security (the one I wish to monitor) the other user is the cleaners on tg 124. If set to Conventional dmr I end up hearing both or am I missing something?

hightime

I know and that sucks. But that is the only thing I found that returned my speeds back to normal. From what I read Uniden knows about it and will fix it some time on an update.

ludek-brno

[QUOTE = "hightime, post: 3335926, člen: 111125"]
Vím a to naštve. Ale to je jediná věc, kterou jsem našel, která vrátila mé rychlosti zpět do normálu. Z toho, co jsem četl, Uniden o tom ví a určitě to na chvíli opraví.
[/CITÁT]
Čekáme na tuto opravu fw více než 1 rok

dazza0768

I brought Uniden into the light about the issue of the 1 frequency DMR issue and they stated it will be fixed when the next firmware is out.
If you have a digital trunking system scan between the oft and conventional channels then it resets whatever its brain is doing with the oft and makes the scan speed normal again. If you have oft and conventional scanning next to each other the conventional will be so slow.

Ubbe

After I updated the firmware to 1.10.00, I noticed the problem and I do have American scanner.
Ok, anyhow it seems to be fixed in 1.10.06

I have lots of OFT and analog and even made a special FL with only one OFT and 50 analog channels and the logs show nothing out of the ordinary.

Hightime, can you do a debug log and run for a couple of minutes and post it? I want to see if it is increased amount of interferencies slowing scanning or if it is the firmware code that doesn't send out the frequencies in time to do 45ch/s

/Ubbe

dazza0768

Ok, anyhow it seems to be fixed in 1.10.06

I have lots of OFT and analog and even made a special FL with only one OFT and 50 analog channels and the logs show nothing out of the ordinary.

Hightime, can you do a debug log and run for a couple of minutes and post it? I want to see if it is increased amount of interferencies slowing scanning or if it is the firmware code that doesn't send out the frequencies in time to do 45ch/s

/Ubbe
Could you give a quick explanation on how to do that? I shall do.
Its definitely not interference, not many transmissions around here. Just seems to be the firmware that we have. Whether the issue that some USA versions are having are older firmware idk. I know that all of the USDS models are having that issue here. I'm glad they'll fix it, but it's a matter of many months before that happens.

I have recently purchased a good condition BCD436HP from the USA in the meantime, great machine and simple too. Definitely picks up distant digital sites slightly better than the SDS, but its definitely not better than the SDS. Just a fantastic machine.

Ubbe

You hold down Avoid while powering on your scanner. Release after 5 sec when the display says that it loads you scanning lists.
Now there's a debug option in the Settings menu. Select to save to SD card and it starts to log. Turn the debug off after you think that you had encounter the slow down of scan rate. Connect your USB cable and select mass storage mode and copy the files in the debug folder on the SD card and zip them and post.

That debug log will pretty much show what's happening to the scanner.

/Ubbe

dazza0768

You hold down Avoid while powering on your scanner. Release after 5 sec when the display says that it loads you scanning lists.
Now there's a debug option in the Settings menu. Select to save to SD card and it starts to log. Turn the debug off after you think that you had encounter the slow down of scan rate. Connect your USB cable and select mass storage mode and copy the files in the debug folder on the SD card and zip them and post.

That debug log will pretty much show what's happening to the scanner.

/Ubbe
I have done this. Nothing is showing on the .txt though once complete.

Ubbe

I have done this. Nothing is showing on the .txt though once complete.
But there is a text file there, or several depending if you did any keyboard actions? At least there should be time markings with 11 or 12 increments with each row and the PLL text and the frequency it is scanning. Each timings are 2mS so 22mS-24mS for each channel equals 42-45ch/s scanrate.

If the file is empty you have some serious FW problems, it's not logging as it should.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.