Small Speaker Mod - THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowave15

I picked up a small $7.00 Uniden non amplified speaker to use in the car with an old Pro -164. When I plugged it in the volume was way too low to use in the car. I figured I'd need an amplified speaker. But in the meantime I poked around RR and found a previous post with a fantastic solution.

That thread headline was: "Speaker Mod for external speaker Pro 95/96/106 "

A small piece of wire shorted to the antenna base and the external speaker is plenty loud. Many thanks to the poster.

Dan

wmbio

Wonderful!
FYI..
The full volume mod at the headphone jack mentioned in your post also works great on the Uniden BCD396T/XT scanners. There are a few threads and pix's here at RR.

I have the mod working perfectly on all my Uniden and GRE portable scanners.

Enjoy
Wmbio

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
wmbio, you say you "HAVE" used the wire mod on a Uniden 396XT to raise the volume and it works with no problems in audio destruction.....

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you can find one, the amplified mobile speaker from radio shack works great too.
Sorry I don't have the model number of it handy,but I can dig my speaker out of the box an post it if someone's interested.

n9zas

KC0CSE

Well the MOD just worked for me...used a Motorola speaker and WOW it "boomed" the audio way up!!...had to turn it down....thanks for the info...

PRO 106

W2PMX

The older RS scanners (but evidently not the PSR-800) have a resistor (10 ohms, IIRC) between the bottom of the earphone jack and ground. That wire simply shorts out the resistor, sending full speaker audio to the jack.

The Unidens have a totem pole output. Shorting the "ground" side of the jack to ground shorts the bottom half of the totem pole. Not something I'd want to do to my $400 scanner. Especially since putting a 10 watt amp in a speaker case would cost less than $10.

sjlamb

Uniden provides ample warnings that grounding out the headphone jack can lead to a blown audio amp (and, of course, voids the warranty). Caveat Emptor.:(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.