Somerset County TRS Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
I stand corrected on TG 727 - Raritan is NOT being simulcast off the main system, they are using the P25 site full time!

I just saw the PD6 talkgroup active on both systems just now, so I'm going to say that they are in fact simulcasting. I don't think any of their radios have been flashed for the P25S system yet; they're probably just testing the system via simulcast. Sounds good so far!

I'm hoping they simulcast the Franklin site on this new system... I have such a terrible time hearing them now, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
Another one to add: Caught Z9 calling in service on TG 503 (which, look at that, comes out to 1F7 in hex). So we can add that as the Sheriff Dispatch TG.

Also briefly caught activity on 729, but it was probably just a 1600-car accidentally keying up on their Ops 2 channel, because the next transmission was only seconds later on 727.

Also just caught 105 (HEX 069) on the new system for County Alarms & 103 (HEX 067) for Public Safety... that's 4 for 4 matching TGIDs, so I'm wondering if we should just import the entire TG table from the old one into the new one (or at least import all the commonly used TGs).

(If you want to do decimal-to-decimal conversion from old to new, just divide by 16.)

W2SJW

Database Admin
I just saw the PD6 talkgroup active on both systems just now, so I'm going to say that they are in fact simulcasting. I don't think any of their radios have been flashed for the P25S system yet; they're probably just testing the system via simulcast. Sounds good so far!

I'm hoping they simulcast the Franklin site on this new system... I have such a terrible time hearing them now, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

The reason I wrote what I did last night was I was actively monitoring both system simultaneously, and there were numerous RPD transmissions that did not come over the current type-II system.

I'll be monitoring more myself tonight, and will leave my 396 on Pro96Com all day tomorrow while I'm at work.

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
The reason I wrote what I did last night was I was actively monitoring both system simultaneously, and there were numerous RPD transmissions that did not come over the current type-II system.

I'll be monitoring more myself tonight, and will leave my 396 on Pro96Com all day tomorrow while I'm at work.

I don't doubt you; I was just letting you know what I noted :)

Btw, 2 more to add to the db:
503: Sheriff Dispatch
703: PD Region 1 (former North)

W2SJW

Database Admin
I'll get those in later.

I was even worried that I had something programmed wrong - so much so, that I was rooting through the programming on my HP-1 & APX to make sure I didn't have Raritan's TG programmed wrong on the existing system!

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
I'll get those in later.

I was even worried that I had something programmed wrong - so much so, that I was rooting through the programming on my HP-1 & APX to make sure I didn't have Raritan's TG programmed wrong on the existing system!

Haha. I would have done the same thing, so no worries.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps this may be of interest to users of the Somerset County TRS. Of course this is UN-official, but I deem it as reliable information. First of all if you have the Conventional 476.0125 in a radio as a backup, note it is now useless. It is now being used in the 9600 TRS. Two: Do not expect the County to permit you to have a mixed 3600/9600 Fleet! This is a frequency resource hog. They will move a fleet but avoid having mixed mode fleets (3600/9600) as much as possible. You may see mixed this for testing and simulcast.

The real question is how much better is the GTR signal at the fringes?

W2SJW

Database Admin
OK, my Pro96Com run gleaned some interesting new tidbits:

1. The site is now broadcasting the callsign of WPVM588.
2. 476.0125 has now been added into the mix.
3. Got a good bit of activity on 203 in the log (OEM Dispatch). I was told they were going to be doing testing today.
4. Branchburg's TG showed up (723), Prosecutor Main (403), and numerous bits of activity on PD NORTH (703).
5. Got the first unknown TGID today - 741. That equates to 11856, which is not listed as being on the current system.

johnhartel

greenbrook and watchung

i work for a towing co and we picked up police towing for greenbrook and watchung. i know they are on the somerset county trunked system now. is there a way to set it up where i only get those 2 towns and not the hole county chatter. all i can find on greenbrook is tgid 11440 ,11472,11504 not sure if thats even right and Region 3 - Green Brook, North Plainfield, Watchung, Warren 12912 can somebody help its driving me crazy.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.163 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

All you need to program is PD REGION 3, as Green Brook is the only PD on that talkgroup right now.

Watchung does not use the TRS for normal dispatch ops, they are on a conventional 472 frequency.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Another minor update today - Raritan is back coming out of both systems, and Branchburg is now operating on P25 only. I'm going to listen a little more to see if Raritan is truly back on analog, or just being patched back to the current system...

W2SJW

Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.163 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

OK, you have a 96 - setting the bank to 'closed' is critical to ensuring the scanner just stops on the TG's you put in the list.

You are correct about only putting in the control channels. You can put Watchung's conventional channel in right after the trunk frequencies in the same bank, as the 96 will scan it after it scans the trunk system (it will constantly alternate between the two).

johnhartel

i still can get it to work. when on scan will say north plainfield will come up but don't hear nothing. i hit manual i comes in clear. tried 3 different banks. piscataway trunks fine.have them on bank 0 for years now. that's the one other trunk i got on here. we go on at midnight tonight iand wish i could get a jump on my calls ugh. does anybody follow greenbrook

johnhartel

this is what i got in bank 5
500.3375 prim MOT
501.9125 Somerset co. MOT Search
520.5125 someset co FM/P25 Search
500.8875 Somerset co. MOT Search
501.9125 Somerset co. MOT Search
502.5125 Somerset co. MOT Search
502.5375 Somerset co. MOT Search
502.5625 Somerset co. MOT Search
502.6125 Somerset co. MOT Search
502.6875 Somerset co. MOT Search
502.8375 Somerset co. MOT Search
500.8875 Somerset co. MOT Search
500.3375 Somerset co. MOT Search
15184 NP PD
54736 NP OPS 2
54704 NP OPS 1
12048 WATC PD
12912 greenbrook
11504 GB 2
11472 GB 1
11440 ID# GB

robbinsj2

It sounds like you don't have the trunk system settings programmed properly. The Pro-96 needs software to properly program the three base/offset/step configurations; Win96 by Starrsoft is highly recommended. It used to cost $30 and have a 30-day free trial; the free trial would be all you need to program in the configurations. Everything else you could program in from the keypad.

You'll need a programming cable. The free trial begins when you install Win96 so don't do that until you have the programming cable in hand.

Once you get the configs programmed in, you only need the four control channel frequencies programmed in. All the others will then be a waste and ignored by the scanner. Right now I think you're sort-of scanning them conventionally because the configs aren't properly set, this is why you hear them when you hit MAN.

Jim

W2SJW

Database Admin

Thanks Jim, ya beat me to it!

I was going to say the exact same thing - Somerset has 3 base/offset tables, and it's physically impossible to enter more than 1 through the keypad on that & the 2096.

robbinsj2

Do yourself a favor -- toss the RS software and use Starrsoft's Win96. I've heard some pretty bad things about the software Radio Shack used to distribute. I'm not sure exactly what they distribute these days, but Win96 is widely considered the best value and easy to use.

Download the latest version at PRO-96 Software - Win96 - Data Management Software for the RadioShack PRO-96 and PRO-2096 Digital Trunking Scanners. Again, there's a 30-day full-function free trial during which time you can get Somerset programmed in properly and decide whether other features are worth buying it for $30 for extended use.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.