Speaker stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm currently out of town for the night, brought my 325p2 with me and I'm not getting any audio out of it. Was working fine when I unplugged it at home. Got to the hotel, plugged it in and it's stopping on traffic, but no audio out of the speaker. No key beeps either. I never tried the headphone jack to see if there is still​ audio from that because I don't have headphones with me.

Is it common for speakers just to stop working out of the blue? Scanner is not even a year old.

wtp

try

any 3.5mm plug, it might be the jack.
i have used the end of my shoelace and shoved it in there.
might be a bad contact in the jack.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
any 3.5mm plug, it might be the jack.
i have used the end of my shoelace and shoved it in there.
might be a bad contact in the jack.

So are you saying the scanner could be acting like something is plugged into the headphone jack, disabling the speaker?

Never used the headphone jack in weeks, and it was working fine when I left home a few hours ago.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Anyone have any suggestions of what I can try or do. Scanner is not even a year old. Is there an easy way to tell if the speaker is dead without tearing the scanner apart?

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you bought it new, you have a one year warranty, have Uniden fix it.

chris

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
If you bought it new, you have a one year warranty, have Uniden fix it.

chris

Unfortunately no. Bought it on eBay from a guy who owned it for a few weeks, didn't like it and sold it. The unit itself is less than a year old but I'm not the original owner. I know nothing about uniden's warranty so I do not know if that makes a difference.

wtp

a good cheap fix

since the jack works.
use computer speakers.
my 396T has done this many times, but on the first time i thought of making it a base that way.
but after inserting a plug it worked. it still goes out all by itself once and a while.
quick fix is with a shoelace end.
also the jack is stereo so use a stereo plug.

Nasby

If you have even just the slightest skills with a screwdriver and soldering iron you can replace the speaker yourself and save lots of money.

They sell replacement speakers on Ebay for cheap.

I've done this repair many times and its not difficult.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
If you have even just the slightest skills with a screwdriver and soldering iron you can replace the speaker yourself and save lots of money.

They sell replacement speakers on Ebay for cheap.

I've done this repair many times and its not difficult.

I wonder if it's possible to buy an exact replacement? I tried looking on eBay but I'm not exactly sure what to look for. Here is a picture of the speaker. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B65LId6rh6PlX2tMZWtBR2RQWGc/view?usp=drivesdk

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
From the wiki-
BSPG0590001 Uniden Scanner, Parts, Speaker,

From Uniden, it does say 396t-XT, Always can check by opening up the the scanner to see what SPXXX number is shown on the speaker. Possibly SP453 or SP590 at least those I have seen for the 396's.
Https://www.uniden.com/accessories/id-BSPG0590001/BSPG0590001_Internal_Speaker_For_BCD396T_BCD396XT

I have done this twice, once for mine and it works, but once for another and the new speaker still does not work, probably some driver transistors were blown.
Check speaker-
https://youtu.be/XpdKpnz8h64

Nasby

Changing out the speaker might be an easier and cheaper option before trying to diagnose a faulty transistor.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Changing out the speaker might be an easier and cheaper option before trying to diagnose a faulty transistor.

From what I can tell from the voltage meter, the speaker should be working, although I may be wrong.... If it's a resistor (or something else) that lies further inside the radio, changing the speaker is not going to solve my problem.

I'm open to suggestions. I know quite a bit about scanners but not their inner workings.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The headphone jack is bad. It has a switch that unhooks the speaker when you plug in headphones. That switch is unhooking the speaker all the time instead of just when headphones are plugged in. If the audio amp was bad, headphones would not work.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
The headphone jack is bad. It has a switch that unhooks the speaker when you plug in headphones. That switch is unhooking the speaker all the time instead of just when headphones are plugged in. If the audio amp was bad, headphones would not work.

Yup, that sure is my issue. Had it working for a second but then it went right back out again. Any idea on how to fix It or if it can be fixed?

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
I had that problem with my 396T, I just kept working the earphone plug in and out of the jack until it finally worked. Never again put anything in the jack, worked for a couple years until I sold it. I did tell the buyer about the jack issue.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I had that problem with my 396T, I just kept working the earphone plug in and out of the jack until it finally worked. Never again put anything in the jack, worked for a couple years until I sold it. I did tell the buyer about the jack issue.

I did that this morning and it worked for a little while but went out again on its own. Kept trying to get it working again but it's a no go.

Status
Not open for further replies.