Specific Talk Group Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustosse

Hi guys, first time poster here. I've been getting really into SDRs and radio monitoring in general, recently I finally got everything I need to monitor my local trunked police radio successfully and everything's working great, I even started my own live broadcastify feed! I have one problem though, one of the talk groups shows up in unitrunker when they call, and even shows what looks like a really good signal in the oscilloscope but for some reason that specific talk group is always silent. I'm wondering if it's possible that that talk group has some different encoding but I didn't think that was possible on the same trunked system. Any thoughts on what could be going on? The trunked group is the Augusta Police, part of the Palmetto 800 system; and the talk group that isn't working is the Augusta University Police. I've attached a couple screenshots to show the difference between a talk group that does work and the AU Police one which doesn't. The image with the larger amplitude on the right oscilloscope is the talk group that doesn't work.

Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 216

slicerwizard

for some reason that specific talk group is always silent. I'm wondering if it's possible that that talk group has some different encoding but I didn't think that was possible on the same trunked system. Any thoughts on what could be going on? The trunked group is the Augusta Police, part of the Palmetto 800 system; and the talk group that isn't working is the Augusta University Police.
Don't they use digital voice? I don't see a digital voice decoder (DSD/DSD+) anywhere on your screen.

bustosse

From the information I got on Palmetto 800, some systems do, some systems don't and the Richmond County system doesn't. But also according to radioreference AU doesn't even use traditional police radio anymore, they use Cingular PTT but from what I can infer they have handsets to talk to the county police if they need to. Could it be possible that they (Augusta University) is broadcasting with digital voice on the network even though the other users aren't? I assumed it was either all or nothing; either they all use digital voice or none of them do.

bustosse

Don't they use digital voice? I don't see a digital voice decoder (DSD/DSD+) anywhere on your screen.

From the information I got on Palmetto 800, some systems do, some systems don't and the Richmond County system doesn't. But also according to radioreference AU doesn't even use traditional police radio anymore, they use Cingular PTT but from what I can infer they have handsets to talk to the county police if they need to. Could it be possible that they (Augusta University) is broadcasting with digital voice on the network even though the other users aren't? I assumed it was either all or nothing; either they all use digital voice or none of them do.

EDIT: I didn't mean to post that twice but it won't let me delete it...

Last edited:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, Unitrunker only decodes audio for Analog talkgroups on EDACS, Moto Type II and MPT-1327. For Digital talkgroups you must pipe the Unitrunker Voice Receiver to DSD+ via a virtual audio cable. You definitely have digital talkgroups, due to the "Dig" flag displayed in Unitrunker on the far right column.

bustosse

Yeah, Unitrunker only decodes audio for Analog talkgroups on EDACS, Moto Type II and MPT-1327. For Digital talkgroups you must pipe the Unitrunker Voice Receiver to DSD+ via a virtual audio cable. You definitely have digital talkgroups, due to the "Dig" flag displayed in Unitrunker on the far right column.

Ahh! Thank you! I had no idea what "dig" meant!

Status
Not open for further replies.