WS1095: Squelch

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
i have the ws1080 and just got 1095 I like it BUT i wish the squelch adjustment was like the 1080 a dial. I dont know if im not just used to it. The presets are 1 through 13 and i need an 8 1/2 are all the mobile/ desktop scanners like that besides the 1065 which i just sold.

SCPD

QRT
Just how it is .. no changing it. The reason some scanners (PSR800,WS1080 etc) are like that .. cause that squelch knob is directly connected to the squelch circuit in the radios.

The other scanners .. are not like that, and you can alternate between volume and squelch. But ... you do not want it any other way than it is, cause .. the squelch is a set it and forget it setting, there is no need to change it.

Set it to the minimum squelch and leave it. I have had my 1095 shortly after they came out, and have never touched my squelch.

I have my squelch about 8 if I recall .. and never change it cause the 1095 has a terrible squelch circuit anyways (ie missing weak signals).

Make the knob the volume and just accept it.

AtlasFBG2

in the software under advanced tab change the control knob options default from volume to squelch.

That will make the knob function as the squelch.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Ugh is that how all the scanners are being made now ?

Ugh .. ? You will soon learn to love it as a volume control. :wink:

So to summarize .. the models with removable faceplate all allow you to alternate between squelch and volume. The handheld models, with the knob on the top .. do not.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
The problem I have is that I listen to New Jersey State Police on 800 megahertz they are notorious for a little bit of static now with this new model I set it on 8 and when static happens it cuts them out you were always able to hear them through the static what they were saying now you cannot it totally shuts them off . I might have to return it and get a Uniden which I did not want to do

Ed6698

The problem I have is that I listen to New Jersey State Police on 800 megahertz they are notorious for a little bit of static now with this new model I set it on 8 and when static happens it cuts them out you were always able to hear them through the static what they were saying now you cannot it totally shuts them off . I might have to return it and get a Uniden which I did not want to do

Get a 800mhz antenna. The Radio Shack 800Mhz antenna works great on my 1080 and 1095. Might need to look here if a Radio Shack is not near or they do not have it in stock. Just going to a Uniden might not correct your reception issue.

http://www.scannermaster.com/REMTRONIX_800_MHz_Portable_BNC_Antenna_p/22-541122.htm

Last edited:

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Get a 800mhz antenna. The Radio Shack 800Mhz antenna works great on my 1080 and 1095.

Well the other problem I have is that I listen to the fire department and local police which range from 46 megahertz to 155 megahertz and then the state police which are 800 megahertz so I am in a pickle I need the dial for my scanner like on the 1080 so I could find tune it in

SCPD

QRT
Well the other problem I have is that I listen to the fire department and local police which range from 46 megahertz to 155 megahertz and then the state police which are 800 megahertz so I am in a pickle I need the dial for my scanner like on the 1080 so I could find tune it in

At 868 MHz .. measured the 4 scanners below.

Whistler WS-1080 0.11 uV
Whistler WS-1095 0.31 uV

Btw .. a lower number is better when it comes to sensitivity. This is only a sensitivity guideline .. and I am not going to get into it, but only helping the OP.

Here are some measurements for those 2 scanners .. so as you can see, the 1080 is a bit more sensitive than the 1095. On 800 MHz about 9 dBm .. which is quite a bit, just over 1 s-unit.

As a comparison .. the 2 Uniden scanners on 800 MHz which places them between the 2 above scanners. I agree that switching to a Uniden is not the answer as honestly my 536HP is terrible when it comes to intermod, so it is all about your location.

Uniden BCD436HP 0.20 uV
Uniden BCD536HP 0.15 uV

Last edited:

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
the 1095 has a terrible squelch circuit anyways (ie missing weak signals).

Make the knob the volume and just accept it.

Thats the problem im having! state police will come in strong then fade out a bit when they fade out i lose the audio until it gets strong again . With the 1080 i have the dial and i can set it perfectly to where i dont lose any part of the transmission. On the 1095 when i drop the squelch down one number a statewide frequency comes on and its all static/noise . If i had a setting of 8 1/2 it would solve the problem. Thats why im saying the uniden might solve the problem because it has the dial for the squelch so i can adjust it slightly. Unlike the 1095 with the squelch presets .

SCPD

QRT
Thats the problem im having! state police will come in strong then fade out a bit when they fade out i lose the audio until it gets strong again . With the 1080 i have the dial and i can set it perfectly to where i dont lose any part of the transmission. On the 1095 when i drop the squelch down one number a statewide frequency comes on and its all static/noise . If i had a setting of 8 1/2 it would solve the problem. Thats why im saying the uniden might solve the problem because it has the dial for the squelch so i can adjust it slightly. Unlike the 1095 with the squelch presets .

From what you are describing you are on the fringe of being able to receive what you want to receive.

The squelch circuits in itself are not your problem. You are going at it the in the wrong direction. I have owned both of those Uniden scanners and that is not the answer.

The thing .. the 1080 is the most sensitive of all the 4 scanners on 800 MHz. So I am not 100% surprised at what you are saying.

We are talking a difference of around 1 s-unit (around 6-9 dBm) overall .. and changing scanners is not going to substantially change your results.

You need a better antenna .. not a new scanner, that is a much better route to fix this issue.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
im not doubting you at all im just giving you my info so you can help me out . I had a ws1065 that i sold last week to buy the 1095 and i never had this problem picked up everything fine withe same antenna. Please dont tell me to buy another 1065 lol im already kicking myself in the butt for selling it .

SCPD

QRT
I am waiting for Boatanchor to chime in here re the 1095 squelch circuit.

All the scanners you mentioned are reasonably similar when it comes to sensitivity.
I will not tell you what to buy.

I am interested in what you describe as strong, as I do not see that being the case by your description.

How many bars on your 1080 / 1095 are you seeing when you receive the signals you are wanting to pick up ?

Just an FYI, each bar on these scanners is roughly equivalent to 1 uV. I would suspect that you are getting less than 1 bar on your scanner with your current setup on both scanners.

MichaelBhere

I do not have a 1095 but the 800MHz antenna I have on my TR-1 performs much better than the stock antenna that came with it.

As the 1095 has a telescoping antenna, you might want to adjust the length to see if it will do anything to help with your 800MHz system.

800Mhz wavelength is 14.75" .

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
I am waiting for Boatanchor to chime in here re the 1095 squelch circuit.

All the scanners you mentioned are reasonably similar when it comes to sensitivity.
I will not tell you what to buy.

I am interested in what you describe as strong, as I do not see that being the case by your description.

How many bars on your 1080 / 1095 are you seeing when you receive the signals you are wanting to pick up ?

ill have all the bars then drop down to 3 then back up to full with static . if you listen to them youll hear what their system sounds like . NJ State Police Troop B

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
theses are the bars

Attachments

• 20170204_184714.jpg
    20170204_184714.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 295

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
in order to hear them through the static i have to drop it down to 8 which is too low because when it starts scanning again on 8 the channel SPEN that is a statewide channel for BOLO's will stop and there is no transmission just static one i bring squelch up to 9 spen wont stop but when state police start talking on squelch setting of 9 it will cut them out so a a happy medium would be 8 1/2. The ws1065 never did that and the ws1080 doesnt do it both with same antennas in the same spot but all had a dial for the squelch not the presets. i hope i explained it better and i dont sound like a broken record.

Status
Not open for further replies.