WS1095: Squelch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Blackbull .. in an attempt to help you, please tell me how you programmed the 1095 ?

Where did you get the data from ? Did you get it from your 1080 ??

Secondly .. what antenna are you using ?

edmscan

SCPD

QRT
I do not have a 1095 but the 800MHz antenna I have on my TR-1 performs much better than the stock antenna that came with it.

As the 1095 has a telescoping antenna, you might want to adjust the length to see if it will do anything to help with your 800MHz system.

800Mhz wavelength is 14.75" .

Btw .. you want a 1/4 wave antenna, or 3.47 inches for 850 MHz.

I also see the NJ system is likely a simulcast system .. makes me just :D

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Blackbull .. in an attempt to help you, please tell me how you programmed the 1095 ?

Where did you get the data from ? Did you get it from your 1080 ??

Secondly .. what antenna are you using ?

edmscan

i used the ezscan software that came with the 1095 to program it . and i am using the telescopic antenna that came with the unit .

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Btw .. you want a 1/4 wave antenna, or 3.47 inches for 850 MHz.

I also see the NJ system is likely a simulcast system .. makes me just :D

yes it is Simulcast , why does it make you laugh ? i dont get you on that .

SCPD

QRT
i used the ezscan software that came with the 1095 to program it . and i am using the telescopic antenna that came with the unit .

The programming from the correct software is a good thing.

However .. Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink

Here you go .. Simulcast. You need to read up on simulcast systems. Welcome to the new world of hurt. It explains all your issues.

Btw .. the Uniden (436HP, 536HP) scanners do not have an analog squelch, so they are not like your 1080 if you were thinking about going there.

I would suggest going to the NJ forum .. and speaking to the users there about the NJ system.

You need to learn about simulcast systems.

But likely you will be best to use the 1080 for the NJ State Police and the 1095 for everything else, though I did not look into those as I have no idea where you live.

Maybe a good place to start .. http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/347563-problems-simulcast.html

My work here is done .. the rest is up to you. Have fun.

A tip from another Whistler user,

"On my 1095 I have my squelch set to Min. Both systems I monitor are simulcast. But I am in lucky to be in a good location and do not have issues with simulcast. For some reason the 1095 works great with the squelch set to Min. Don't know why but it just works better that way. If I set it higher the reception starts to break up at times"

Something for you to try .. but when it comes to simulcast it is all about location.

Maybe you need to be selective on what you listen to on each scanner and set them up accordingly.

Last edited:

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
this might be a dumb question but can the squelch button be replaced with a squelch knob like the 1080 i have an Electronics guy who can do it if it can be done .

Ed6698

this might be a dumb question but can the squelch button be replaced with a squelch knob like the 1080 i have an Electronics guy who can do it if it can be done .

You need to forget about that tiny squelch adjustment, that is not the issue. I highly doubt that could be done anyways and it would also void the warranty even if it could be done. Squelch setting is not the problem, you need a different antenna.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
please bear with me as i am trying to understand . I sold my 1065 to buy the 1095 because some towns are switching to dmr. My 1065 never had these issues it worked flawlessly i heard everything with the stock telescopic antenna that came with it . Heard State police with no problems with no cutting audio out . Why is that ?

SCPD

QRT
You need to forget about that tiny squelch adjustment, that is not the issue. I highly doubt that could be done anyways and it would also void the warranty even if it could be done. Squelch setting is not the problem, you need a different antenna.

Agreed .. the squelch is not the issue.

Btw .. measured the squelch in those 2 scanners (1080 and 1095), and at 0 bars .. they were measured at - 123 dBm and -122 dBm, which is like no discernible difference. However .. all things added up, the sensitivity differences between the scanners, the squelch circuits etc .. you are seeing a difference. I get it .. but we are all saying the easiest thing to fix this .. is not the scanner but the antenna.

You may want to look into a yagi .. just saying.

You can read about it here .. but it may be a bit technical.
http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...4327-what-those-scanner-bars-really-mean.html

Last edited:

Ed6698

I have never used the stock telescoping antenna that came with my 1095, its just sits in the box, never to be used. First antenna that went on the scanner is the RS 800mhz antenna. Also have used the stock antenna from the 1080 on the 1095 with some degree of success. However you need a right angle BNC connector to use it or just about any other antenna that connects directly to radio.

Last edited:

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
how will that pick up my fire channels that are on 46.100 and 154.445 probably will be crappy im sure .

Ed6698

Since you have 2 scanners and are trying to listen to entirely different systems it sounds like, you might have to use one scanner for one system, and the other for the other system. The frequency ranges are way to far apart for 1 type of antenna to work more then likely, unless you use one that was mentioned above by edmscan, even then that might not solve it totally.

Ed6698

What scanner does this OP have? In this thread I read he has sold his 1065 and bought a 1095. In another thread I read he has a 1065 and is looking to sell it and buy a Phase II scanner.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Since you have 2 scanners and are trying to listen to entirely different systems it sounds like, you might have to use one scanner for one system, and the other for the other system. The frequency ranges are way to far apart for 1 type of antenna to work more then likely, unless you use one that was mentioned above by edmscan, even then that might not solve it totally.

I use a discone and it works great. But I do not need an antenna with any gain as I already have to use a notch filter on my Uniden scanners to make them work.

If he used a discone outside (with some height and some descent coax he may be ok) however .. I agree that using the 2 scanners programmed appropriately to cater to their strengths may be a very simple answer.

If you look on this forum .. many of us have multiple scanners.
"You see scanner .. you buy scanner".

The OP has a WS-1080 and a WS-1095.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
I had a 1065 sold it last week and brought 1095. I also have a 1080

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
What scanner does this OP have? In this thread I read he has sold his 1065 and bought a 1095. In another thread I read he has a 1065 and is looking to sell it and buy a Phase II scanner.

I sold the 1065 last week

buckbull

Premium Subscriber

But what im trying to say is the 1065 i sold was great! did the job with the collapsible stock antenna. Listened to 46.100 all the way to 800 mhz and everything in between. The only reason why i sold it is because some locals are switching to dmr and NJSP are going to phase 2 eventuality. The big question i have is why did the 1065 work great with the stock antenna and the 1095 isnt. I live on a hill elevation is 1300 ft

MichaelBhere

Did you try adjusting your antenna length to 14.75".

I would also suggest trying the 800mhz antenna and let us know how it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.