SSL Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our computer when we get on two websites it displys SSL error and it says it is something interfering with the connection to it. Could someone help us out on how we can fix it so we can get into our websites. It is Engrade.com and Zoompanel.com we are confused :mad:. I forgot to say it takes place on Google Chrome.

Last edited:

QDP2012

Engrade works here; didn't try the other one. Have you tried clearing your browser's cache, and cookies, and persistent cookies, digital certificates, etc.?

Hope this helps,

QDP2012

Engrade works here; didn't try the other one. Have you tried clearing your browser's cache, and cookies, and persistent cookies, digital certificates, etc.?

Also, have you tried another browser, like Firefox, or IE?

Hope this helps,

Also, have you tried another browser, like Firefox, or IE?

Hope this helps,

Hope this helps,

I tried both of what you said and it still did not work. Do you have any more ideas I could try?

shaft

You are still caching an old certificate since the engrade one was just updated a few days ago. You need to make sure you get those cleared out, close out chrome/FF etc... and restart.

QDP2012

How to delete your digital certificates

What do you mean by FF? I dont know alot about computers.

FF is a common abbreviation for the "Firefox" browser.

Regarding the matter of how to clear/delete old digital certificates in Chrome, I recommend searching the internet for detailed instructions, by searching on a phrase like "google chrome how to clear old digital certificates".

Two top search results were:

Hopefully, this will get you headed in the right direction, so that you can find each old/expired digital certificate and delete it.

I don't have access to Chrome right now. If the above links are not helpful, then hopefully someone else can help give more specific instructions.

Hope this helps,

Yes it helped but it still did seem to work. When I go to manage my certificates it asks to import certificates and it asks for a file name for it. When I put a file name in it says it does not exist. Could someone help me out wih this please.

QDP2012

Yes it helped but it still did seem to work. When I go to manage my certificates it asks to import certificates and it asks for a file name for it. When I put a file name in it says it does not exist. Could someone help me out wih this please.

You might have already noticed and tried this, but in the above link's instructions, in Step 6, you would want to avoid clicking the "Import..." button, and instead try to select/highlight from your list of certificates, the expired one(s), and then click the "Remove" button. (Hopefully, the information in the "Expiration" column will help you determine which certificates have expired.)

Hope this helps,

Blackink

Are you connected to the internet through a router, or directly connected to the modem?

Maybe your router is restricting you from accessing those Web sites for some reason if you are using one.

If you are using a router, remove the router and try a direct connection - PC to the Modem, restart the modem, restart the PC and see if that changes anything.

If the direct connection fixes the problem (by removing the router), Google "allowing a Web site through my router" and read up on what some of the links provide.

Hope this helps.....

ecps92

Is this an AT Home computer or an AT Work computer.

Maybe the System Admin has them blocked at the Firewall

The power strip is not related to your problem.

Have you tried visiting those websites using Internet Explorer instead of Chrome?

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Anthony, my perception is that you haven't tried or answered the good suggestions above. Have you? What happened?

FWIW, if you haven't cleaned up your system, you might do so with something like Pirform's CCleaner. In addition to taking out deleted and trashed files, it has a registry cleaner that removes references to removed files and files left over from program uninstalls. Not going to say that it will fix your the Web site access. For me, CCleaner seems to help keep my computer working well. It is a free download. Read the help file first. If you don't understand what you are about to do in running the program, don't run it and ask a knowledgeable friend to sit down at your computer and have a look.

In any case, restart the computer after doing any cleanup as suggested by others or running CCleaner.

YMMV. Be careful. None of us trying to help you can be responsible for what happens. We don't know what computer or Windows version you are using.

In all of this, I assume all Windows updates have been applied and the antivirus is something decent as discussed in many other RR forums and threads.

HTH.

The power strip is not related to your problem.

Have you tried visiting those websites using Internet Explorer instead of Chrome?

Is this an AT Home computer or an AT Work computer.

Maybe the System Admin has them blocked at the Firewall

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Anthony, my perception is that you haven't tried or answered the good suggestions above. Have you? What happened?

FWIW, if you haven't cleaned up your system, you might do so with something like Pirform's CCleaner. In addition to taking out deleted and trashed files, it has a registry cleaner that removes references to removed files and files left over from program uninstalls. Not going to say that it will fix your the Web site access. For me, CCleaner seems to help keep my computer working well. It is a free download. Read the help file first. If you don't understand what you are about to do in running the program, don't run it and ask a knowledgeable friend to sit down at your computer and have a look.

In any case, restart the computer after doing any cleanup as suggested by others or running CCleaner.

YMMV. Be careful. None of us trying to help you can be responsible for what happens. We don't know what computer or Windows version you are using.

In all of this, I assume all Windows updates have been applied and the antivirus is something decent as discussed in many other RR forums and threads.

HTH.

My computer is an at home computer. It is Windows XP. No it does not do updates. I do not have an antivirus on it. Yes I have tried the suggestions but I just have not put anything on here to say if it worked. I have tried IE and it still did not work.

QDP2012

1. Regarding your PC's configuration, let me strongly encourage you to get proper security software on your computer, and to do the Windows Updates, and to do both as soon as possible, regardless of whether you continue using the XP computer or choose to replace it with a Win7 or Win8 computer. As of April 8, Microsoft ceased all support for Windows XP. This means that even properly protected XP computers are permanently vulnerable to certain current and future attacks. Your computer might be corrupted with one or more viruses which are interfering with your web browsing.

2. Assuming for the moment that your computer is clean and clear of such trouble, let's consider the website Engrade.com:

• When I browse to "Engrade.com" by typing that name into my Internet Explorer address field (using IE8 on WinXP), it opens the page without any problem.
  • But, I noticed that this report indicates that the domain name "Engrade.com" is mapped to the IP Address 207.198.97.97.
  • Browsing directly to that IP Address produces a certificate warning "There is a problem with this website's security certificate." Clicking "continue"produces the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".
  • When I browse to the IP address using an older version of FireFox, I get a "domain mismatch" error, followed by a page not found error.
  • As was mentioned earlier, the certificate for Engrade.com was issued recently, on 2014-04-19, and is valid through 2015.

3. At this point, maybe you should contact your Internet Service Provider's (ISP's) technical support department, and ask them to:
  • verify that they are able to browse to Engrade.com using its domain name, and also using its IP address.
  • help clarify whether their routers are blocking your attempts due to security concerns about the digital certificate.
  • check to make sure their router's DNS Cache has been refreshed recently.

If your ISP confirms that the router is not blocking your browsing efforts, then you might need to find a friend or contract with a technician to come look at the computer in-person.

Someone might suggest that you try adding Engrade.com to your browser's "trusted sites" list. I would hesitate/refuse to do this because the certificates are there to protect you. Bypassing that protection is really not a good idea, especially since your computer has no other protection software on it.

Just a thought.

Hope this helps,

When on Engrade.com it displys this: It also does it on Zoompanel.com to.

Cannot connect to the real engrade.com

Something is currently interfering with your secure connection to engrade.com.

Try to reload this page in a few minutes or after switching to a new network. If you have recently connected to a new Wi-Fi network, finish logging in before reloading.

If you were to visit engrade.com right now, you might share private information with an attacker. To protect your privacy, Chrome will not load the page until it can establish a secure connection to the real engrade.com.

Reload Less
What does this mean?

engrade.com normally uses encryption (SSL) to protect your information. When Chrome tried to connect to engrade.com this time, engrade.com returned unusual and incorrect credentials. Either an attacker is trying to pretend to be engrade.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later. You can also try switching to another network.

Technical details

The certificate that Chrome received during this connection attempt is not formatted correctly, so Chrome cannot use it to protect your information.
Error type: Malformed certificate
Subject: *.engrade.com
Issuer: DigiCert SHA2 Secure Server CA
Public key hashes: sha1/9uQF0FYHFn0cMubljuRl6/WRA0Y= sha256/Hrl/BA1YKw6hqfXtYscIu5I5fxW6lSOppzRxdjwtjuA= sha1/UbxPdxcIz+UJ3enqpVSOkcBneFM= sha256/5kJvNEMw0KjrCAu7eXY5HZdvyCS13BbA0VJG1RSP91w= sha1/1S4TwavjSdrotJWU73w4Q2BkZr0= sha256/r/mIkG3eEpVdm+u/ko/cwxzOMo1bk4TyHIlByibiA5E=

w2xq

Mentor

Interesting. Both engrade.com and m.engrade.com home pages *instantly* load on this new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 LTE Android OS 4.4.2 tablet. In both cases, the page shows a login screen for some kind of educational services. (I didn't attempt to create an account and go further.)

I absolutely agree with QDP2012'S suggestions on WinXP. Did you try CCleaner to clean up your computer?

QDP2012

A "malformed certificate" message suggests that the problem could be on Engrade's end -- meaning that Engrade.com either was issued an invalid certificate last week, or that their certificate has been compromised, and in either case it needs to be replaced.

As mentioned above, one of my browsers also notifies me of the same error, (but it is a very out-of-date browser). So, you are not the only person experiencing the situation.

Since (I am guessing that) you have an Engrade.com account/login, you might consider contacting Engrade's customer service department directly, and notifying them of the invalid certificate error, so they can investigate it, and help you connect successfully.

I checked their site for a customer-support contact. They only have an online-form, and don't list a phone number or email address. You might need to use another computer to visit their site to complete the form. The link to the Contact Form is: Engrade.com: Contact

If you can successfully log-in from another computer, you might find a better "report a problem" link or additional customer-service contact information after logging in to your account.

Hope this helps,

P.S.: From experience, I should also let you know, that you should not be surprised if customer-service at any corporation you ask for help (whether it is Engrade or a local computer technician), is going to ask you whether you have proper security software on your computer, whether that software has been currently updated, and whether all Windows Updates have been done, and whether your computer is proven to be virus-free. If all of these are not done, some customer service departments will limit their support because they cannot prove that the problem really is not on your end, and they simply won't waste time "chasing a ghost" on their end. Being able to confirm that, within reason, you have isolated/prevented the potential issues on your end, will help you convince them that the problem is on their end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.