St. Johns County Fire Rescue Frequencies - A few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
sjcscanner said:
i looked it up on the FCC website, they wont transition to the new system till 2010. it didnt say what kind of system it was though, post that if you know...
That is why I didn't post the 800 system since its not in service. It may sound like Digital system.

gcr33

What does repeaters have to do with paging? The repeater only does what it names implies repeat the input transmission. Now if they upped the power, changed the antennas etc. at the same time that would make the difference.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
gcr33 said:
What does repeaters have to do with paging? The repeater only does what it names implies repeat the input transmission. Now if they upped the power, changed the antennas etc. at the same time that would make the difference.
That's what I've been saying. I can't find any explanation for my issues in the first post (question #1).

I'm stumped.

gcr33

It's not a stump issue. They may just be transmitting from different sites. The freq. are licensed to the county and they use multi sites.

The old VHF Palm Beach Co. SO was area specific. The North county units used the North repeater. There were county wide channels but not every channel. The 800mhz 28 channel system simulcasts from 10 sites.

In SJC they may simply be using a TX tower nearest the unit and not transmitting countywide. I am way too far away to receive them.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
gcr33 said:
It's not a stump issue. They may just be transmitting from different sites. The freq. are licensed to the county and they use multi sites.

The old VHF Palm Beach Co. SO was area specific. The North county units used the North repeater. There were county wide channels but not every channel. The 800mhz 28 channel system simulcasts from 10 sites.

In SJC they may simply be using a TX tower nearest the unit and not transmitting countywide. I am way too far away to receive them.
Well, that's what Bravo helped me out with earlier. There are multiple inputs for the main dispatch channel. They are all on the same frequency for input and output, but they use a different PL for input to determine the tower. But it appears as though all towers output on the same frequency and PL.

But I've felt like my scanner is definitely picking up the broadcast from one tower at one minute, and a second later, it's picking up the same units on the closer tower (and a lot clearer). My scanner is programed with the PL, so it's obviously the same PL for output.

jerk

UFEMTFF said:
Well, that's what Bravo helped me out with earlier. There are multiple inputs for the main dispatch channel. They are all on the same frequency for input and output, but they use a different PL for input to determine the tower. But it appears as though all towers output on the same frequency and PL.

But I've felt like my scanner is definitely picking up the broadcast from one tower at one minute, and a second later, it's picking up the same units on the closer tower (and a lot clearer). My scanner is programed with the PL, so it's obviously the same PL for output.

There may be a voter involved, but that would require a change on the input PL's I believe.
But weak to strong could be just interference/or leaving the radio on the hip and using a shoulder mic.

AL

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
newsalan said:
There may be a voter involved, but that would require a change on the input PL's I believe.
But weak to strong could be just interference/or leaving the radio on the hip and using a shoulder mic.

AL
Well, I cleared up your 2nd idea in another post. The transmissions were fuzzy on both the user and dispatch side of the conversation. Then, moments later both sides of the conversation were perfectly clear.

jerk

UFEMTFF said:
Well, I cleared up your 2nd idea in another post. The transmissions were fuzzy on both the user and dispatch side of the conversation. Then, moments later both sides of the conversation were perfectly clear.

Wish I could hear them...
Airplanes? Probably something simple, heck could be the link, telephone or microwave. A birdie from your cars computer? Have you tried duplicating this on a different scanner/radio?
I have one system I monitor, and while not moving an inch, the signal meter goes up and down in strength. And I know the repeater/tower is not moving. Just might be one of those things. I wonder if the end users experience the same thing?

AL

Last edited:

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
newsalan said:
Wish I could hear them...
Airplanes? Probably something simple, heck could be the link, telephone or microwave. A birdie from your cars computer? Have you tried duplicating this on a different scanner/radio?
I have one system I monitor, and while not moving an inch, the signal meter goes up and down in strength. And I know the repeater/tower is not moving. Just might be one of those things. I wonder if the end users experience the same thing?

AL
It's very odd, I know. Thanks for the help though.

In answer to your questions, I don't any any other scanner to try this out with, but I haven't noticed the problem with any other systems I listen to (except the UHF Jax Fire paging that everyone here has complained about).

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
grem467 said:
Somewhere I had read (and I've spoken to people off this site) that have said that the JFRD UHF channel is spotty.

Status
Not open for further replies.