StarCom 21 Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jping

Hey everyone; I am not tech savvy at all, but would like to buy a scanner that would allow me to listen to the Illinois State Police District 12.

1. What scanner would you recommend?
2. What frequencies would I need / talk group?

I appreciate all of your help. I've looked through a couple threads, but there's so much technical talk between people that know what they're talking about. I need the "Explain It To Me Like I'm 5 Years Old" edition.

Thanks!!!!

nick223

Feed Provider
You would need a digital scanner to listen to ISP not sure if D 12 is starcom phase 1or2. Then once you get a scanner I recommend getting a radio reference account 30 dollars yearly few then you can just download D12 talk groups right in the scanner.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Hey everyone; I am not tech savvy at all, but would like to buy a scanner that would allow me to listen to the Illinois State Police District 12.

1. What scanner would you recommend?
2. What frequencies would I need / talk group?

I appreciate all of your help. I've looked through a couple threads, but there's so much technical talk between people that know what they're talking about. I need the "Explain It To Me Like I'm 5 Years Old" edition.

Thanks!!!!

At this point I would suggest the new Uniden BCD536HP or BCD436HP scanners. The programming is all done by Services and Location instead of frequencies and talkgroups, so you need not worry about the technical details. Later as (if) you learn how to program it with your own stuff you can do so.

They are not cheap but once you have it in in hand and figure it out it should be pretty simple. They also handle a new technology called Phase 2 or TDMA that is coming to a StarCom21 site near you. It is already used in the Chicago area, it will eventually be used in other areas as well.

VASCAR2

Depending where you live I might be able to help you. I live in Wabash County and I have helped numerous people get their digital scanners programmed.

Like others have mentioned the digital scanners are expensive but the newer models are pre-programmed and you select the area by zip code. I have experience with Uniden 996T/996XT, Uniden 396XT, Uniden Home Patrol plus radio shack Digital scanners.

I do not charge anything since I am retired. You can send me a PM here or an e-mail.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Depending where you live I might be able to help you. I live in Wabash County and I have helped numerous people get their digital scanners programmed.

Like others have mentioned the digital scanners are expensive but the newer models are pre-programmed and you select the area by zip code. I have experience with Uniden 996T/996XT, Uniden 396XT, Uniden Home Patrol plus radio shack Digital scanners.

I do not charge anything since I am retired. You can send me a PM here or an e-mail.

Good for you VASCAR2! I hate when people charge Upwards of $50 for simple programming.

killer_b

Premium Subscriber
you will need a scanner that is APCO P25II compliant,to listen to ISP.There is still some traffic on
P25phase 1,but they have opened a second system that is APCO P25phase 2 and it has allready gone into effect in some areas.The scanners that I know of that are APCO P25 phase2 compliant are Uniden
BCD536HP around 600$ and BCD436HP is around 500$,GRE GRECOM 800 is another choice,also around 500$.In addition to that expense you need radio specific software (about 30$)so you can program your scanner also you will have to have a computer.In addition to that you will need to become a Radio Reference member so you can access the data base with the software to program your scanner!

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
What second system are you referring to? The only phase 2 is on tower 49 and even then NWCD is the only agency in Illinois using phase 2 right now, correct me if I'm wrong but I have not seen a secondary state wide system.

Status
Not open for further replies.