STARS SYSTEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

I've always programed all Division's STARS site's frequencies

Folks ... I just wanted to report back on what I discovered. I reloaded my PSR-800 with the latest data from RR. This time I loaded all the frequencies.. not just the CC. Last Friday I made a trip down to Richmond via Rt 301 from the Nice bridge to I-95 to Richmond. I was pleasantly surprised that I was hearing a lot of traffic. I had set the display on the scanner so that one of the lines was showing the Site name. I only had Richmond, Culpeper and Alexandria (Divisions 1,2 and 7) talkgroups activated. The whole time I continually was hearing call from all three divisions. The sites that showed up on the scanner were: Edgehill, Thormburg, Glen Allen, Rumford, Richmond, and Independence Hill. There may have been a few others that showed up but while driving I couldn't always stare at the scanner long enough to wait for the line to change since that line alternates between System Name and Site Name. The bottom line is that it is now working like it used to. I'm guessing that when I only loaded the control channels, I wasn't hearing hardly anything. I'm guessing that some of the sites may be using some of the other frequencies as the control channel other than those shown in RR. All is well.

----------------

For the past 10+ years occasionally I have argued with others who swear that the only frequency you need is the Primary Control Channel(PCC) to monitor a trs. Yes, that will work until something happens and the control channel frequency has been deleted and a new one added. Don't assume because you also programed the Alternate Control Channel (ACC) you will be fine. I found it to be a waste of my time trying to convince a firm believer otherwise. I have programmed each VSP Division's STARS site's frequencies in all my scanners for same exact reason you now have rediscovered the hard way. Sometimes, for whatever reason(s), the STARS tech's have added, changed or deleted a previously active frequency(s).

This situation also happened to the Chesterfield Co. P1 TRS 4+ years ago. The county Radio Techs added a new PCC and deleted the previous one. Listening panic ensured for some who knew me. Using PRO96COM I knew exactly what had happened but most other monitors didn't until later. When I started getting phone calls, I told them what had happened and reprogrammed their scanners and all was well again.

Your experience is another reason I post, whenever appropriate, that it is a good idea to survey all STARS sites possibly annually, if applicable, in all divisions, going mobile if necessary with a laptop and scanner running PRO96COM and posting the appropriate updated STARS site number with the latest frequencies and post them.

Glad you did the right thing regarding your STARS reception.

John
W4UVV

lynnk

Premium Subscriber
I made a trip the other day from Southern Maryland over to Fredericksburg and had Div 1, 2 and 7 talkgroups activated. I was watching to see what sites showed up on transmissions. I was really surprised at the number of different sites that showed up. The one that really caught my attention was a Fairfax call that I was receiving from the Potts Mtn site. I don't know how their system works but Potts Mtn is a long way from the Fairfax area. There were a few others that were equally far from the area.

troymail

Silent Key
I made a trip the other day from Southern Maryland over to Fredericksburg and had Div 1, 2 and 7 talkgroups activated. I was watching to see what sites showed up on transmissions. I was really surprised at the number of different sites that showed up. The one that really caught my attention was a Fairfax call that I was receiving from the Potts Mtn site. I don't know how their system works but Potts Mtn is a long way from the Fairfax area. There were a few others that were equally far from the area.

Assuming you were using your GRE 800, if you had all sites programmed for STARS, it's likely that there are some frequencies reused on multiple sites (including distant sites) and the radio was finding a local control frequency associated with a distant site thus giving you false information about the site you were monitoring.

Just a hunch based on my experience.

W4UVV

"Affliation"

----------------

Overly simplified VSP STARS uses "affiliation" which allows authorized user's radios to communicate out of their normal operating area to "affiliate" that particular STARS radio via multiple STARS site's system interlinking to communicate directly back to his "home" VSP Division dispatcher.

The comms you heard from the STARS Potts Mtn. site was a VSP Div 7 unit mobile in the Roanoke VSP Div 6. area. STARS mobile radios, like cellphones, frequently "poll" for the strongest STARS site signal received and lock onto it. In this case it was Potts Mtn. but as the mobile returns to Fairfax Co., the radio will "affiliate" with other STARS sites along the way.

In the beginning of STARS installations "affiliations" happened almost daily here in Div 1sometimes for weeks at a time. At first I didn't understand in detail what was happening, but I liked hearing the out of area comms. Then one day they all ceased. But "affiliation" was a hot subject on the VA forum. As more installations occurred I and many others understood what and how it technically was occurring.

Do a RR search for "STARS site affiliations" or similar related and read past RR VA Forum posts for more insight on the subject.

John
W4UVV

W4UVV

That's not the only problem that can happen

Don't feel bad that has tripped up a lot of people for a very long time. It always frustrated me to see people foisting off that "Only put in the CC" concept on others. It leads to problems such as these.

That's not all the problem(s) that can happen. I thought I had all of the system frequencies programed for the STARS Waverly site located 10 air miles south of me. One day I was listening to a Chesapeake dispatcher/mobile comm. The mobile asked a question and responded "10-4" but I didn't hear the dispatcher's response to his question.

It had been over 6 months since I had run PRO66COM. Curious I ran it again and within 5 minutes saw a new voice frequency "151.2200" mhz. had been added. That happened to be the frequency the system controller assigned for the dispatcher's reply and the reason I didn't hear it. Subsequently the Waverly site increased over time from a 4 frequency configuration to presently a 6 frequency site. So the lesson learned was even if you think you have all frequencies programed for a monitored STARS site because that's what's listed in the RR DB or whatever source, maybe you do or maybe you don't. That's why I frequently "beat the drum" about at least annually running PRO96COM on all STARS sites if resources, time, and weather permit.

John
W4UVV

fredva

Feed Provider
----------------

Overly simplified VSP STARS uses "affiliation" which allows authorized user's radios to communicate out of their normal operating area to "affiliate" that particular STARS radio via multiple STARS site's system interlinking to communicate directly back to his "home" VSP Division dispatcher.

The comms you heard from the STARS Potts Mtn. site was a VSP Div 7 unit mobile in the Roanoke VSP Div 6. area. STARS mobile radios, like cellphones, frequently "poll" for the strongest STARS site signal received and lock onto it. In this case it was Potts Mtn. but as the mobile returns to Fairfax Co., the radio will "affiliate" with other STARS sites along the way.

In the beginning of STARS installations "affiliations" happened almost daily here in Div 1sometimes for weeks at a time. At first I didn't understand in detail what was happening, but I liked hearing the out of area comms. Then one day they all ceased. But "affiliation" was a hot subject on the VA forum. As more installations occurred I and many others understood what and how it technically was occurring.

Do a RR search for "STARS site affiliations" or similar related and read past RR VA Forum posts for more insight on the subject.

John
W4UVV

John, I know that out-of-area affliation occurs but based on my experience with a scanner similar to the PSR-800, I tend to believe that TroyMail's explanation may fit this situation. With all of the towers in the state programmed in a playlist in my PRO-18, I often see site names that are very far away pop up on my screen when local division units are talking. I believe this is due to the duplicated use of the same frequencies and the scanner just displaying the first site it finds associated with the frequency currently in use. The only way I know to prevent this is to just program in a few sites that are in the local area, then the site from which I'm actually receiving the transmission is the site that is displayed.

If a trooper's transmission originated on the Pott's Mtn site, how would that information get passed through the system to a local tower and to Lynn's radio? Is there a "I'm originating from ...." message passed through the system to a local tower that a PSR-800 can read and display accordingly?

troymail

Silent Key
To my knowledge, no scanner today really uses WACNs, SYSIDs, or site numbers when tuning to a control channel. The only thing that comes close (but still doesn't use these values) would be GPS/location based scanning that wouldn't even consider a remote site on the other side of the state, etc. when displaying info. In most/all scanners, the radio is simply looking at the frequencies you have programmed to find an active and acceptable control channel. It doesn't really care if the frequencies is assigned to a local or remote site or even if it is part of a local (vs. distant/remote system - could even be in another state from my experience). As long as the signal is acceptable and matches the type (P25, Motorola, EDACS, etc.), the radio will try to process the control channel. Now of course, there ill have to be at least one talkgroup ID programmed that matches what the control channel stream contains (or having a "wildcard" or your radio/system in "ID Search") for it to actually stop on something.

While not a scanner, the Unication devices do in fact care about WACNs, SYSIDs, etc. in addition to the frequencies and talkgroups that are programmed. To be honest, there are both pros and cons to using these values -- most people just don't care and like location (lat/lon and radius) data, you'll find that some of what is posted on RRDB is incorrect and/or out of date. On Unications, you can set some wildcards for WACN, SYSID, etc. but there are both pros and cons to doing that as well.

W4UVV

Not a STARS Radio Tech

John, I know that out-of-area affliation occurs but based on my experience with a scanner similar to the PSR-800, I tend to believe that TroyMail's explanation may fit this situation. With all of the towers in the state programmed in a playlist in my PRO-18, I often see site names that are very far away pop up on my screen when local division units are talking. I believe this is due to the duplicated use of the same frequencies and the scanner just displaying the first site it finds associated with the frequency currently in use. The only way I know to prevent this is to just program in a few sites that are in the local area, then the site from which I'm actually receiving the transmission is the site that is displayed.

If a trooper's transmission originated on the Pott's Mtn site, how would that information get passed through the system to a local tower and to Lynn's radio? Is there a "I'm originating from ...." message passed through the system to a local tower that a PSR-800 can read and display accordingly?

------------------
fredva:

FYI to repeat, I never claimed infer to possessing the detailed technical knowledge regarding STARS to respond to the poster's theory regarding affiliations. However there are other members of this forum who are much more technically knowledgeable and qualified who can discuss the subject at more length and detail with whomever. After discussing my limited understanding of the technical process, all I can do is reflect upon some earlier STARS pre and post installation monitoring site experiences which may or may contribute to anything helpful.

STARS was Motorola's latest state of the art digital trs when STARS was selected by VA in the early 2000 period. It was Motorola's second multi-data digital stream data packet trs sold. Alaska was the first state to use it. It also was a new scanner OS baseline nightmare especially for Uniden and to a lesser degree GRE (RS). Needlessly to say STARS monitoring problems lasted for some years until resolution, if ever. The various initial STARS sites installed statewide were the previously analog sites using 2 Ghz. PTP links, fiber, cable and other comm resources statewide. New STARS sites subsequently were installed as necessary within the state for the goal of seamless comms. A few remaining lower power STARS "filler" sites currently are in the process of installation as mentioned earlier mostly now confined to Div 4

Every STARS user's radio is not authorized for out of area STARS "home" division(s) comms. Each STARS user's radio is pre-programed at the Network Operations Center (NOC) Richmond or possibly some at the Roanoke (NOC) for appropriate STARS site affiliations (authorizations). These site authorizations are software programed and embedded until changed by the NOC. During the unit's radio "handshaking" validation process every time the mobile's mic is pressed, that data first is transmitted to the affiliated STARS site regardless of that particular location. Again over simplified, as I understand, each STARS Division's site's computer OS software (i.e., system controller/executable programs,files, etc.) is constantly inter-system updated to include any "affiliation" authorization(s) for each appropriate STARS radio for access/use of each STARS particular site regardless of location.

Again some STARS user's radios were programed with "out of division" affiliations as appropriate for their "home" or "out of area" or "out of division" STARS site(s) operations. Some STARS radio users are affiliated with different STARS sites because of geographic considerations.

For example a few VSP Div 1, 7 and possibly Div 2 radios additionally were programed for interop comms with MD SP via selected MD site locations. VSP units which are not affiliated with other divisions have the option of selecting 1 of 40 frequency configured zones in their 16 ch. radios if desired or required when traveling out of his home Division. Occasionally, a VSP mobile can be heard informing his dispatcher he is changing to specific division so he can talk to their dispatcher(s). .

Affiliations will vary with different STARS radio users. For example, most Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel Police radio were pre-programed for affiliations only with the Hampton, Williamsburg, Chesapeake, Accomack and although unlikely, possibly Rumford, Div 5 STARS sites. I know CCBP comms aren't heard on the Emporia or Waverly Div 5 sites as I additionally can monitor those two sites.

STARS radio techs in past years have been heard via Div 1 and other Divs for comms sourced in Div 4. For 4 or 5 months within the past 2 years the Grundy City PD and Buchanan Co. SO, then new users on the STARS system were heard loud and clear 24/7 on STARS Div 1 Richmond and other Divisions. Subsequently the STARS radio techs made the necessary changes to restrict their comms only to a few neighboring SW VA STARS repeater sites.

I heard a rumor years ago that the capability exists in the STARS system Richmond dispatch to do an affiliate "overide" for all VSP, DGIF, DCR, DOH, DOF DMME, etc,. and other selected non-state selected STARS users (Division COMLINC) to affiliate either selectively or globally STARS sites statewide. I believe a certain amount of it has credibility. For example, all DGIF units still are dispatched as far as I know statewide from a DGIF employee at the Div 1 Richmond STARS site. I'm sure other enhanced comm capabilities exist in STARS which we never have heard tested and probably never will expect possibly during a state or national emergency.

Regarding frequency reuse, in my opinion, for the past 15+ years it has causes reception problems for me as a monitor. It did not have to be used in some later STARS site installations but was used. A little STARS history.... as a long time STARS monitor with a good reception situation, my recollections may explain in part why it happened so much. Previously, the multi-thousand dollar paid consultant contracted by the state to develop the STARS installation plan, etc., completed it. It was disseminated for "in house" and other appropriate reviews to the appropriate organizational entities including concurrence(VITA was one of the action offices) and final accepted by the state's contracting representatives after a few changes. As initial site installation dates became closer an "OMG" problem appeared. It seems the consultant and VITA office had not given enough consideration as to the total number of vhf frequencies required for a statewide radio network.

That lack of foresight soon evolved to a fact. VITA realized there were not enough available state licensed vhf frequencies to use for all projected 37 STARS sites statewide or even for initial scheduled new installations. It's just my guess that probably urgent phone calls were made to the FCC HQ concurrent with a VITA emergency letter or FCC application request for immediate action requesting more vhf frequencies. But there was another problem. It seems already there were thousands of active FCC licensed VA vhf radio users. The FCC's response was to license VA a few of the 151 and 152 mhz. licenses possibly previously unlicensed for Paging only or to other state LMR users. There maybe were a couple of 158-159 mhz. frequencies also authorized by the letter. These frequencies did not appear in a General Menu search because they were a special letter licensed authorization. Time passd and immediate problem solved. Well, not exactly Those few letter authorized frequencies still were not enough for future soon upcoming STARS site's installations...hence Solution 2.

Solution number 2 involved having VITA modify existing DOF and/or DGIF FCC licensed frequencies from that particular statewide licensed entity to be used for upcoming STARS site installations. That began a period of lots of their licenses still technically belonging to their agencies but in reality being used in new STARS sites. That started a period of "robbing Peter to Pay Paul", Time passed and it worked reasonably well until one day after another relook "OMG" VITA concluded there still were not enough available new frequencies for the STARS installations mainly in western VA for Divs 4, 6 and for Fairfax Div 7. Fortunately, by then time was on VITA's side and provided a helpful solution. The FCC recently had opened a lower frequency khz segment of the former 157-161 mhz. range for new licensing to other LMR selected services. Anybody remember the "Norfolk Marine Operator" and the ship to shore vhf phone patches? I do. That Marine phone patch service had died because of the increased proliferation and popularity of cellphones resulting basically with those frequencies being "dead".

But prior to this time this new frequency range had been available to VITA for licensing and obtaining more of the frequencies needed for use with the remaining new STARS installations. But VITA did not immediately request any new 161mhz. frequencies and thus "frequency reuse" ruled STARS installations for Div 7 installations as an example. However for Divs 2, 3, 6 and some Div 4 remaining installations selected licensed 161 mhz. frequencies were used and mixed with reused frequencies. Subsequently I read the posted "maybe" reasons(excuses?) why RF frequency reuse was used solely for all Div 7 sites. Later in Divs 2, 3, 4, and 6 161mhz. frequencies were used in a significant number of STARS site installations.

I offer a classic example of a frequency reuse problem for my monitoring situation. "152.7125" is the PCC for Fork Mtn. Waverly also uses "152.7125" as its' PCC. In order to receive Fork Mtn. voice comms I had to program all voice frequencies as conventional and scan. There was no requirement to reuse "152.7125" at both sites but it was used. I well understand that monitor's frequency's desires are not basis for any consideration radio techs use when frequencies are installed where ever for whatever reason(s).. But during that same time period Div 7 installations were occurring the "new" 161mhz. frequencies were available for licensing. Unless I've missed something, you won't find a single 161 mhz. frequency used at any Div 7 STARS site.

But those individuals who can monitor multiple STARS sites which use the same multiple voice frequencies know very well what can result. The only practical solution was what I used to hear the Fork Mtn. site voice comms.

As I initially stated there are other members of this forum whom much more technically qualified either to confirm or rebut the poster's affiliation's analysis and better explain explain the subject in detail.

John
W4UVV

Eugene

I know this may seem like a dumb question, as I too have only been monitoring in the "CC" ONLY mode. Now you have me wondering so I am gonna try this. My question is when you program all the frequencies do you leave it on "CC" mode and let it run through all the channels assuming any or all may be used as a CC, or take it off "CC" only. Thanks in advance....

Eugene KG4AVE

W4UVV

A GRE scanner user needs to provide you more CC scanning info

I know this may seem like a dumb question, as I too have only been monitoring in the "CC" ONLY mode. Now you have me wondering so I am gonna try this. My question is when you program all the frequencies do you leave it on "CC" mode and let it run through all the channels assuming any or all may be used as a CC, or take it off "CC" only. Thanks in advance....

Eugene KG4AVE
----------------------
Eugene,

Uniden and GRE scanners DO NOT have the same 1 for 1 user programing/scanning options. All my scanners are Uniden. For example, the target STARS site's trs frequency(s) are entered, saved and scanned. That's all. There is no unique CC saved/scan mode only user selection.

GRE scanners offer more user CC programing/scanning options. I assume you are using a GRE scanner. I would not select the "CC Mode Only". But a knowledgeable GRE scanner user needs to respond to better discuss your CC questions.

John
W4UVV

troymail

Silent Key

Eugene KG4AVE

Not sure what radio you are using but the "CC Only" option is a fairly old concept at this point (I believe). My guess is that option told the radio to enable extra processing to figure out what the voice frequencies are. Anything making the radio work harder usually impacts performance (even if ever so slightly).

Having said that - if you program all of the system/site frequencies, leaving CC Only enabled probably doesn't much matter (other than the potential performance degradation).

On the other hand - if you have all system/site frequencies programmed, it probably makes alot of sense to turn "CC Only" off.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
----------------------
Eugene,

Uniden and GRE scanners DO NOT have the same 1 for 1 user programing/scanning options. All my scanners are Uniden. For example, the target STARS site's trs frequency(s) are entered, saved and scanned. That's all. There is no unique CC saved/scan mode only user selection.

GRE scanners offer more user CC programing/scanning options. I assume you are using a GRE scanner. I would not select the "CC Mode Only". But a knowledgeable GRE scanner user needs to respond to better discuss your CC questions.

John
W4UVV

I think Eugene might be referring to a Uniden handheld, either the 396 or the more recent P2 handheld. So I'm curious to see if he'll elaborate on this.

On GRE scanners, AFAIK 'CC Only' is a choice made when importing the system into the radio. We get the option of populating the sites with all channels listed, or just those that RR has marked as control channels. This was necessary with the PSR500, which had a max of 32 CC's per system, and could potentially streamline the performance of the PSR800/TRX-1 generation, which can load a large number of sites, each with a large list of freqs.

So we face a choice between the problem that you point out (the voice channel you decide not to include may turn out to be a CC that you now don't have) and the problem Troymail points out (checking each and every known freq for whether it's control or voice makes the scanning process more cumbersome).

But to avoid general confusion, I'd like to summarize what I think are the actual basics:

1 - No trunking scanner that I know of decodes any voice channel that it wasn't sent to by the Control Channel. And the Control Channel will cause your radio to synthesize whatever voice channel it wants you to hear. Therefore, the actual value in having all voice channels programmed in the radio is the possibility that one of them might come into use as control channel unexpectedly.

2 - STARS is generally permissive about affiliation, as evidenced by some of the stuff we hear on the Midlothian tower. It may be made necessary by dispatching facilities in Richmond (particularly for DGIF & VDOT) which appear to affiliate with local sites as if they were mobile radios. So yes, anything could potentially happen.

3 - But I believe that the current generation of trunking scanners reads only frequency info from programmed sites, not actual site numbers, WACN, etc. So when LynnK picked up a VSP Fairfax TG on a site labeled 'Potts Mountain', note that the primary CC listed is 152.0975. It's also primary CC (per database) for the Thornburg site, which was pretty close to both him and VSP Div.7. It seems most likely that the radio simply responded to a viable CC on 152.0975, which was programmed in the radio for both Potts Mt. and Thornburg. If I don't lock some non-local sites out, it's nothing for me to get the Midlothian tower labeled on my screen as Virginia Beach or Norton.

The same thing happens scanning SIRN in WV or VIPER in NC. Maybe the next generation of scanners will actually read the site info, or maybe doing that is just a burden on the scanning process. Either way, I think this situation reflects on our need to constantly recheck these systems, and to remember that scanners don't behave like the end-user radios--something that I'm very glad of.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
With Uniden you can set location of the towers and the distance surrounding them to include in scan. Theoretically this would mean you would only pick up sites within the distance you specify to receive. Its a bit more complicated than that but essentially it is the closest you can get to what you were speaking about. There is no way in current scanners to set WACN and whatnot.

Also only putting in sties close to you would help tremendously. Uniden with location control off will scan all sites you put into a system and you can easily have different sites in different sections which you can turn on and off as you like. I have it set up that way under "Local", "Rockbridge" and "Roanoke" lists. Each as their own unique sites with some overlap as needed. For instance I don't pick up 218 locally but I do pick up 222 and 221 for some distance going down to Roanoke so the latter are in all the lists.

As to the older GRE/RS scanners. It had the option of "Check all CC's" which would check all control channels it came across when scanning a system.

The newer scanners like Whistler and newer RS models do not have that which makes setting up systems a real pain in the a$$. You have to import whatever sites in the system you want then duplicate each of those sites then go in and delete all the sites you don't want for each duplicate and basically a real pain. The newer scanners lock onto the best signal and that is the site you are stuck with.

I have a number of sites I can receive often with unique voice traffic but without doing the pain procedure I only get one of them.

Eugene

My bad.......it probably would have saved a lot of time and typers cramps on you all's parts if I had not ASSumed you knew which scanner I was using. It was indeed a Uniden 396XT. With Butel software there is an option for checking "CC Only" or not when programming the siites.. Sorry and thanks for the replies.

Eugene KG4AVE

fredva

Feed Provider
3 - But I believe that the current generation of trunking scanners reads only frequency info from programmed sites, not actual site numbers, WACN, etc. So when LynnK picked up a VSP Fairfax TG on a site labeled 'Potts Mountain', note that the primary CC listed is 152.0975. It's also primary CC (per database) for the Thornburg site, which was pretty close to both him and VSP Div.7. It seems most likely that the radio simply responded to a viable CC on 152.0975, which was programmed in the radio for both Potts Mt. and Thornburg. If I don't lock some non-local sites out, it's nothing for me to get the Midlothian tower labeled on my screen as Virginia Beach or Norton.

Also, if one has all of the sites' frequencies programmed in, and not just the control channels, I'm pretty sure if a voice frequency of a distant site matches the control channel of a local site, then that distant site name will potentially show up on the display. Last week I was seeing Leigh Mountain displayed on my scanner when I was near the Edgehill site. I checked and two of Leigh Mountain's voice frequencies match the primary and alternate control channels of Edgehill. This makes sense because with all frequencies programmed, the scanner should assume that all frequencies of the distant site are potential control channels.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
The newer scanners like Whistler and newer RS models do not have that which makes setting up systems a real pain in the a$$. You have to import whatever sites in the system you want then duplicate each of those sites then go in and delete all the sites you don't want for each duplicate and basically a real pain. The newer scanners lock onto the best signal and that is the site you are stuck with.

I have a number of sites I can receive often with unique voice traffic but without doing the pain procedure I only get one of them.

I really do miss 'Roam' and 'Stat' mode like we had on the PSR500. It was tailor made for STARS. We can only hope that Whistler will either find a way to make the TRX's more like it, or have a future model with the capabilities of both.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I really do miss 'Roam' and 'Stat' mode like we had on the PSR500. It was tailor made for STARS. We can only hope that Whistler will either find a way to make the TRX's more like it, or have a future model with the capabilities of both.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

I agree. I would love it if Uniden would develop this mode, as well.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Also, if one has all of the sites' frequencies programmed in, and not just the control channels, I'm pretty sure if a voice frequency of a distant site matches the control channel of a local site, then that distant site name will potentially show up on the display. Last week I was seeing Leigh Mountain displayed on my scanner when I was near the Edgehill site. I checked and two of Leigh Mountain's voice frequencies match the primary and alternate control channels of Edgehill. This makes sense because with all frequencies programmed, the scanner should assume that all frequencies of the distant site are potential control channels.

I've only heard of that happening on the newer RS and Whistler radios. Supposedly people have said they don't properly trunk track conversations off the CC like Uniden's radios do.

I don't know.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Yes. I have the 600 and still love it. A total work horse. It was in my truck for years and runs in the house 24/7 and is still going gangbusters. I swear the old girl works better than my 436, 536 and 668 sometimes.

And its so nice to just add the sites I want in import and click check all CCs and be set.

With all the multi-site systems these days I just can't fathom why on Earth RS/GRE and now Whistler abandoned that capability. Most places you can get more than one site after all and its lack is a major problem for me.

fredva

Feed Provider
I've only heard of that happening on the newer RS and Whistler radios. Supposedly people have said they don't properly trunk track conversations off the CC like Uniden's radios do.

I don't know.

I think in my case, it's following the local control channel and reception is usually fine. It's just when the scanner checks its SD card to identify the site for the user, it apparently only has the CC frequency to go by and there are several possible site matches if you've got a whole state programmed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.