Static

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

I am receiving a lot of static on my Bearcat hits could this be a range issue, just inserted a new card update and programed for 5 surrounding county’s . I have the 436

I don’t understand your suggestion
If you are too far from the transmitter. you will hear static.

Static is often caused by a weak signal at the scanner's antenna input

The remedy is to move closer to the transmitter or if you can't do that, you need to put up an antenna to improve reception, if possible.

KO4IPV

ok got it sounds exactly what I intend to do the antenna I am working with is on top of my car, I am sure once it is put on my roof my signal will improve. Thanks for your help.

KO4IPV

That is engine off must just be antenna issue I am temporarily using a magnetic car mount and I was informed this possible is a problem I can solve once it is placed on my roof.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
ok got it sounds exactly what I intend to do the antenna I am working with is on top of my car, I am sure once it is put on my roof my signal will improve. Thanks for your help.

Maybe....
With a good antenna, (and coax) - yes. (An antenna that is designed for the desired frequency).
But, (for instance) you are using a VHF antenna and trying to rec'v 800, not so much.
Also the higher the freq, the more loss/attenuation in the cable.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
That is engine off must just be antenna issue I am temporarily using a magnetic car mount and I was informed this possible is a problem I can solve once it is placed on my roof.
Not necessarily. Yes, moving the antenna further away from a badly suppressed noise maker (engine) will help. But if the static you hear IS generated by the vehicle you will notice it immediately by turning off the ignition with the radio still on. That will help identify if it’s the vehicle causing the problem. If it turns out it’s not the vehicle at least you’ve narrowed down your search for the cause by one. If it’s a matter of a weak signal (you know your antenna is ok), you may just be too far away from the signal origin. Improving the antenna (better gain) may help or simply moving closer to the origin of that signal could correct it. Practicality plays a large part in this... and is different for everyone. Meaning you do what improvements you are willing to do, can afford, and live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.