STICKY thread for Fed & MilAir MS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5TLF

168.750 110.9 PL This one is already in the DB under US Forestry Service albeit with no PL tone. Just a confirmation it is still in use for fire service ops.

KE5TLF

171.7625 ICE Repeater traffic heard today and this evening. This one is REAL close to me, REAL powerful or both. Outdoor antenna on PRO106, meter pegged with ATT on. RS 800 Duckie indoors, metal roof house, meter pegged, 2-3 bars with ATT on.

139.500 Heard a nice little "mini-war" over the gulf this afternoon and nailed this one down and gathered 277.400 MHz to boot. Callsigns "Gypsy ##" I believe and "Goliath" was present.

277.400 MHz "Goliath" directing flight operations. AWACS? E2C? This one and 139.500 is listed in DB for NAS JRB New Orleans. 139.500 is listed as a FM Fire channel at the base though?

nexus

Goliath is a NORAD callsign belonging to NEADS 23rd Region

It could very well of been an AWACS or some other airborne command and control unit like the 7th ACCS who fly C-130's with a capsule in the payload. Great catch I'll have to add 139.5 AM to my scanlist. I've found several milaircomm transmissions between 130-144 mhz AM. The Thunderbirds use freqs around 141mhz in AM when they fly over here. So it's not always just federal government/military FM communications on there.

Here are the three units that are known to be using Gypsy as of 2009
GYPSY F-18F VF-32, "Swordsmen" CVW-3 NAS Oceana, VA
GYPSY A-10 172ND FS MI ANG BATTLE CREEK MI
GYPSY F-15E USAFE 48FW / 492 FS LN Lakenheath UK

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Nexus, the 138-144 range is widely used by military, especially National Gaurd/Reserves for airial comms. For example,... The Arkansas Army National Gaurd A-10 Warthogs use this range for most of thier comms. So when looking for Mil Air, you need like.. 6 scanners LOL...
One for VHF Lo for Army/National Gaurd Helos....
One for the usual 118-138 aviation...
One for the 138-144 in AM mode...
One for 226-380 Mil Air...
One for the 380 MHz P-25 FED/Mil TRS's, and other military installations....
:)

KE5TLF

141.800 FM 210.7 PL - Motor pool type convo, what to do with the keys to the new sedan, something about a white top sedan etc. One guy would be at the shop in a moment.?

KE5TLF

228.8500 - Hearing Wildgoose 71, Spooky42 , and others. Also hearing them on the Shelby Air Range Control frequency on 233.2000. Sounds like they are using Camp Shelby West Air to Ground Range.

Copy that in Jackson County as well :)

Found this cool little site last night See and Avoid
Also online sectional charts here for ID's of said MOA/SUA's http://skyvector.com/

Turn on MOA's and SUA's and you can see which ones are currently "hot" :) Desoto 1 & 2 are "hot" at the moment so possibly that's where this exercise is going on?

Last edited:

darrendotcom

Copy that in Jackson County as well :)

Found this cool little site last night See and Avoid
Also online sectional charts here for ID's of said MOA/SUA's SkyVector.com - Aeronautical Charts - Flight Planning

Turn on MOA's and SUA's and you can see which ones are currently "hot" :) Desoto 1 & 2 are "hot" at the moment so possibly that's where this exercise is going on?

Cool Web site, Thanks. Camp Shelby calls them East and West. The West Air to Ground Range is what I am hearing now. Also hearing Purple One on 228.850. Must be the same unit I heard this weekend on VHF.

nexus

There was news in the Sun Herald today that there is a squadron of F-16's from Oklahoma at the Gpt Air Guard base this week conducting exercises all along the coast. Could possibly be that traffic on 139mhz

KE5TLF

142.200 busy this afternoon with training.

Yep listening to 2 guys using up their last 8 minutes of "play time" right now LOL

From the sound of it this one is seems to be a Camp Shelby freq. Heard them mention Desoto MOA. "Maddog" is a prominent call sign on this one too. Possible controller?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This would be a dandy addition to our wiki. I'm pretty sure we already have a Nashville milair article; there's no reason that couldn't be absorbed into something else.

It would be an easy way of tracking frequencies, users and so forth. Just look at what was done for the Delmarva area. Much of that is 2-3 years old, and most of it is STILL good! 73 Mike

KE5TLF

Ok got to copy most of the setup for this afternoon's exercise in "Whiskey" 453.

277.400 Is all but cetainly Navy New Orleans controller. Still haven't figured out if he's controlling from ground or air though. (I'm starting to think ground?)
139.500 is "Blue Air" (our side) tactical. (F-16 CAP it seems this afternoon)
140.550 if I heard correctly is "Red Air" (hostiles) tactical (3 T-38's as MIG's 1 - 3 this afternoon)
353.550 is Houston ARTCC freq. for these MILAIR ops. Control will "push" pilots to this freq. to contact Houston for RTB. Houston will also use 277.400 to make contact when needed as well.

This afternoon's setup prior to the exercise was very informative. I suspect this is the case a lot of the time. Afternoon operations seem to begin around 4:15 - 4:30 local time.

139.250 (AUX 11) and 142.200 (Flight Ops) seem to go together with "Maddog". The aformentioned 2 guys (Loco31 and Loco32) are now flying to New Orleans until they reach "divert" fuel. They are to divert to Gulfport at this time. (their origin/destination in the first place from what I understand)

EDIT: Just heard "Loco" use the above channel names for those freqs.

Last edited:

KE5TLF

There was news in the Sun Herald today that there is a squadron of F-16's from Oklahoma at the Gpt Air Guard base this week conducting exercises all along the coast. Could possibly be that traffic on 139mhz

Seems these guys are operating in the Desoto MOA's doing bombing training for sure. Possibly some CAP in the gulf too. I didn't catch the ARTCC comms after this afternoons mission but this morning was "2 F-15's RTB Navy New Orleans".

Seems I've picked an opportune time to dive into MILAIR comms for sure. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.