Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
New Calsign DREW.. This afternoon a DREW 12 KC-135 6thAMW/927ARW MacDilll
into McGuire "req follow me vehicle"
MacDill recently added 8 more KC-135's for total of 24 now with resurrection of the old Tampa 50th AS
down there.. Lots of DREW ** callsigns of KC-135's milling around MacDill lately.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
N145WB is based out of Cape May Wildwood Airport KWWD

If I see the owner I will ask for more information. I was think more that WB meant War Bird.

Terry
Villas NJ

mdmonitor

Russian Bombers approach Alaska 16 Aug

Two Tupolev Tu-160 Russian supersonic long-range nuclear bombers conducted drills in an area near Alaska "for the first time in history," demonstrating that Russia can deploy heavy bombers close to the US, the Russian Ministry of Defense revealed Thursday.

The Tu-160 bombers, which can carry six standard cruise missiles and 12 short-range nuclear missiles and fly at speeds greater than two times the speed of sound, were accompanied by Tu-95MS strategic bombers and Il-78 tankers during the exercises, according to The Moscow Times. A total of ten Russian aircraft reportedly participated in the drills.

The Tu-160 bombers reportedly flew more than 4,000 miles from their home base in Saratov in southwestern Russia to Anadyr on the Chukotka Peninsula, which faces Alaska across the Bering Strait, the Associated Press reported.

Under the command of Lieutenant-General Sergei Kobylash, the bombers practiced striking targets at Komi range before taking off across the Arctic Ocean. The two aircraft crews refueled in mid-air and then returned to their home base.

While the latest flight was the first time Tu-160 bombers, production of which was restarted to boost foreign patrols in response to an increase in regional tensions, have ventured close to Alaska, it is not the first time Russian bombers have done so.

In May, two US Air Force F-22 stealth fighter jets intercepted two Tupolev Tu-95 Russian nuclear-capable bombers that came within 55 miles of Alaska's west coast, The Washington Free Beacon first reported. The bomber flights announced Thursday come amid escalating tensions between the US and Russia.

freqhopping

Anybody hear any F-15s Saturday morning over eastern PA? I was diving at Dutch Springs. Upon finishing a dive I noticed single jets heading east at ~3k ft with 1 or 2 minute intervals. There were either a bunch of them leaving, or a lesser amount possibly doing long pattern work at Lehigh Valley. I didn't have a scanner available at the time.
I only had VHF freqs programmed anyways.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
1157 am local Thunderbird 1 flight heading for Atlantic City for Weds airshow off the boardwalk

Around noon Saw MV-22 Osprey zipping over my house southwest bound at about 2k altitude.Real cool motoring along like a plane.
On tape sounded like Nighthawk 31 mentioned enroute Quantico so assume from HMX-1
Maybe coming back from New Jersey?

Last edited:

Tech792

Premium Subscriber
1157 am local Thunderbird 1 flight heading for Atlantic City for Weds airshow off the boardwalk

Around noon Saw MV-22 Osprey zipping over my house southwest bound at about 2k altitude.Real cool motoring along like a plane.
On tape sounded like Nighthawk 31 mentioned enroute Quantico so assume from HMX-1
Maybe coming back from New Jersey?

Yes, NIGHTHAWKs have been busy in and out of Trumps NJ country club when he's there.. Usually in flights of 3 or more. 143.825 FM seems to be their common A/A. I think I read somewhere that NIGHTHAWK is the callsign when POTUS not on board. Otherwise it would be MARINE 1.

08/23/18 @ 1240 local- Have IROC41 (04-4128) C-17 looks like out of Andrews setting up an AR off the coast.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Yes, NIGHTHAWKs have been busy in and out of Trumps NJ country club when he's there.. Usually in flights of 3 or more. 143.825 FM seems to be their common A/A. I think I read somewhere that NIGHTHAWK is the callsign when POTUS not on board. Otherwise it would be MARINE 1.QUOTE]

Yeah Nighthawks is HMX1 squad callsign.. Potus normally does not fly on the MV-22's.
They are for supporting cast and for emergency backup use.Potus sticks with the regular VH-60 Marine Choppers.
I have 143.825 as McGuire tanker A/A...Hear KC-10's often on that.

1145am Had a HOGGER 1 flight of 2 A-10's into Martin State. Maybe visiting Arkansas Hogs?

Last edited:
HOGGER Flight

Mark
I wish you were right about the A10s being a Arkansas flight, but we lost those a few years back. new mission with ISR DRONES here. Fortunately , we still have good MOAs and alot of visiting training going on around here to keep me busy. anyway, just wanted to give ya that update have a good one and i enjoy your posts and others on this page
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.