Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Today 1645z mode s N806MR DH8-C Dept of Homeland Security FL 210
First time logging this one and not been around for a long while.
Came out of North Carolina and up to Maine today.
Checking around this is a CBP Dash 8 plane based in Puerto Rico.. No wonder never catch it up here.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Mark,

Thanks for First Ops callsign. Will add to my list

Rgr Ron heard again tonight RCH 702 C-5M 84-0061 inbound divert due to press problem. Called "First Ops" on CP 349.400.
Looks like RCH 702 made it as far South as South Carolina now rtb Dover.

freqhopping

Three MUSSELL flights heading out to Mt WX. Got a manned tower at JYO tonight communicating with them.

Noticed Trump's 757 over in the UK today. It departed from Dulles yesterday evening, just missed seeing because I was in my garage at the time.

mdmonitor

The U.S. Air Force and Boeing announced on Friday that the final required flight tests are complete before the first KC-46A Pegasus tanker could be delivered to the military.

An Air Force release stated a test team made up of Air Force and Boeing personnel completed all required tests related to the aircraft's remote vision system, a point of concern for both the manufacturer and the military in recent months.

Other testing also was completed to clear the aircraft for an initial delivery that certified it can safely and reliably refuel F-16 Fighting Falcon and C-17 Globemaster III aircraft. The Pegasus already had been certified that it can accept fuel from a KC- 135.

The Pegasus' addition to the Air Force's fleet is important to Oklahomans. Pegasus aircrews will train at Altus Air Force Base, while the Air Logistics Center at Tinker Air Force Base will take care of the planes at a still-being-built maintenance center on the base's south side.

Delivery date is locked in

Officials said the successful completion of those test locks in a planned late October delivery date of the first KC-46A to the Air Force. The schedule also calls for an additional 17 aircraft to be delivered to the Air Force by April 2019.

Both Boeing and Air Force officials described Friday's announcement as a significant step forward for the $44 billion project awarded in 2011 to Boeing. The deal requires the manufacturer to provide the Air Force with 179 new tankers based on its 767-200 extended-range design.

"With this milestone complete, the test program has demonstrated a level of maturity that positions Boeing to deliver, and the Air Force to accept, an aircraft by the end of October," said Will Roper, assistant secretary of the Air Force for acquisition, technology and logistics.

Boeing and the Air Force also said Friday testing will continue to certify the Pegasus can safely and reliably refuel other Air Force, Allied and U.S. Navy aircraft and ultimately be declared mission ready. Operational testing for the aircraft is expected to begin in 2019.

Meanwhile, the manufacturer continues to work toward obtaining a Supplemental Type Certificate from the Federal Aviation Administration that approves the aircraft's military systems transforming the 767 into a tanker. Flight testing to obtain that certificate was completed in April.

New design is more flexible

The Pegasus is more flexible as a tanker because it carries both centerline boom and centerline drogue refueling systems as part of its basic configuration when it goes aloft. That means it can refuel Air Force, Navy, Marine and allied aircraft any time.

Completing required testing for a first delivery took some effort, especially because of concerns raised earlier this year related to the remote vision system, considered a centerpiece upgrade compared to the KC-135 and KC-10 tankers the Air Force uses now.

On current tankers, fueling system operators are required to work in aircraft tails to operate a boom or a drogue system connecting a tanker with an aircraft receiving fuel, viewing an evolution through a window.

On the Pegasus, however, the operator sits at a rear-facing, multiple screen console just behind the cockpit and uses a joystick and keyboard to control its boom and drogue systems using the remote vision system.

The system of seven cameras is capable of both day and night operations, using technology contractors previously developed for space-based operations.

https://newsok.com/article/5601364/...444d&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsok_email

Mark

Premium Subscriber
About 12:20 this afternoon a HOBO-1 with Pot departure FL 6k req direct KBLV
or Scott AFB. Using UHF all the way so don't know the type aircraft.

freqhopping

DRAGO flyover flight for the Home Run Derby now clearing out. Two request to go to R4006 to burn off some gas.
Looks like 2 F-16s and 2 F-22s.
F-22s chatting on 235.525 now

Mark

Premium Subscriber
9:00PM local AF-1 inbound Andrews apch 119.850 cleared down to 6k,nice strong signal from that tail :)

Times on RR board incorrect. showing 8:28pm when posted at 9:05PM?

DPD1

Hey guys... Happen to hear a STEELJAW 01 out here at Mugu today. That should be a Pax E-2, right? What unit exactly?

freqhopping

DRAGO51 staging for All Star Game flyover. 279.575
At 2010 a single F-18 does the flyover.
Heading into Andrews

Last edited:

Tech792

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys... Happen to hear a STEELJAW 01 out here at Mugu today. That should be a Pax E-2, right? What unit exactly?

Those E-2's and C-2's out of Norfolk fly over my work almost daily. Sometimes 2 at a time. They usually use the GREYHAWK callsign checking in with KWRI app on 124.15 at about FL 1,500-2,000 ft.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Notice a couple C-2A's from USS Harry Truman hitting New England today.
Guess the Truman has come West from Spain and working Northeast Atlantic off US/Canada

They always show RG1 or RG2 callsign.
A week ago these same tails into Spain and Lajes.
Always folks getting on and off carriers when near land.

Last edited:

BM82557

Were the AC's circling Martinsburg yesterday (Wednesday) C5's or C17's?

Sorry for the delayed response, C17 96-0006 was all I copied yesterday. Was active from about 11:15 until 14:30. I had a good view that afternoon as I was returning from Winchester.

ra7850

Premium Subscriber
Callsign Legion

On Wednesday of this week at around 915AM I was driving on 81 south near Indiantown gap and heard Colt 01 talking to Legion about any known threats in the area on 233.45. During the same group of transmissions Balky mentioned UAV's over the ridge line. Has anyone heard the call-sign Legion before? I have the audio I'm going to go back and review. I don't recall hearing about UAV's being used over the range at Indiantown Gap and no other transmissions. I travel this route almost daily and frequently hear range activity.

Robert

RadioDitch

Field Operations Member
Premium Subscriber
On Wednesday of this week at around 915AM I was driving on 81 south near Indiantown gap and heard Colt 01 talking to Legion about any known threats in the area on 233.45. During the same group of transmissions Balky mentioned UAV's over the ridge line. Has anyone heard the call-sign Legion before? I have the audio I'm going to go back and review. I don't recall hearing about UAV's being used over the range at Indiantown Gap and no other transmissions. I travel this route almost daily and frequently hear range activity.

Robert

Harrisburg also had a drone report I'm told, so I don't believe they were talking about military UAV's. Also, I recall Legion is one of the callsigns for Operations at PA ANG Air Station Fort Indiantown Gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.